Author Topic: Once again...nothing to be done but prayers and thoughts  (Read 15900 times)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 539
  • -Received: 439
Re: Once again...nothing to be done but prayers and thoughts
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2018, 11:25:23 AM »
Additionally I am gonna say it...that we spend an inordinate amount of time on things that really affect a minuscule percentage of the population.  Let's be honest, the likelihood that your child will be killed in an assault style mass shooting at his or her school is worse that winning the lottery.  I am not discounting the pain and anguish of these families but the 24/7 drumbeat makes it seem that this happens every day of every week in every city and state...it doesn't.  For a kid to be afraid to go to school because he may be massacred is tantamount to me spending my lottery winnings from my eventual win Friday night.  But we will talk about this endlessly just like gender neutral bathrooms (.0001%) of the proliferation  or campus gang rapes (.001%) or nooses in trees on campus (.001%). These things fortunately,  will not touch many, if any of us, in our lifetimes but it's all the rage to talk about...OK fire at will.

We are apparently supposed to gear gun policy, the structure of schools, teacher's skill, and a bunch of other things around a tiny population of people who really really like their guns.

Offline Kings

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 87
  • -Received: 119
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
Additionally I am gonna say it...that we spend an inordinate amount of time on things that really affect a minuscule percentage of the population.  Let's be honest, the likelihood that your child will be killed in an assault style mass shooting at his or her school is worse that winning the lottery.  I am not discounting the pain and anguish of these families but the 24/7 drumbeat makes it seem that this happens every day of every week in every city and state...it doesn't.  For a kid to be afraid to go to school because he may be massacred is tantamount to me spending my lottery winnings from my eventual win Friday night.  But we will talk about this endlessly just like gender neutral bathrooms (.0001%) of the proliferation  or campus gang rapes (.001%) or nooses in trees on campus (.001%). These things fortunately,  will not touch many, if any of us, in our lifetimes but it's all the rage to talk about...OK fire at will.

And the reason for this is 24/7 news coverage and trending tweets.  Tragedies are the media's wet dream.  The media profits off of the country's losses.  Think about that one.

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Lender, Abiding Dude.
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 463
  • -Received: 802
  • Make Room! Make Room!
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
Irvinecommuter... it's already established that there is no such thing as an "Assault Rifle". Even if such a thing existed, that's not what the Florida shooter used. Perhaps you mean a weapon with a high caliber magazine that's modified to shoot as a machine gun - which is an AK47. Not really seeing any AK's being used in that list.

Let's try this another way.

There are more guns than teachers today.

There are too many kids killed by other kids in school shootings.

Yet....There are far more children raped by teachers than there are kids being killed by other kids in school shootings. This is a terrible fact.

Teachers, being fewer in number than guns, statistically represent a much higher risk percentage to school children than guns ever do.

As far as my Google-Fu will take me using only "IUSD teacher accused of" I show in the last 4 years roughly 3 IUSD employees accused of raping children, and yet -0- school shootings on an IUSD campus. Which then is the greater threat at an IUSD campus, a teacher or a gun?

At this point in time, if you haven't already been protesting child rape as loudly as school shootings, there's still time to get involved. Will you work as hard to ban teachers as you do to ban inanimate objects like guns? If not, then don't your actions demonstrate that you quietly support teacher rapists instead of victimized kids?

Actions, as it's been said, speak louder than words.

My .02c

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:00:42 AM by Soylent Green Is People »

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2018, 11:49:52 AM »
Irvinecommuter... it's already established that there is no such thing as an "Assault Rifle". Even if such a thing existed, that's not what the Florida shooter used. Perhaps you mean a weapon with a high caliber magazine that's modified to shoot as a machine gun - which is an AK47. Not really seeing any AK's being used in that list.

Let's try this another way.

There are more guns than teachers today.

There are too many kids killed by other kids in school shootings.

Yet....There are far more children raped by teachers than there are kids being killed by other kids in school shootings. This is a terrible fact.

Teachers, being lower in number than guns, clearly represent a much higher risk percentage to children than guns do.

The raging epidemic of child rape by teachers, just as the lower in number but terrible none the less epidemic of school shootings is caused not by inanimate objects (guns) but by those who use these guns or in the case of raping teachers their place of authority to harm kids.

At this point in time, if you haven't already been protesting child rape as loudly as school shootings, there's still time to get involved. Will you work as hard to ban teachers as you do to ban inanimate objects like guns? If not, then don't your actions demonstrate what you quietly support? Actions, as it's been said, speak louder than words.

My .02c

The assault weapons ban is literally the name of the bill:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

Somehow, we seem to be not able to deal with two separate issues at the same time and we also require teachers to be licensed and pass background checks.

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 125
  • -Received: 67
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
How can there be a ban on a firearm that our military and police may carry while maintaining our 2nd amendment rights?
The 2nd amendment doesn't exist so we can go hunting.  It exists so that we can defend our property and our rights.

Like I said early on.  If you want constitutional gun control, then you need to repeal or change the 2nd amendment. 

Yes, many judges uphold unconstitutional laws.  That's because our judges would rather help legislate based on their own opinions than do their jobs right. 

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »
How can there be a ban on a firearm that our military and police may carry while maintaining our 2nd amendment rights?
The 2nd amendment doesn't exist so we can go hunting.  It exists so that we can defend our property and our rights.

Like I said early on.  If you want constitutional gun control, then you need to repeal or change the 2nd amendment. 

Yes, many judges uphold unconstitutional laws.  That's because our judges would rather help legislate based on their own opinions than do their jobs right.

Nope...cause you know SC and judges interpret the Constitution.  It's in the Constitution.

Laws that are upheld by Supreme  Court and judges are by definition...constitutional. 

And you know who enacted those laws?  The legislative branch!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:49:43 PM by Irvinecommuter »

Offline fortune11

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 83
  • -Received: 104
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
And yes — Responsible adults have no problem trusting the country’s highest office to someone whose qualifications were running beauty pageants and hosting the Apprentice !

But damn , these immature kids :)

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
Nope...cause you know SC and judges interpret the Constitution.  It's in the Constitution.

Laws that are upheld by Supreme  Court and judges are by definition...constitutional. 

And a tomato is legally a vegetable because of those sorts of things.  The Supreme Court is often a joke.  The courts are often a joke.  Do you really think every SC ruling has been correct?

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2018, 01:32:58 PM »
I am curious how many Bump Stock mass shooting incidents there have been.  I know of the Las Vegas incident.  Any others?

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 89
  • -Received: 318
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »

And a tomato is legally a vegetable because of those sorts of things.  The Supreme Court is often a joke.  The courts are often a joke.  Do you really think every SC ruling has been correct?

Careful, you don't what to cross any veggie libel laws...  (also real things)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »

I didn't realize  Nix v. Hedden involved a constitutional issue...please identify constitutional issues in that case for me.

Correct is highly subjective...constitutional is determined by the courts, including the Supreme Court.   

So again...by definition a law is constitutional if the Supreme Court says it is...it's in the Constitution.  While the Supreme Court did affirm an individual person's right to own a gun, it also concluded that the government has the right to regulate such a right, like all constitutional rights.

Courts have repeatedly found that laws prohibiting military style weapons, requiring background checks, imposing waiting periods, limiting magazine sizes, etc. are in fact constitutional. 

https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2018/02/economist-explains-14

In fact, the 4th Circuit has held that military style weapons are not even covered by the 2nd Amendment.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-otc-guns/second-amendment-does-not-apply-to-assault-weapons-en-banc-4th-circuit-idUSKBN1612PU
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:59:47 PM by Irvinecommuter »

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 89
  • -Received: 318
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »
Courts have repeatedly found that laws prohibiting military style weapons, requiring background checks, imposing waiting periods, limiting magazine sizes, etc. are in fact constitutional.

Yea, so what is it you want for gun control?

List it out.

I say list it out because I think the majority want the above.  I often find the 'gun control' blanket though has people sliding in 'fixing' the negligence laws (really meaning making manufacturers responsible for illegal use of the guns) and 'requiring' "insurance" or "training courses"  which often sounds more like voter literacy tests of the segregated south than an actual training course and backhanded attempt to make gun ownership financial impossible.

Online morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 193
  • -Received: 198
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »

We are apparently supposed to gear gun policy, the structure of schools, teacher's skill, and a bunch of other things around a tiny population of people who really really like their guns.

Not at all. Thankfully, I don’t know anyone who’s child was slaughtered in a school mass shooting. I doubt many do also.  However, I know scores of people who own these types of weapons. I bet many here do. It’s not a tiny population, it’s much more than you think.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »

Not at all. Thankfully, I don’t know anyone who’s child was slaughtered in a school mass shooting. I doubt many do also.  However, I know scores of people who own these types of weapons. I bet many here do. It’s not a tiny population, it’s much more than you think.

And many of those who own guns are for gun control.  It's the tiny minority of gun owners who support the stances advocated by the NRA and gun makers.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/01/28/strong-majority-of-americans-nra-members-back-gun-control

Offline fortune11

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 83
  • -Received: 104
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »
This is the only language these people understand — when it starts to hurt them in the pocketbook

BlackRock has questions for gun companies after Florida massacre

By Danielle Wiener-Bronner February 22, 2018: 6:20 PM ET
BlackRock has some questions for gun companies about their response to the school shooting in Florida.
The giant investment management company "will be engaging with weapons manufacturers and distributors to understand their response to recent events," spokesperson Ed Sweeney said in a statement.
BlackRock (BLK) is the largest shareholder in gunmakers Sturm Ruger (RGR) and American Outdoor Brands (AOBC). It is the second-largest shareholder in Vista Outdoor (VSTO).

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Flip or Flop by eyephone
[Today at 09:01:55 PM]

Re: Flip or Flop by daedalus
[Today at 09:00:03 PM]

Re: Bull run in housing over??? by Compressed-Village
[Today at 08:55:04 PM]