Irvine still discriminates

Burn That Belly said:
I was in line today to buy flowers for V-day. When the lady asked for my credit card, she didn't ask for my ID. Afterwards I moved over to the side to write my card. A "dark skinned" gentlemen came in and grabbed a large bouquet priced similar to what I was buying and said "I'll take this". He hands over the credit card and the lady says "Umm... if you don't mind can I see your ID?"  ;D ;D

There's Irvine for ya.

That's the United States for you.

Burn That Belly said:
I was in line today to buy flowers for V-day. When the lady asked for my credit card, she didn't ask for my ID. Afterwards I moved over to the side to write my card. A "dark skinned" gentlemen came in and grabbed a large bouquet priced similar to what I was buying and said "I'll take this". He hands over the credit card and the lady says "Umm... if you don't mind can I see your ID?"  ;D ;D

There's Irvine for ya.

Consider going to Costco for flowers.  ;)
(that?s if you want a deal)

End discrimnation and reduce credit card fraud. US banks need to enable Chip and PIN like the rest of the world.

Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:

There's Irvine for ya.

That's the United States for you.

You're still living in the 1970's.

Irvine is much better actually than other parts of OC , where it is maybe more obvious ? I am thinking Newport Beach , Costa Mesa ...

fortune11 said:
Irvine is much better actually than other parts of OC , where it is maybe more obvious ? I am thinking Newport Beach , Costa Mesa ...

Why?  What happens in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa?

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

People?s attitudes ?- either condescending behavior or  outright aggressiveness  .  Does not necessarily relate to racism in every case (some people are just jerks no matter what) ? but i actually find Irvine somewhat more accommodating in this regard given the diversity . That?s my point

It was at a gas station in Costa Mesa last year or so when a young ?dude was being obnoxious to this older Asian couple and pretended not to understand them and was making fun of them to his buddy , right in front of them . When I could not take take it anymore , I gave him a piece of mind and dressing down right then and there . Delayed the line a bit , but was all for s good cause :)

fortune11 said:
People?s attitudes ?- either condescending behavior or  outright aggressiveness  .  Does not necessarily relate to racism in every case (some people are just jerks no matter what) ? but i actually find Irvine somewhat more accommodating in this regard given the diversity . That?s my point

It was at a gas station in Costa Mesa last year or so when a young ?dude was being obnoxious to this older Asian couple and pretended not to understand them and was making fun of them to his buddy , right in front of them . When I could not take take it anymore , I gave him a piece of mind and dressing down right then and there . Delayed the line a bit , but was all for s good cause :)

Ok, so you had one incident that makes you write off entire cities.  I was at a park in Little Saigon with my dad when a group of Vietnamese teens started making very loud comments about "fuckin' white people" and acting threateningly towards us.  We weren't even bothering them just minding our business.  I've also been at a park in Anaheim and had a Mexican guy ask "What is this White People's day?".  I've also been at a store in Garden Grove and had a Mexican guy question "What's with all the White boys in here?"  It happens.

Anaheim, Garden Grove, and Westminster are more diverse than Irvine btw, so I don't think the label of "diverse" city means anything.  What you really mean is you feel more comfortable in a city that is more Asian and not as heavily white as CM and NB are.  That's probably the reason why many Asians are willing to overpay to live in Irvine, even though it isn't as nice as Newport Beach.

I think generally cities where the population are well educated will tend to be more tolerant of different cultures.

Or at least, there is less outward racism in the way of aggressive posturing, name calling, brawls, fight, etc.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

Ok, so you had one incident that makes you write off entire cities.  I was at a park in Little Saigon with my dad when a group of Vietnamese teens started making very loud comments about "fuckin' white people" and acting threateningly towards us.  We weren't even bothering them just minding our business.  I've also been at a park in Anaheim and had a Mexican guy ask "What is this White People's day?".  I've also been at a store in Garden Grove and had a Mexican guy question "What's with all the White boys in here?"  It happens.

Anaheim, Garden Grove, and Westminster are more diverse than Irvine btw, so I don't think the label of "diverse" city means anything.  What you really mean is you feel more comfortable in a city that is more Asian and not as heavily white as CM and NB are.  That's probably the reason why many Asians are willing to overpay to live in Irvine, even though it isn't as nice as Newport Beach.

I could totally see that coming - the dreaded ?one example ? that you can latch on to

Obviously one example is not statistics or hard data

So then , why don?t we look at increases in reported hate crimes in n Costa Mesa ? Would you expect to see an increase

There is a reason trump held his rally in  Costa Mesa and not in Laguna beach? . You can pretend not to understand what I am saying but everyone know what this means

And don?t assume I am Asian just because I got worked up over that gas station exchange. Now who is making everything about race :)

If you have stats on increases in hate crimes go ahead and post them.  That's why I asked and you pointed to a single incident, which incidentally, is not a hate crime - just the actions of an obnoxious guy that could have easily happened in Irvine too.

Trump also held a rally in Anaheim.. So I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  Please explain.

Lets be clear:
1. The OP story is not a hate crime.
2. The retail rep was doing her job regarding asking for ID with the purchase with a credit card.

If he went to Costco like I did. (aka the deal maker) He wouldn?t come across the unjust action that the sales rep did. Lol (it?s not a big deal)

eyephone said:
Lets be clear:
2. The retail rep was doing her job regarding asking for ID with the purchase with a credit card.

If he went to Costco like I did. (aka the deal maker)

He wouldn?t come across the unjust action that the sales rep did. (it?s not a big deal)

Agree ? to me , the premise of the thread subject is unfounded . This is in no way discrimination or hate crime. Irvine is as far removed as any

As someone else pointed out , education level matters a lot here

Trump ?s Base is not distinguished by their incomes (they ar actually better off than average ) , but by lack of education which is the common thread

Burn That Belly said:
fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
Lets be clear:

He wouldn?t come across the unjust action that the sales rep did. (it?s not a big deal)

Agree ? to me , the premise of the thread subject is unfounded . This is in no way discrimination or hate crime. Irvine is as far removed as any

Trump ?s Base is not distinguished by their incomes (they ar actually better off than average ) , but by lack of education which is the common thread

Agree. Although my story is just a single data sample point, that is enough to get any business in legal trouble. Case in point, there was a black woman who recently went to Staples and asked the check out clerk to use the restroom. The check out clerk told her the restroom was broken and not available. Later, she found out the restroom was indeed available and offered by another clerk.  Now you can imagine the shitstorm legal trouble that came after. She is now suing Staples. (https://www.eurweb.com/2018/02/sherri-shepherd-accuses-staples-racial-profiling-restroom-incident-watch/)

A single sample data point of discrimination is all it takes for people to cry wolf and sue.

I totally agree that it is easy to conflate discrimination w simple rage

But lot of times people stereotype and discriminate without even knowing that they are doing so, because they fail to put themselves  in the other persons shoes

Just as a a fish swimming in water probably does not know it is swimming in water (and there is a whole world full of air or non water outside ) , other well meaning people can go entire lives that way , cos that?s how it?s supposed to be dun

Burn That Belly said:
fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
Lets be clear:

Agree. Although my story is just a single data sample point, that is enough to get any business in legal trouble. Case in point, there was a black woman who recently went to Staples and asked the check out clerk to use the restroom. The check out clerk told her the restroom was broken and not available. Later, she found out the restroom was indeed available and offered by another clerk.  Now you can imagine the shitstorm legal trouble that came after. She is now suing Staples. (https://www.eurweb.com/2018/02/sherri-shepherd-accuses-staples-racial-profiling-restroom-incident-watch/)

A single sample data point of discrimination is all it takes for people to cry wolf and sue.

If you saw the clerk at the flower shop tell the man they were out of flowers and then saw another person buy flowers. Then I would say something is wrong.
The clerk asking for ID is a non-issue.

Back