College admissions consultants

They have both guaranteed and non-guaranteed programs. They recommended we start with the non-guaranteed, with the option of upgrading in the future.

We actually used a consultant in Lake Forest who didn't charge nearly as much. He helped our family out with test preparation and the college process.

My two daughters ended up going to Princeton and my son ended up going to Columbia.

Send me a message if you want his info.

When I went through my IEC, we didn't pay these crazy prices that were listed in the articles. I think that's a huge rip off from somebody trying to scare people into college readiness.

He also offered test preparation at fraction the price of Elite and my kids didn't have to spent their summers in class all day. The would go in a couple times a week over the summer and meet and do practice, and then go do their internships the rest of the time.

It ended up saving me a lot of time in the long run and help my kids stay organized

There definitely is a lot of information on the web for free, but a lot of it is outdated. Or, as my friend once told me, "you don't know what you don't know".

I worked with a consultant for my oldest, and my daughter was interested in nursing. We were originally only applying to California schools, but he instead redirected us to look at other schools that we had never even heard of before.

At the end of the day she got a full-ride to a phenomenal out-of-state school for nursing. She got into UCs as well, but the offered her next to nothing for financial aid.

At the end of the day, we ended up saving six-figures because we spent a few thousand dollars to have my oldest to work with somebody who would inform us about things that we didn't know about, and it wasn't for lack of trying. He also didn't charge the crazy price tag that I saw in the article. The guy I worked with only charged in the neighborhood for $4500. And this was comprehensive help for all four years of high school.

I understand that my daughter's situation is not going to apply to everybody, but I thought I'd just throw in my two cents.

Hold up. If you go to the UC website for admissions. I can tell you it?s up to date.

First you should tell people your child picked an impacted major.

If a person can not research or understand the college process then I would say hire a consultant.

Yes, the UC admissions website is updated. They have their statistics, we were aware of those statistics when we applied. We were also made quite clear about their impaction rates. We wanted some local options just in case our other options didn't pan out. I was referencing other data out there. For example, the net price calculator we used when calculating our family's contribution was not accurate. Certain news articles are written by people who have no experience with college admissions.

Less apparent, however, is most colleges financial aid policies. Joey walked us through the financial aid process from start to finish and made us aware of merit scholarship deadlines we didn't even know about. Even less apparent online is which school would be a great fit for our daughter. She didn't have the time, and we didn't have the money, to visit dozens of schools, and Joey had visited at least two hundred schools. He was able to point out schools that we had never heard of, nor would we ever have considered, but my daughter visited and was able to expand her horizons to beyond just CA.

He also worked in the admissions office for the UC schools as well as some very selective private schools. Heaven knows that the websites don't reveal anything about how they read applications or how they choose them. He broke down that process for our family as well. Our school counselor recommended that our daughter write her UC essays a certain, but our counselor, who had attended workshops with the UC admissions committee, told us that that information was false.

She ended up getting into all the UCs she applied to, so I guess his advice helped.

ocsamom said:
Yes, the UC admissions website is updated. They have their statistics, we were aware of those statistics when we applied. We were also made quite clear about their impaction rates. We wanted some local options just in case our other options didn't pan out. I was referencing other data out there. For example, the net price calculator we used when calculating our family's contribution was not accurate. Certain news articles are written by people who have no experience with college admissions.

Less apparent, however, is most colleges financial aid policies. Joey walked us through the financial aid process from start to finish and made us aware of merit scholarship deadlines we didn't even know about. Even less apparent online is which school would be a great fit for our daughter. She didn't have the time, and we didn't have the money, to visit dozens of schools, and Joey had visited at least two hundred schools. He was able to point out schools that we had never heard of, nor would we ever have considered, but my daughter visited and was able to expand her horizons to beyond just CA.

He also worked in the admissions office for the UC schools as well as some very selective private schools. Heaven knows that the websites don't reveal anything about how they read applications or how they choose them. He broke down that process for our family as well. Our school counselor recommended that our daughter write her UC essays a certain, but our counselor, who had attended workshops with the UC admissions committee, told us that that information was false.

She ended up getting into all the UCs she applied to, so I guess his advice helped.

thanks for sharing.  i think a good college consultant is worth their weight in gold.  the problem is finding that consultant.
even though there are plenty of materials online, forums, etc, admissions is an ever changing process and with the overcrowded schools here in Irvine, I doubt college counselors even know who each asian kid is. 

Agree. We went through a huge search process, and we found that there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who just wanted my money.

I'm happy to pass along my contact for anybody interested.

Back