Distance between house and freeway

momopi

Per the discussion in another thread, here's a "distance calculator" published on LA Times that will help you determine the distance between a house and the nearby freeway:
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-freeway-pollution/

Pollution such as UFP (ultra fine particles) can extend to 2,000 ft upwind and 8,000 ft downwind (1.5 miles) from freeway or busy roads.  Factors such as barriers (sound wall, vegetation), elevation, and proximity to busy interchange will all impact the pollution spread.

Air filters that remove UFP won't necessarily filter chemicals such as carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds (VOCS), benzene, or butadiene.  Systems with multi-layer filters might work better.

Basic filter systems like the Coway AP-1512HH cost $230, more expensive Rabbit Air MinusA2 $550.  Note that as the price goes up so does the cost of replacement filters.  The Rabbit Air multi-layer filter sets are $95.

Important data if you live near the 55 parking lot freeway where idle time pushes more soot into the air that other freeways. Worse still would be the 710 with all of the diesel truck emissions. A big meh IMHO when living near the 241 Toll Road, which barely sees traffic under 70 miles per hour and only during Santa Ana conditions is soot blown back into Irvine.

My .02c

SGIP

Soylent Green Is People said:
Important data if you live near the 55 parking lot freeway where idle time pushes more soot into the air that other freeways. Worse still would be the 710 with all of the diesel truck emissions. A big meh IMHO when living near the 241 Toll Road, which barely sees traffic under 70 miles per hour and only during Santa Ana conditions is soot blown back into Irvine.

My .02c

SGIP

Agreed. I live near the 241 and their map says I'm in the death zone. A relative that backs Irvine Blvd is in the clear.

IMO Irvine Blvd has a lot more traffic than the 241 - but I could be wrong.

Back