Northpark and Northpark Square

meccos12

What is everyone's opinion on Northpark and Northpark Square.  I like the location of these two villages and it seems like a nice area to live.

Northpark is beautifully landscaped and gated.  Floor plans kinda suck though.  Northpark Square has better floor plans but doesnt look as nice when driving through the neighbhorhood.   

Love to hear everyones opinion on these areas.

Burn That Belly said:
Both neighborhoods are zoned to Tustin Unified. It's not a terrible thing, but it's like buying a BMW with a Buick engine inside.

I don't think that's accurate.

The schools they are zoned to are IUSD level, probably the best schools in TUSD.

Northpark

Pluses:
Nice community design with multiple pools/parks/paseo etc...
Guard Gated
Relative value vs OH or NWP
MR is low relative to new construction
HOA is low for the amenities
Walkable to elementary and middle school
Walkable to two grocery stores/strip malls
Direct access to Hicks Canyon/Peters Canyon trail system
Excellent TUSD assigned schools

Cons:
Older homes/dated floor plans
Perception of inferior schools vs IUSD (whether this is deserved or not is debatable)
No view/elevation
Smaller lots vs older resale neighborhoods
Community is adjacent to the Toll Road

Burn That Belly said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Burn That Belly said:
Both neighborhoods are zoned to Tustin Unified. It's not a terrible thing, but it's like buying a BMW with a Buick engine inside.

The schools they are zoned to are IUSD level, probably the best schools in TUSD.

IUSD-"level"?

Haha. Hey a Buick engine is decent as well. 3.6L twin-turbo.

Nah... I would say buying BMW vs. Lexus... both are "luxury" cars... they just have different reputations.

irvinehomeowner said:
Burn That Belly said:

I agree... those tustin schools are pretty damn good.  Does it really matter if your kids went to Beckman vs Northwood?  It if was Tusin High I would have an issue, but Beckman is essentially like an IUSD school.

Besides the schools anyone else have any opinions on these neighborhoods?  I personally love the northpark neighborhood as it looks super clean and well kept.  However the floorplans there are not great.  Northpark square is the exact opposite.  Floor plans are great but neighborhood does not look at nice driving around.  With prices of northpark square being much lower, I wonder if people put more importance on what the houses look like from the street versus what it looks like inside.

iacrenter said:
Northpark

Pluses:
Guard Gated

Cons:
Perception of inferior schools vs IUSD (whether this is deserved or not is debatable)
No view/elevation

whats your opinion on northpark vs northpark sq besides the obvious such as the guard gate?

meccos12 said:
iacrenter said:
Northpark

Pluses:
Guard Gated

Cons:
No view/elevation

whats your opinion on northpark vs northpark sq besides the obvious such as the guard gate?

Most of the "pluses" for NP also apply to NP Sq. You also get ~30% cheaper HOA fees in NP Sq ($133 vs $176) but you also get less amenities as well (no tennis courts, no club house, etc...) Subjectively I also enjoy the community layout/aesthetics of NP vs NP Sq but your views may differ. You may need to check your latest stats but I thought  NP Sq trades at a slight discount per sq foot vs NP. So you may get a bigger bang for your buck. Home layouts in both communities are old.

Schools are the same but if you want to walk your elementary school child to Hicks Canyon, I would prefer NP. I would hate to walk across busy Irvine Blvd every morning and afternoon. Also OH Middle school will be a hike for you child if they walk. Biking wouldn't be so bad. Again NP is more central for both middle and elementary school.

Minor quibbles but if you like to run or bike NP has direct access to both Peters Canyon trail and Hicks Canyon trails and a shorter distance to access OH trails. NP Sq only has direct access to Peters Canyon trail. Also if you enjoy walking to you local strip malls, NP is slightly more central between NP Plaza and OH Shopping Center. Again these are minor difference and may mean little to some buyers.

Opinions will vary on the guard gate but I think the good outweighs the bad. It won't prevent crime but it certainly offers a visible deterrent. You will get less people trolling your neighborhood for crimes of opportunity and less sales people knocking at your door. It also offers the perception of exclusivity and safety which can help at resale time.

If TUSD is a Buick, IUSD would be a Hongqi:

640px-1959_Hongqi_CA72_03_--_Shanghai_Automobile_Museum_2012-05-26.JPG

meccos12 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Burn That Belly said:

I agree... those tustin schools are pretty damn good.  Does it really matter if your kids went to Beckman vs Northwood?  It if was Tusin High I would have an issue, but Beckman is essentially like an IUSD school.

Besides the schools anyone else have any opinions on these neighborhoods?  I personally love the northpark neighborhood as it looks super clean and well kept.  However the floorplans there are not great.  Northpark square is the exact opposite.  Floor plans are great but neighborhood does not look at nice driving around.  With prices of northpark square being much lower, I wonder if people put more importance on what the houses look like from the street versus what it looks like inside.

It matters for re-sale. 

Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
meccos12 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Burn That Belly said:

It matters for re-sale.

Agree. Image, brand, badge is everything. Doesn't matter if a Samsung Galaxy S(n) is better spec-wise than the Apple iPhone (n).  The Apple by far has better hype, resale value, as I've come to learn.  Used to own a Galaxy phone, after 2 years, the resale value was garbage. Never again.

I love my Galaxy phone...I don't need to resale it but that's a completely different discussion.

What's the current price difference PSF between NP and NP Square? 
I really like NP but couldn't find a house with a floorpan that worked.

Back