Author Topic: Homeless camps coming to Irvine  (Read 20555 times)

Offline Kings

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 48
  • -Received: 59
Re: Homeless camps coming to Irvine
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2018, 05:49:56 PM »
Looking forward to the new Great Homeless Park, featuring neighborhoods such as Needle Park and Tentgate!

Offline Happiness

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 269
  • -Received: 237
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2018, 05:59:53 PM »

No, I don't want them treated like dogs.  I'm just making a point that there are way better locations than GP for a homeless shelter.  Unless you have a car, that piece of land is useless, unless you enjoy seeing senior citizens take walks and kids play soccer/tennis.

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
  • -Given: 25
  • -Received: 100
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
Not to sound mean, even though I'm sure it will, but the homeless would find the Bee Canyon landfill much more fruitful than an empty piece of land next to a big orange balloon. 

A landfill would be a treasure trove for those people...food, discarded valuables, and decor that matches the tent city.

So you want to treat them like dogs? and sure enough, they will act like dogs. Why would society enable and perpetuate the problem even further?

No, I don't want them treated like dogs.  I'm just making a point that there are way better locations than GP for a homeless shelter.  Unless you have a car, that piece of land is useless, unless you enjoy seeing senior citizens take walks and kids play soccer/tennis.

Come on man, honestly?  Do you want me to start digging up the research which shows how harmful it is to live too close to a landfill let alone at ground zero? It's unhealthy, dangerous, toxic, and just downright inhumane.

I bet NONE of you guys know this but according to two researches, one from the RAND corporation... housing the homeless saves LA county money. Don't believe me? Here you go: https://la.curbed.com/2017/12/5/16738952/la-homelessness-housing-for-health-study

And two, UC Irvine, our bread and butter, EVEN conducted their own research: "The UCI study aimed to identify how much is spent on services and other costs related to homelessness. Focused on a 12-month period from 2014-15, the study found a total of $299 million spent on health care, law enforcement and other expenses.  The study found that it would be less expensive to invest in a Housing First approach than to pay for emergency and temporary services."

https://www.socsci.uci.edu/newsevents/news/2017/2017-03-08-homelessness-oc.php
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:09:41 PM by Burn That Belly »

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 269
  • -Received: 237
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2018, 06:14:26 PM »
Are the new formerly homeless residents going to get free orange bikes?

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »
Are the new formerly homeless residents going to get free orange bikes?

Hey, I've been looking to buy one actually. Know anyone selling them?

Offline Cornflakes

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 27
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »
Not to sound mean, even though I'm sure it will, but the homeless would find the Bee Canyon landfill much more fruitful than an empty piece of land next to a big orange balloon. 

A landfill would be a treasure trove for those people...food, discarded valuables, and decor that matches the tent city.

Not to mention ID theft treasure trove.

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
Lisa Barlett has issued a response and it is EXACTLY what I've been preaching for and a step in the right direction. Permanent housing as suggested by the rand and UCI study. However, that does not mean the location isn't going to be GP. It just means, instead of tent city, it will be beautiful-looking housing with showers, cafeteria, Simmons beautyrest beds  ;D, etc. for these folks. The rehabilitation they deserve to get them back on their feet. Keyword below is "permanent". Meaning, it's concrete foundation. You ain't gonna be able to move it nowhere!  ;D

"I am OPPOSED to relocating homeless individuals to a vacant property in Laguna Niguel. It has always been my vision to develop a beautiful downtown center with retail, restaurants, homes, and a community center. This is a vision which is still being actively pursued with the City’s cooperation. The Laguna Niguel site does not adequately address public safety concerns. There will be NO homeless people relocated to the Laguna Niguel site near the City Hall.

I have confirmed a meeting with Federal Judge David Carter, seeking judicial relief on all relocation sites, including Laguna Niguel, Huntington Beach, and Irvine.

Supervisor Steel and I will request that the Orange County Board of Supervisors reconsider all homeless shelter siting at the March 27 Board meeting.
Orange County is facing a homelessness crisis of epic proportions. For years I have supported the creation of permanent supportive housing because it is the necessary long-term solution to homelessness. There are no easy answers to address our immediate need to respond to this crisis situation. In my haste, I supported an ill-conceived proposal that I now realize is distracting us from our real focus – building permanent supportive housing across Orange County in collaboration with cities.

I have a proven track record on public safety and working to solve the County's homeless crisis. There is a significant amount of confusion and concerns about how and why we got here, but I am 100% committed to fixing this issue."

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:46:03 PM by Burn That Belly »

Offline WTTCHMN

• Thanks
  • -Given: 14
  • -Received: 249
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »
OC Supervisors Lisa Bartlett and Michelle Steel want to move all 400 homeless to the Great Park instead:

"Bartlett also said she and Supervisor Michelle Steel will introduce an agenda item next week that the 400 people be moved to the El Toro Marine Base site."

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/21/three-cities-identified-by-county-as-possible-relocation-sites-for-homeless-now-exploring-legal-options-to-fight-plan/

Bartlett represents a portion of Irvine (Turtle Ridge, Shady Canyon, and Quail Hill).  Last night, she recanted her vote, stating "she, too, opposed the Laguna Niguel location but that she voted to approve the plan because she knew if she didn’t, the judge would immediately put Laguna Niguel at the top of the list. She vowed to help Laguna Niguel fight the plan to bring a temporary homeless camp to their community."

OC Supervisor Todd Spitzer represents the remainder of Irvine.  Last night, he pandered instead to the community of Laguna Niguel by stating, "he voted against the plan because he knew the Laguna Niguel site would end up being the No. 1 choice. He said Irvine’s litigious community would immediately file a lawsuit and that the “methane-filled” Huntington Beach site would be found unreasonable."

Spitzer does not currently represent any portion of Laguna Niguel, but he is running for OC District Attorney in the next election.

It's funny watching all of these politicians doublespeak while they try to cover their asses.

Interestingly, 600 residents from Laguna Niguel showed up at their town hall meeting, while Irvine only had 60 who showed up.

Offline bones

• Thanks
  • -Given: 186
  • -Received: 1011
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2018, 09:09:15 PM »
Where specifically is the el toro marine base site?  Is that different than the marine way location?

Offline Dresden215

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 14
  • -Received: 40
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2018, 09:33:32 PM »
why cant they build a community for them in outskirts like victorville or something similar.. where the land is cheap and they can grow as a community.

Slab City in Niland is an area well suited for those who choose to be homeless because they don’t want to follow the rules.

Offline IrvineLife

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »
This is just crazy!

OC Supervisor Lisa Bartlett refers to the El Toro Marine Base location, and wants to move the homeless there instead of her district of Laguna Niguel. El Toro Marine Base is exact location of the Orange County Great Park:  Marine Way and Ridge Valley location!! 

There are homes and children, seniors, families living across the street!

Relocating the homeless to temporary tent shelters is NOT answer.  There needs to be long term solutions to address mental health, addiction, violence, poverty.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 204
  • -Received: 486
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
If shelter created: I might possibly donate  ;)

Donate your GP home? Dang, baller!

Donate clothes

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2018, 10:09:12 PM »
Interestingly, 600 residents from Laguna Niguel showed up at their town hall meeting, while Irvine only had 60 who showed up.

Not surprised. Isn't that what I said when I watched the replay video, I mentioned the seats at the Irvine meeting were nearly empty. Yet, the Laguna Niguel meeting was PACKED like sardines.

That goes to show two things. Maybe Irvine doesn't really give AF about this problem. Two. Nothing is more scarier than a room full of angry anglo-american republicans of south orange county! Don't want to mess with that. Irvine it is!

Offline IrvineLife

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »
Where specifically is the el toro marine base site?  Is that different than the marine way location?

El Toro Marine Base is the same location as the Marine Way - OC Great Park, people use the base reference to make it sound like no lives there.

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »
The original GP plans NEVER ever CARED about the site just beneath Marine Way. That's because the county cut a deal in 2003 as part of the annexation that the county would get ownership rights to it and promise to use it for "governmental" use.

Sometime in 2017, the county released detailed plans for retail, shopping, commercial, hotels, etc. 5Point and TIC was pissed off so they threatened litigation and said "government-use" does not include commercial.

To make a stink, the county said "Oh, you want to play that game? Let me show YOU what's 'government'-use. I'll bust out my $183M in mental health fund that I stashed away' and now will show you 'government-use' by building these homeless shelters".

I don't see how the city will be able to argue the legality with regards to the term "government-use" anymore.  Checkmate.

This is what happens when elected officials of the city are trigger happy hot heads with lawsuit-tendencies. The County brought an even bigger gun to the battlefield.

Honestly, the retail center by the County would have been a SUPERB thing for all GP residents in terms of property values. Sure traffic would have gone up, but so would your property values. Location Location Location.  I will gladly trade 10 minutes more of daily commute time for $150K more of appreciation.

Well played by the County. Hats off.

The County's "vision" that Irvine rejected due to fear of competition:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:42:30 PM by Burn That Belly »

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts