3 Car Garages

SenorIrvine

Why aren't new homes with 3 car garages more common in Irvine? I understand space is an issue but I don't see any homes with a three car garage. I would think that a family with 2-3 kids would need to have space for two cars, bicycles, sporting/camping equipment, etc.

Did I create this thread?

It's land. Even the big $2m+ homes only have 2-car garages... which baffles my mind.

BTB is right, if you are looking for a 3CWG (3-car wide garage), check the older hoods, in Irvine most of the 3CWGs are in Westpark I and II, Woodbridge, Turtle Rock, Northwood (including Point) and I think West Irvine.

BTB is wrong about driveway and resale value. The same home in the same area with a driveway should sell more than one without... because it's a bigger lot (are we doing to do the Irvinecommuter thing again?).

IHO has a point here

It is not just as simple as square footage and the extra price trade off

Homes with 3CWG (or more) are a unique product and while you may not realize their extra value rightaway/now when everything is burning red hot , they will attract additional pool of buyers when things slow down and 2CWG homes are available a dime a dozen.   

or people have a lot of stuff and like the storage option.

fortune11 said:
IHO has a point here

Homes with 3CWG (or more) are a unique product and while you may not realize their extra value rightaway/now when everything is burning red hot , they will attract additional pool of buyers when things slow down and 2CWG homes are available a dime a dozen. 

Burn That Belly said:
eyephone said:
or people have a lot of stuff and like the storage option.

fortune11 said:
IHO has a point here

HOA rules. Can't put stuff in your garage. Must store the maximum amount of vehicles owned/allowed first before using it to store overflowing Costco stuff. Otherwise, anglo-american gun-toting Republican neighbors will rat you out for taking their street parking.

Come on..
Why do people park there car on the street and not in the garage?

As far as I know, I've only see those HOA rules for 2-car garages or 2-car garage homes without a driveway.

For all the time I've owned a 3-car garage, no HOA has told me what to do with it... so that's some value-add for a 3-car garage... no HOA police.

Heck... my one neighbor turned their entire 3CWG into an entertainment area and had their kids friends over every weekend.

Burn That Belly said:
fortune11 said:
That is true. But eventually, who needs 3CWGs?  The future is self-driving uBer taxi's. There will be no need to buy/lease/rent cars anymore. The future is pick up your phone, press the app button, and a driver-less uBer car comes to pick you up at your door to take you to work/school.  No more oil changes, car maintenance, registration fees, car payments, charging stations, etc.  It's either pay-as-you-go or a monthly subscription-based plan. 

$49.99/mo. 5 days a week for economy car
$69.99/mo. 5 days a week for premium car
$99.99/mo. 5 days a week for executive car

3CWGs/driveways will be dinosaurs.  ;D

We are at least 20 years away from this, if it even happens. And if it does happen, this will only work in places like NYC.
3 car garages will always be preferred.

To add:

Finding someone who actually puts their 3rd car into their 3 car garage is like trying to find Unobtainium.

Our neighborhood is all 3CG, but I'd say 2 or 3 out of 50 homes put even 1 car in the garage. The 3CG is essentially the California equivalent of an East Coast basement.

There are a few non-custom "every day joe" home tracts around with 4CG, built primarily in Mission Viejo south to Laguna Niguel.

My .02c

SGIP

Back