Child Safety Thread - Post Your Idea/Experience Here

StarmanMBA

When my children were growing up, I played handball with them and neighboring kids on our garage door.  That has to be the best possible use for a wooden garage door.  Metal is much too noisy and flimsy.

Anyway, when the foursquare ball would bounce into the street, every kid would rush out to get it.  I had to change their way of thinking to prevent being hit by a car.

Eureka!    Bribery.  "If the ball rolls out into the street, and a car runs over it, I will buy you TWO new ones.  No cheating.  It has to be an accident.  That goes for your bicycle or anything else. I'll give you two to replace the one. I can buy new bikes or handballs, but I can't buy a new you."

After that, you must believe me, they religiously looked for a car to come, perchance to get two new balls.  I never did have to buy any, but would have been more than happy to.

Since bicycles are in the discussion, I must add this tip on teaching beginners how to ride a bicycle for the first time.  Have you noticed how children simply freeze their arms when they start riding?  Locked into place.  The exact opposite  of how you really ride a bike.  So my tip for them is to wiggle the handle bars the moment they start peddling.
Back and forth, back and forth.  Make the movement natural from the outset, and when they feel the effects of the motion, they correct in the right way very quickly.  Mere minutes.

Continuing with bicycles AND safety, I have been riding for decades to keep in shape.
Only when there is no other alternative do I ride in a bike lane.  I always prefer to ride on sidewalks, in full view of the Irvine Police, who have never issued me a citation for riding on the sidewalk, so spare me your legal lectures.  I'm pretty sure they would rather you ride on sidewalks than respond to a call that you had been run over by a car.

When there are pedestrians ahead of me, I either ride on to the grass or else drop off the curb into the street, if necessary.  Sometimes I have stopped to let them pass.  They have the right-of-way.  Keep your kids and grandkids safe.  Tell them to ride on sidewalks, and wear a helmet.

Two separate and distinct ideas for child safety, which have been read 78 times, and ONE PERSON, LiarLoan, has recorded a "thank you."

This indicates that most all readers here are basically a bunch of ingrates.  I won't bother to post any more.  They're not appreciated, and nobody cares enough to contribute their own.

StarmanMBA said:
Two separate and distinct ideas for child safety, which have been read 78 times, and ONE PERSON, LiarLoan, has recorded a "thank you."

This indicates that most all readers here are basically a bunch of ingrates.  I won't bother to post any more.  They're not appreciated, and nobody cares enough to contribute their own.

How old are you?  Do you live for likes on Facebook too?

I actually just came across this thread and read the first two posts (befor the 3rd one) and was about to say great tips. Very much appreciate them. 

StarmanMBA said:
Continuing with bicycles AND safety, I have been riding for decades to keep in shape.
Only when there is no other alternative do I ride in a bike lane.  I always prefer to ride on sidewalks, in full view of the Irvine Police, who have never issued me a citation for riding on the sidewalk, so spare me your legal lectures.  I'm pretty sure they would rather you ride on sidewalks than respond to a call that you had been run over by a car.

When there are pedestrians ahead of me, I either ride on to the grass or else drop off the curb into the street, if necessary.  Sometimes I have stopped to let them pass.  They have the right-of-way.  Keep your kids and grandkids safe.  Tell them to ride on sidewalks, and wear a helmet.
I think I posted this somewhere but I also ride on the sidewalk when I can... esp when the kids are with me and it's on a major road.

I've seen how people drive distracted in Irvine... on their phones... and all it takes one text for them to sideswipe my rear tire and I'm tumbling into a curb.

But this goes back to your other post in another thread about letting your kids walk alone... you know there are possibilities of danger so you do what you can to minimize them. You'll ride on the sidewalk, I'll drive my kids from and to school.

irvinehomeowner said:
StarmanMBA said:

I think I posted this somewhere but I also ride on the sidewalk when I can... esp when the kids are with me and it's on a major road.

I've seen how people drive distracted in Irvine... on their phones... and all it takes one text for them to sideswipe my rear tire and I'm tumbling into a curb.

But this goes back to your other post in another thread about letting your kids walk alone... you know there are possibilities of danger so you do what you can to minimize them. You'll ride on the sidewalk, I'll drive my kids from and to school.
I grew up riding on sidewalks and when my kids start to learn to ride their bikes (without training wheels), they will also ride on sidewalks. I don't ride on streets unless I have on option (i.e, sidewalks are closed) for the very reasons you mention. 

Unrelated, any good methods to teaching kids to ride on there own? How old did those of you with kids start? 

irvinehomeowner said:
You'll ride on the sidewalk, I'll drive my kids from and to school.

Just don't complain about traffic, because you're a big part of the problem.
People have to  drive to work.  They do NOT have to drive little kiddies, and especially high schoolers, to and from school.

Notice how when I point out the lack of participation in this important thread people  take notice?  Which brings to mind another point of view I will now express in a new thread.

StarmanMBA said:
paydawg said:
How old are you?  Do you live for likes on Facebook too?

I have a daughter older than you, Junior.  I don't do Facebook.  Looks like I hit a nerve.

Look...your original post was fine and helpful and you even got a couple people to contribute.  But its your need for "thank you"s that is a little concerning.  It's a forum and it's Monday morning.  Most people will read a post but most likely not respond b/c they're busy with starting the work week. 

Overall, posts like yours are net positives, so I hope you keep at it.  Just no need to call the readers 'ingrates' if they can't contribute in a meaningful way or choose not to hit the 'thanks' button.

FYI - unless you're at least 70, I'm going to guess that I'm older than your daughter.  Also, I have a mother-in-law in her 80's and she's very active on Facebook.

Have a good one.

paydawg said:
Also, I have a mother-in-law in her 80's and she's very active on Facebook.

Off topic, but yeah FB was started for college kids, but now it's mostly for grandma's to share photos of the grandkids, and extreme SJW's to post memes all day in desperate pursuit of validation through likes.

paydawg said:
Look...your original post was fine and helpful and you even got a couple people to contribute.  But its your need for "thank you"s that is a little concerning.

NO, it did NOT get "a couple people to contribute" before I pointed out the ingratitude that permeates contemporary California, possibly all of America.

I don't "need" any thanks.  It is simply an observation.  You need to be more discerning.

Overall, posts like yours are net positives, so I hope you keep at it.  Just no need to call the readers 'ingrates' if they can't contribute in a meaningful way or choose not to hit the 'thanks' button.

They're just so "positive" that NOBODY responded, and only Liar Loan offered up his gratitude until I pointed these things out.  Ten, twenty people ignoring is one thing.
Seventy-eight over a period of several days, in a topic of this importance needs to be brought to the attention of the entire group.  It is reminiscent of the many real events of neglect perpetuated by the public, even in matters of life and death.

My wife fell on a public sidewalk in Woodbridge and lay injured and in great pain.  A woman walked past us as I lay down with my wife, and stepped around us, not saying a word.  Not a word. We didn't need her help, but what does that say about her?  Not us, her?   

BTB - You need to add Woodbridge to your signature. 

Starman - Sorry to hear about your wife.  Several years ago, my mom tripped on an uneven sidewalk in front of Staples Center and shattered her arm.  That woman should've helped, but there are enough scary stories out there that prevent people interacting with strangers.  That's the sad reality. 

Burn That Belly said:
So Starman lives in Woodbridge. That pretty much just sums it all up right there.

I didn't say that, and I don't live in Woodbridge.  BUT IF I DID, your smartass remark is as petty as it gets.  All you do is insult and act childish.

paydawg said:

Starman - Sorry to hear about your wife.  Several years ago, my mom tripped on an uneven sidewalk in front of Staples Center and shattered her arm.  That woman should've helped, but there are enough scary stories out there that prevent people interacting with strangers.  That's the sad reality.

Be afraid, Junior.  Be very afraid.  Should you or a beloved family member need assistance some time, you'll understand if nobody lifts a finger.  "Sad reality."
That  is a sad commentary, on people who express and practice it.

StarmanMBA said:
paydawg said:

Be afraid, Junior.  Be very afraid.  Should you or a beloved family member need assistance some time, you'll understand if nobody lifts a finger.  "Sad reality."
That  is a sad commentary, on people who express and practice it.

Look around. You live in FCB village city. Where these folks come from, they do not lend a finger. Why should they, they owe YOU nothing.

Bullsback said:
Unrelated, any good methods to teaching kids to ride on there own? How old did those of you with kids start? 

I also posted this somewhere before but I saw an FCB doing this at Stonegate:

1. Find a park that has a downhill grade
2. Have your kids coast down that "hill"
3. Repeat until they can pedal on their own
4. Then move them to a flat surface and voila... bike riding

The grass helps them maintain balance and... if they fall... it's soft. The downhill grade also helps them learn to keep balance as the forward momentum keeps them upright as they pedal.

Also, before they learned to ride bikes, I had them riding scooters so that already taught them 2-wheeler balance.

And I don't need any Thanks... that will make Starman jelly.

Bullsback said:

Not sure how old your kids are, but getting them started on balance bikes also help.  No training wheels needed.

Back