March Home Prices Up 8.9% nationwide, biggest increase in four years

Burn That Belly said:
OC had a median sale price of $710,000. 9.2% y-o-y increase. That's actually quite affordable when you compare it to the bay area. SF has a shocking $1.4M median sale price with San Jose not too far behind at $1.26M. San Jose is seeing 32.3% y-o-y increase while SF is seeing 16.7% y-o-y increase.
https://www.redfin.com/blog/2018/04/market-tracker-march-2018.html

If you have two Twitter engineers @ $160K salary, that's $320K combined. How about an Irvine pharmaceutical rep @ $100K plus the RN spouse also at say $100K. $200K combined.

The twitter couple brings home $320K but have to pay for a $1.26M house.  The Irvine couple brings home only $200K, almost 40% less, but they only have to pay $710K for a house.  Which one is in a better shoe?

Anytime I think about how expensive RE is becoming here, I think to those other areas and realize it could be worse, haha.  All the new home inventory down here actually helps prices from spiraling out of control.

1 mil in SF buys you maybe 1000 sq ft.  Maybe.  And it's likely a fairly old home that'll need maintenance, etc...

So glad I bought in the summer of 2012. I?m not sure I would be able to stomach ?overpaying? for what my house costs now knowing what prices were just six years ago.

OCLuvr said:
Bigger question is: is it the end--are we closer to 2005 scenario or 2015?

My prediction is that housing prices will continue to rise until the next economic recession. There isn't any obvious triggers for a recession as there are no obscene asset bubbles (even tech is fairly reasonable) and there are no huge sources of debt driven demand to bust.

People seem pretty cautious now and recessions tend to come when no one expects them.

paperboyNC said:
OCLuvr said:

My prediction is that housing prices will continue to rise until the next economic recession. There isn't any obvious triggers for a recession as there are no obscene asset bubbles (even tech is fairly reasonable) and there are no huge sources of debt driven demand to bust.

People seem pretty cautious now and recessions tend to come when no one expects them.

Ex-Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan: 'We are in a bond market bubble' that's beginning to unwind

"We are in a bond market bubble" that's beginning to unwind, he said on "Squawk on the Street," as new Fed Chairman Jerome Powell appeared on Capitol Hill for the second time this week. "Prices are too high" on bonds, Greenspan added. Bond prices move inversely to bond yields, which spiked higher in the new year, recently hitting four-year highs of just under 3 percent.

Greenspan is in good company in predicting a bond price bubble.

Hedge fund manager Paul Tudor Jones, in an interview with Goldman Sachs, predicted a rise in inflation and a surge in the 10-year Treasury yield. Noted bond investor Bill Gross recently said the bear market in bond prices has begun. Billionaire investor Warren Buffett told CNBC on Monday he believes long-term investors should buy stocks over bonds.

paperboyNC said:
OCLuvr said:

+1

This is the most brief and logical argument I have seen on this and related topics

Lot of experts who make " bubble" prognostications are ultimately not held accountable when they are wrong .  There is no feedback loop.

bill Gross was famously wrong in 2011 , greenspan himself had no clue in 2000s as to what really was going on ... one is still managing lots of $$$ and the other collecting $$$ speaking fees

reason being, they have no skin in the game

fortune11 said:
paperboyNC said:
OCLuvr said:

+1

This is the most brief and logical argument I have seen on this and related topics

Lot of experts who make " bubble" prognostications are ultimately not held accountable when they are wrong .  There is no feedback loop.

bill Gross was famously wrong in 2011 , greenspan himself had no clue in 2000s as to what really was going on ... one is still managing lots of $$$ and the other collecting $$$ speaking fees

reason being, they have no skin in the game

Bubbles tend to last longer than anybody thinks possible due to the irrational exuberance involved.  This leads to lots of experts calling a bubble early and then getting flogged in the media when their predictions don't come true right away.  All of this is actually noise though.

A bubble isn't defined by when it pops.  It is defined by how irrational prices have gotten.

The bond market is the most overpriced it has ever been (down slightly from the highs now).  In Europe, they were actually paying negative yields, meaning it cost investors money to hold bonds.  That is insane.

The thing is we've been in this environment for about 10 years now, and many people have called a bubble, only to see yields go even lower and their reputations ruined.  Now that everybody has been wrong at least once, they've given up trying to call it, and are just enjoying the fat returns from stocks and real estate it has created. 

Everybody is complacent now.

perspectives.jpg

In the long run ... we are all dead anyways

Timing matters in everything in life.  A bubble that lasts for 5-6 years ( I have been hearing this bubble talk since 2013 btw) , is it really a bubble  ?

Bubble sounds like a nice word when it rolls off one's tongue but does it have any actionable ideas ? What would you have done if you believed we were in a bubble since last 5 years  ? sit around in cash and not own a home  ?

see where this logic takes you ?

fortune11 said:

Timing matters in everything in life.  A bubble that lasts for 5-6 years ( I have been hearing this bubble talk since 2013 btw) , is it really a bubble  ?

Bubble sounds like a nice word when it rolls off one's tongue but does it have any actionable ideas ? What would you have done if you believed we were in a bubble since last 5 years  ? sit around in cash and not own a home  ?

I already said a bubble is not defined by when it pops.  If you know the price of something is irrationally expensive, then you should avoid buying it, and if you already own it, you should attempt to sell at the optimal price.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

I already said a bubble is not defined by when it pops.  If you know the price of something is irrationally expensive, then you should avoid buying it, and if you already own it, you should attempt to sell at the optimal price.

Yes . and how do you define optimal ? rational ?

Fair value is known only in hindsight , not looking forward .  Despite what your financial advisor may sell you on ...

fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

Fair value is known only in hindsight , not looking forward .  Despite what your financial advisor may sell you on ...

Optimal = the best pricing you can get
Rational = using logic as opposed to emotion

Price is what you pay.  Value is what you receive in return.

Bubbles are not based on value, but on the irrational prices people are willing to pay.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

Bubbles are not based on value, but on the irrational prices people are willing to pay.

again more  buzzwords and copy and paste from financial textbooks (this one is from Benjamin graham  ?)  - this is why a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing if you start believe your own ___

Paying top dollar for a home in 2012 or 2013 was a lot better than getting a home after haggling the best price in 2018 . 

What was optimal ?  Just scooping up all the inventory you could find in 2013 without regards to pinching pennies  or trying to gain the optimal price for a home now . 

We hit 3% on 10y treasury in 2013 -- was that optimal level ? or was the 1.4% in 2016 optimal ?  is 3% now optimal  ?

You cannot invest based on buzzwords ...when you hear them without specifics, run as far away as you can ;)

Burn That Belly said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

That is true! I totally agree with that. I wouldn't pay $905K for that Silverleaf home that MM sold. But that doesn't stop some other sucker motivated buyer from getting emotionally wrapped up in their head and make an irrational emotionally-driven offer (well above appraisal) to get what they want. If they SEE value, then more power to them.

I don't necessarily think housing is in a bubble, but it is expensive.  My first two posts on this thread were regarding the bond market, which is near an all time high.

fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

again more  buzzwords and copy and paste from financial textbooks (this one is from Benjamin graham  ?)  - this is why a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing if you start believe your own ___

Paying top dollar for a home in 2012 or 2013 was a lot better than getting a home after haggling the best price in 2018 . 

What was optimal ?  Just scooping up all the inventory you could find in 2013 without regards to pinching pennies  or trying to gain the optimal price for a home now . 

We hit 3% on 10y treasury in 2013 -- was that optimal level ? or was the 1.4% in 2016 optimal ?  is 3% now optimal  ?

You cannot invest based on buzzwords ...when you hear them without specifics, run as far away as you can ;)

Yep, it's all so confusing for you.

Liar Loan said:
Burn That Belly said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

That is true! I totally agree with that. I wouldn't pay $905K for that Silverleaf home that MM sold. But that doesn't stop some other sucker motivated buyer from getting emotionally wrapped up in their head and make an irrational emotionally-driven offer (well above appraisal) to get what they want. If they SEE value, then more power to them.

I don't necessarily think housing is in a bubble, but it is expensive.  My first two posts on this thread were regarding the bond market, which is near an all time high.

this tells me you don't know much about the bond market or how it works ...

fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
Burn That Belly said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

this tells me you don't know much about the bond market or how it works ...

LOL...

Back