It's 1st 1/2 Tax Day.... December 11th

sgip

I don't care for mailing in my 1st 1/2 tax payment. 3.5% on-line payment fee takes away most "airline mile" credit card benefits. Every due date I trek up to HoboTopia Santa Ana and hand my check to the Assessor directly as I prefer to look a thief in the eye as I'm being taken advantage of. It's a weird but unique experience IMHO to watch your County Government at work taking check after check after check from everyone in line.

Anyone else making the trip today?

My .02c

SGIP

Up here in Santa Clara County we can do it fee-free via ACH transfer. I contemplated taking it in person but just don't have the time to spare.

OCtoSV said:
Up here in Santa Clara County we can do it fee-free via ACH transfer. I contemplated taking it in person but just don't have the time to spare.

We can in OC too. That's how I paid yesterday.

Soylent Green Is People said:
I don't care for mailing in my 1st 1/2 tax payment. 3.5% on-line payment fee takes away most "airline mile" credit card benefits. Every due date I trek up to HoboTopia Santa Ana and hand my check to the Assessor directly as I prefer to look a thief in the eye as I'm being taken advantage of. It's a weird but unique experience IMHO to watch your County Government at work taking check after check after check from everyone in line.

My .02c

SGIP

You mean you don't trust your mortgage company to pay your taxes for you?  :D

Here... let me fix it for you:

"You mean you don't trust your mortgage company (who gives me a -0- percent return on my impound account)  to pay your taxes (on time) for you?"

No. No I do not....

My .02c

SGIP

My .02c

SGIP

No way, have it withdrawl from my checking account today. It counts and credits you the same as driving that horrible drive. Minus the drive by shooting and runs in with the homeless. Sorry, I live in the bubble too long.

Actually, fee is 2.3%.  Debit is $3.95 total.  There can be a slight gain by paying with the right CC.

woodburyowner said:

Actually, fee is 2.3%.  Debit is $3.95 total.  There can be a slight gain by paying with the right CC.

I guess it depends on the card...my best credit card only gives me a 2% cash back rebate (Citibank card).

Also, if you're trying to hit a particularly large minimum spend it could come in handy to have a nice $5-10k charge to put on a card.

USCTrojanCPA said:
woodburyowner said:

I guess it depends on the card...my best credit card only gives me a 2% cash back rebate (Citibank card).

Marukai offers 3% cash back.

USCTrojanCPA said:
woodburyowner said:

Try Bank of America. 2.625% for Plat Honors. SGIP might be able to refer you to someone :)

WTTCHMN said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
woodburyowner said:

for everything, no limit?

OCtoSV said:
WTTCHMN said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
woodburyowner said:

for everything, no limit?
https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers/marukai-premium-jcb-card/

Yeah, there are ways to mitigate the fees, but it's so antiseptic to pay on-line.

By not paying in person, you'll avoid the pervasive odor of urine from the encampments surrounding the area, the adrenaline rush of not knowing what, if anything will be done to your car while you wind your way towards the Assessors Office. You miss the zombified shuffling in line as people grouse about their taxes, listening to endless debate over 50 cent discrepancies between taxpayers and a staff unempowered to provide solutions.

Witness the miracle of government efficiencies by experiencing this in person. Pay on-line and you'll miss out on the joy of this special tax paying season to remember. SAD!

My .02c

Back