Author Topic: Homeless camps coming to Irvine  (Read 20556 times)

Offline Burn That Belly

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 25
  • -Received: 100
Re: Homeless camps coming to Irvine
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2018, 10:47:48 PM »
Do you guys remember that Irvine lost the legal battle against the County regarding the expansion of the Musick jail. After multiple lawsuits, the County prevailed. The appeals court shot down the city. The city of Irvine tried to challenge the environmental review but clearly they couldn't prove shit.

https://www.ocregister.com/2015/07/02/musick-jail-expansion-plan-finally-moving-forward/

With the RAND and UCI study, the County will be able to prove demonstrate that "permanent housing" will benefit and aid the homeless, reduce costs, and minimize impact compared to just an ugly tent city.

Lawsuit will probably take years. In the meantime, GP residents have sometime to cash out now!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:57:31 PM by Burn That Belly »

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Lender, Abiding Dude.
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 425
  • -Received: 761
  • Make Room! Make Room!
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »
Permanent housing on City/County land is possible. Drive up Bristol, past SCP, and you'll find plenty of land Santa Ana has no idea what to do with on both sides of the Bristol Street. This isnt a case of NIMByism as most County services are in Santa Ana. Doesnt make much sense to disburse a population that needs access to help. Keeping the homeless close to the County center is reasonable. If the County and the City can work quickly, there are modular homes, even "Tiny Houses" that could be put in place quickly to alleviate the problem. 

When there are fires in SoCal, it's possible to lease aircraft from Canada, or fly in firefighters to help stop the flames. A similar response is needed now,
drawing in people, planners, and manpower to attack this problem with certain, not temporary measures. This present administration does not seem up to the task however.

My .02c

Offline Ready2Downsize

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 148
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »
Victorville is not a desert now a days. Lennar and other  builders sell homes there. They can build similar with the surplus money the county has...

Are you saying we should move the homeless to Victorville?

Should they just be rounded up, thrown on a bus and dropped off in Victorville?

Isn't that like dumping?

Offline ocgal

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2018, 12:34:25 AM »
If this is all Andrew Do's idea, let's take them down to little Saigon and drop them off at Mile Square park and he can figure it out. He had the Tet festival down there so maybe he can solve what he started. They can cruise to Hb and Long Beach and then bus it down barranca parkway if they really need to ride back to Irvine.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1889
  • -Received: 3368
  • 3CWG
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2018, 09:27:18 AM »
Interestingly, 600 residents from Laguna Niguel showed up at their town hall meeting, while Irvine only had 60 who showed up.

Not surprised. Isn't that what I said when I watched the replay video, I mentioned the seats at the Irvine meeting were nearly empty. Yet, the Laguna Niguel meeting was PACKED like sardines.

That goes to show two things. Maybe Irvine doesn't really give AF about this problem. Two. Nothing is more scarier than a room full of angry anglo-american republicans of south orange county! Don't want to mess with that. Irvine it is!

Or that a certain demographic is more opposed to homeless.

But if it were a cemetery... that’s where FCBs care. :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
Jokes aside, I do think Tustin Legacy is a better location for a homeless shelter due to its proximity to cities that have a high homeless rate.

So for the homeless moved out of the Santa Ana River area, what happens at the end of the 30-day motel stay?
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline Compressed-Village

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 103
  • -Received: 75
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2018, 09:45:12 AM »
Victorville is not a desert now a days. Lennar and other  builders sell homes there. They can build similar with the surplus money the county has...

Are you saying we should move the homeless to Victorville?

Should they just be rounded up, thrown on a bus and dropped off in Victorville?

Isn't that like dumping?

Quite frankly, yes. If they careless about themselves or what shiatholes they end up at night, then this is doing them a favor.

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2018, 09:47:20 AM »
Jokes aside, I do think Tustin Legacy is a better location for a homeless shelter due to its proximity to cities that have a high homeless rate.

So for the homeless moved out of the Santa Ana River area, what happens at the end of the 30-day motel stay?

They could get an extension. Motel owners will have a steady stream of full income coming from no vacancy for their motel, that 380 Million war chest will get use up in no time.

Another brilliant way to spend tax dollars while the costly litigation taken place.

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
  • -Given: 307
  • -Received: 215
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2018, 09:49:40 AM »
It's too bad Lion Country Safari is gone.  We could have dropped the homeless off there and had a Hunger Games-style tournament.  Last person not eaten by a lion wins!  It would keep the well-off locals entertained and also motivate the homeless to get off the streets and do something with their lives.  It would prove once and for all that OC is a leader in conservative politics.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
It's too bad Lion Country Safari is gone.  We could have dropped the homeless off there and had a Hunger Games-style tournament.  Last person not eaten by a lion wins!  It would keep the well-off locals entertained and also motivate the homeless to get off the streets and do something with their lives.  It would prove once and for all that OC is a leader in conservative politics.

Actually, let them camp in the upcoming wildlife corridor. It may help with the coyote problem.

#homelessgames
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »

Actually, let them camp in the upcoming wildlife corridor. It may help with the coyote problem.

#homelessgames

All worth considering  :)

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2018, 10:38:44 AM »
The drama unfolds. Irvine Mayor was caught on KFi radio station stating that the land that the homeless encampment will be on is contaminated and unsuitable for the homeless.  HAHAHAHA.

FYI: There is a protest being scheduled this Sunday at 11AM at the Great Park.  There's a rumor that residents will be handing out flyers at the Cadence Park Grand Opening as well. Residents are egging each other on to destroy their community image first and impact builder sales and shifting the pressure onto 5P.

Seriously, anybody in GP ought to consider getting out.  It's slowly turning into a circus of epic proportions.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:48:52 AM by Burn That Belly »

Offline MFWIC

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 11
  • -Received: 6
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
Are the new formerly homeless residents going to get free orange bikes?

Hey, I've been looking to buy one actually. Know anyone selling them?

I have one to sell $150, sitting in the garage pretty much new

Offline Maserson

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 19
  • -Received: 16
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »
Musick litigation did achieve some improvements. Number of inmates dropped from the original proposed 7000 to 3000 and they agreed to avoid housing high-risk inmates. Litigation will help Irvine at the expense of legal fees.

OC Supervisors are circling the wagons. Lisa Bartlett does not represent Irvine's best interest either with her (and Steel's) supposed proposal to move all 400 to the GP. I believe her district is up for re-election in 2018. Let her know how you feel.

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »
Musick litigation did achieve some improvements. Number of inmates dropped from the original proposed 7000 to 3000 and they agreed to avoid housing high-risk inmates. Litigation will help Irvine at the expense of legal fees.

OC Supervisors are circling the wagons. Lisa Bartlett does not represent Irvine's best interest either with her (and Steel's) supposed proposal to move all 400 to the GP. I believe her district is up for re-election in 2018. Let her know how you feel.

The Anglo-American south county constituents is the predominant demographic she represents. They probably have a much higher voter turn-out than Irvine does. Remember, 60 ppl showed up to the city council meeting while 600 ppl showed up to the Laguna Niguel one. That's probably because half of Irvine's residents are in "Jhina".  ;)  With that being said, maybe her constituents will re-elect her to protect the Laguna Niguel site.

If Irvine's city council is smart, they need to get together now and cut a deal with the county. As history has shown with prior litigations, I don't see how the city will prevail. There is too much federal funding/pressure and judicial pressure at stake. Even if this turns out to be a bluff move by the county to exert dominance, I would still reconsider any future housing purchase in the Great Park because you never know when the County will cook up another low blow. It ain't worth the fear, loss of sleep, temporary property value loss, and negative perception it has generated.

I have learned one thing out of all of this though> Never buy a piece of property without looking at the entire land ownership rights within a 3 mile radius.

As the saying goes in life, you win some, you lose some.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:32:27 AM by Burn That Belly »

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts