Costco stores in Tustin, Pacoima test computerized food-court ordering kiosks

Many years ago the Taco Bell in Irvine installed something similar, but didn't last long.  Let's see if this stays.

momopi said:
Many years ago the Taco Bell in Irvine installed something similar, but didn't last long.  Let's see if this stays.

They put them back in as to the Taco Bell on Von Karmen/Barranca.  It works okay...feels off having to do the work myself and tapping a pad instead just telling a clerk what I want.  It probably cuts down on mistakes but otherwise it's pretty impersonal.

I like the one for Costco just because of the line.

They have these at the melt at the spectrum. I know I know. Crap food but my kids like it. I use the kiosks 100% of the time. Who wants to talk to a teenager?

Costco makes total sense. To be honest, so would inn and out (by and large). In both cases, you have very few items / combinations and that makes it easy for a computer to work.  For a Taco Bell...It will take me way more to get to my options on a computer vs. just ordering. 

Man it was probably 20-25 years ago when Taco Bell 1st put those screens up (the Tustin Marine base was probably still open). I remember thinking how cool it was to order from a screen (back than).  I was probably 12 years old or so at the time. 

momopi said:

There was one at the Huntington Beach Taco Bell on PCH that didn't last long either.  It probably boosted sales for awhile because people wanted to try it, but eventually the novelty wore off and it must have created more problems than it solved, because they took it out pretty quickly.

The one at Taco Bell on Barranca is still there.

They recently changed the UI from landscape to portrait.

I don't really like it, takes a while to find stuff but I guess that cuts down on personnel although they still needs someone to take cash or to help out whenever someone has questions. The other problem is to get a receipt, you have to get it from the front so you have to trust you ordered what you ordered.

I actually like the table kiosks at Red Robin and Chili's because you don't really order from there but use them to pay so you don't have to wait for the server to leave.

Haven't tried the Costco kiosks... but now I want to.

Forget kiosk ordering. If you've ever used mobile ordering via the Starbucks app, life will never be the same. Easy to use menu and favorites function, multiple locations to choose from, relevant prep time information, and a decent map (including adding favorite locations). Jumping ahead of the line to get a grande latte is priceless. I don't know why more places don't copy Starbucks. The only improvement would be to use geofencing to coordinate order processing.

Mobile ordering through apps for Taco Bell and McDonald?s is the way to go. Fast and easy.

iacrenter said:
Forget kiosk ordering. If you've ever used mobile ordering via the Starbucks app, life will never be the same. Easy to use menu and favorites function, multiple locations to choose from, relevant prep time information, and a decent map (including adding favorite locations). Jumping ahead of the line to get a grande latte is priceless. I don't know why more places don't copy Starbucks. The only improvement would be to use geofencing to coordinate order processing.

Sales decline.  The typical fast food/fast casual restaurant is really about impulse upsales.  Size it up, add a drink, add a cookie...

nosuchreality said:
iacrenter said:

Sales decline.  The typical fast food/fast casual restaurant is really about impulse upsales.  Size it up, add a drink, add a cookie...

Yup...impulse buys are a big winner but apps can be programmed to upsale.

momopi said:

I have used one at Taco Bell in past. What I remember is too many clicks and too many screens before I swiped my card.

I love the idea of self ordering kiosks. It has to minimal navigation and at least as fast as verbal order to a person. They should just embed alexa at kiosk and you can just say "Alexa, I would like a chicken burrito minus tomatoes extra guac".

That would be $3.74, please swipe your card.

Cornflakes said:
momopi said:

I have used one at Taco Bell in past. What I remember is too many clicks and too many screens before I swiped my card.

I love the idea of self ordering kiosks. It has to minimal navigation and at least as fast as verbal order to a person. They should just embed alexa at kiosk and you can just say "Alexa, I would like a chicken burrito minus tomatoes extra guac".

That would be $3.74, please swipe your card.

Would probably be really bad when the restaurant is busy and/or loud.

Back