IUSD Report Cards - How do we read these?

paydawg

Kindergarten report cards just came out this week and I'm not sure how to interpret them.  They give a O (Outstanding), M (Meets year-end standards) and P (Progressing towards year-end standards) for each of the common core standards.

This is a pretty fluffy grading system.  Does anyone know when kids start getting measured on a A to F scale like we're accustomed to?  I have no idea what a 'P' really means. 

Thanks!

paydawg said:
Kindergarten report cards just came out this week and I'm not sure how to interpret them.  They give a O (Outstanding), M (Meets year-end standards) and P (Progressing towards year-end standards) for each of the common core standards.

This is a pretty fluffy grading system.  Does anyone know when kids start getting measured on a A to F scale like we're accustomed to?  I have no idea what a 'P' really means. 

Thanks!

O = your kid is Harvard material

M = UCI

P = IVC

WTTCHMN said:
paydawg said:

Thanks!

M = UCI

P = IVC

So my kid was Harvard material at the end of TK and now is somewhere between UCI and IVC after the 1st trimester of K.  Wonderful grading system we have here.  :-\

paydawg said:
WTTCHMN said:
paydawg said:

Thanks!

M = UCI

P = IVC

So my kid was Harvard material at the end of TK and now is somewhere between UCI and IVC after the 1st trimester of K.  Wonderful grading system we have here.  :-\

Yeah it's whack. Os and Ss. Pretty subjective too.

Might not be popular, but as parents keep reading with your children and you?ll see their progress. Then...let them venture outside to, dare I say it, play.

Bullsback said:
Seriously...people are complaining about kindergarten grades not being A-F.  Give me a break.

You're missing the point of my question.  As an involved parent, I would like the school to provide a better barometer of where my kids are.  That I can focus on their weaknesses.  I didn't move to Irvine to not be involved in my kid's progress and I think this fluffy grading system is way to vague. 

paydawg said:
Bullsback said:
Seriously...people are complaining about kindergarten grades not being A-F.  Give me a break.

You're missing the point of my question.  As an involved parent, I would like the school to provide a better barometer of where my kids are.  That I can focus on their weaknesses.  I didn't move to Irvine to not be involved in my kid's progress and I think this fluffy grading system is way to vague.

The thing about Kindergarten is that a lot of the stuff will come to kids at a different time in the school year. For example, when it comes to reading there's a huge different between a younger K student, vs an older one. Eventually, it will all even out. These grades are mostly an indication where they are when it comes to meeting certain milestones. You should have gotten there assessment worksheets as well, where you can see in detail where they are having trouble.

paydawg said:
Bullsback said:

For K kids, O M P seems more positive than A-F.

At that age, does the work even involve that type of percentage/letter scoring?

Better than a report card, talk to their teacher for that barometer. That's what we did 3 times a year while they were in K-3. 4-6 you usually have one meeting and unless they are underperforming, that's okay.

Letter grades don't tell you much other than test scores.

The report cards are in line with Common Core and meeting standards in various areas.  It is more important for your kids to understand and master skill sets than reaching a particular grade.

paydawg said:
Bullsback said:

Then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what is going on.  The new system gives you a much better and detailed barometer of how your kid is doing.  For example, your kid could struggle with certain areas that is being hidden by a letter grade. 

If you have questions, talk to the teacher and ask him/her on how your child is doing and what the report cards mean.  I believe conferences are upcoming.

Irvinecommuter said:
paydawg said:
Bullsback said:

Then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what is going on.  The new system gives you a much better and detailed barometer of how your kid is doing.  For example, your kid could struggle with certain areas that is being hidden by a letter grade. 

If you have questions, talk to the teacher and ask him/her on how your child is doing and what the report cards mean.  I believe conferences are upcoming.

We already talked to the teacher during our kid's conference last month.  Our child is in the top reading and math groups in her class. 

I'll give an example, my kid already successfully adds from 1-20 (and this was successfully confirmed during testing), yet the teacher is "not allowed' to give her an O or a M because she isn't planning on testing the rest of the students until the last trimester.  Therefore, the report shows she's 'progressing' towards learning this particular skill.  Laughable. 

paydawg said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paydawg said:
Bullsback said:

We already talked to the teacher during our kid's conference last month.  Our child is in the top reading and math groups in her class. 

I'll give an example, my kid already successfully adds from 1-20 (and this was successfully confirmed during testing), yet the teacher is "not allowed' to give her an O or a M because she isn't planning on testing the rest of the students until the last trimester.  Therefore, the report shows she's 'progressing' towards learning this particular skill.  Laughable. 

I don't understand the concern.

You know where your kid is at. Does it matter what her report card says right now? That has no relevance later on.

paydawg said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paydawg said:
Bullsback said:

I am not quite sure how that would be any different under a letter grade system.  Kids at the top of the class will always be ahead and neither a letter grade nor a CC based system will change that.  On the contrary, the CC system allows a lot more breakdown on the various skill sets and identify areas of strength and weakness for students.

jmoney74 said:
paydawg said:
WTTCHMN said:
paydawg said:

Thanks!

M = UCI

P = IVC

Yeah it's whack. Os and Ss. Pretty subjective too.

Subjective is good especially for elementary school kids.

irvinehomeowner said:
paydawg said:
Bullsback said:

Better than a report card, talk to their teacher for that barometer. That's what we did 3 times a year while they were in K-3. 4-6 you usually have one meeting and unless they are underperforming, that's okay.

I don't want to make this a bigger deal that it is (LOL probably too late for that).  All I really want to know is when does the grading system shift to the traditional A-F?  4th grade?  later?

I'm pretty sure letter grades start at 1st but with Common Core, that may have changed.

But even with letter grades, it doesn't seem like that would satisfy you.

I predict a future topic from you that asks "How do we read an 'A', is that an outstanding A, meeting A standards or progressing towards 'A' standards?".  :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm pretty sure letter grades start at 1st but with Common Core, that may have changed.

But even with letter grades, it doesn't seem like that would satisfy you.

I predict a future topic from you that asks "How do we read an 'A', is that an outstanding A, meeting A standards or progressing towards 'A' standards?".  :)

Daughter is in 3rd grade and no letter grade. 

I would hope that it is not until middle school/junior high.

paydawg said:
irvinehomeowner said:
paydawg said:
Bullsback said:

I don't want to make this a bigger deal that it is (LOL probably too late for that).  All I really want to know is when does the grading system shift to the traditional A-F?  4th grade?  later?

Wasn't trying to single out you individually but you brought up the topic.  My point is that there are a lot of changes with the education system and most of them are good.  I am a super strong supporter of CC and what it is trying to do. 

Back