OK Home Sellers... which buyer concession is more important than others?

I prefer offers that have

• Total voters

sgip

With so many buyers chasing so few listings, there is an obvious push to price. I didn't list "cash vs finance" or "highest and best price" because these two tend to come naturally to a sellers market. The poll is more about the little things in an offer that to you, the seller, mean more than just how strong of a price you can get right now.

PS - results only viewable if you are logged in.

My .02c

SGIP

It is hard to say...I mean it depends on the situation.  The rent thing is good if the other side is waiting on another place/house and if they have kids.   

Using same agent is a bad idea.

Recent seller and the first and last things are the only two things I cared about. It?s a newer home so I wasn?t worried about the inspection, knew it would appraise based on neighborhood comps and since my agent was also the buyer?s agent, I was pretty comfortable with the loan piece.

Is this about primary, rental investment, or flip investment?  My selling strategies on all 3 are very different.

For primary, having never sold our primary, I imagine rent back will be important to provide time for the next house to be ready.

For investments whether rental or flip, removing all contingencies is worth a lot.  I hate cancelled escrows.  More time in selling means my return is lower and it further delays moving to the next opportunity.

I have had multiple offers and have taken an offer $10K less that the highest because all contingencies have been removed.

Buyers - take note. Here's the first "money quote" of the thread IMHO

I have had multiple offers and have taken an offer $10K less that the highest because all contingencies have been removed.

So far 1 and surprisingly 4 lead the pack.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:

My .02c

All contingencies removed is a huge thing...it's basically all cash deal at that point.

I'm currently in escrow - selling my investment condo. I negotiated off market and took slightly less than what I could've gotten in a multiple offer scenario. But, it was offset by the fact that the agent was taking 3% and the buyer deposited a larger than normal EMD w/ zero contingencies. Oh, and the buyer bought it sight unseen...literally did not see the condo until 2 weeks after the accepted offer.

Also, MLS rules dictate that status has to change within 72 hours.  Seeing a house go from Active to Pending and then back makes you wonder why the first buyer backed out.  Sellers prefer not having to go back and forth.  As a seller, I will accept your offer with contingencies if you remove them within 1-2 days.  That means having a reliable home inspector on deck who is fast at communicating. 

And for markets like Irvine where the products are so similar and the comps are easy to find, loan and appraisal contingencies mean little. 

We have bought in areas where there is a 50% swing on the same block with no appraisal contingency.  Its not really a big deal.  On a $1M property, it might be an extra $20K at closing from you.  Not the end of the world if you really want the property.

Leader board shifted to Longer Rent Back and Waived Loan Contingency - which makes sense given comments so far.

My .02c

SGIP

Seems like a longer rent back is the clear favorite. As a note, lenders are OK with 30-45 day rent backs, with 60 days being a "case by case" issue.

We will often see in an offer a 90 day rent back to signal flexibility to the Seller, but once in escrow, expect the number of days to be dialed back by an Underwriter as a condition of loan approval.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:

My .02c
I won the bidding for our house by waiving appraisal contingency and providing a 10 day loan contingency

How does a 30-45 day rent (after COE) back help much?  Assuming the sellers have to find and purchase a new home that also has a 30 day COE period, that doesn't give them any time to open escrow on the new purchase.

Back