Irvine Unified aims to revolutionize teaching with one-to-one Chromebook program

I have mixed feelings about this.  I can see the educational benefits, but my kids are already basically addicted to tablets at home.  I have to monitor their screen time pretty closely to make sure they live a balanced life.  Now with Chromebooks at school, they could be spending a significant chunk of their day looking at screens.

Liar Loan said:
I have mixed feelings about this.  I can see the educational benefits, but my kids are already basically addicted to tablets at home.  I have to monitor their screen time pretty closely to make sure they live a balanced life.  Now with Chromebooks at school, they could be spending a significant chunk of their day looking at screens.

The teacher in the article is using them to babysit while she teaches the dumb kids.

WTTCHMN said:
Liar Loan said:

The teacher in the article is using them to babysit while she teaches the dumb kids.

All teachers do this to a certain extent.  It's just that historically they would hand out worksheets or assign silent reading time.

Another concern I have is that kids with headphones staring at a Chromebook are not really developing socially in the classroom.  They could just visit the same websites from home and passively watch videos on their own time.  What is the point of paying a teacher to oversee this unless their is some kind of feedback?

I have a mixed feeling about this program too. Also, my understanding that parents are required to purchase a Chrome book for 2nd graders. 1st graders are only using in class.

Not sure why working with a Chromebook is any different than reading a book, doing a worksheet or watching an in-class video? Is it not as good because it's a screen?

I understand at home, too much screen time is an issue because kids should be doing physical things, playing instruments or just plain social interaction, but school is for learning and technology helps with that.

There's a major issue to be addressed.

Is the technology a supplement to the teacher or is the teacher a facilitator to the technology.

If we do the  former, then the technology is just a newer mode of classroom video and worksheets.  If we do the later, then the teacher role and required skills is enhanced and massively changed into one that primarily is focused on social interaction and working the child's interpersonal and group skills.  The AI will be able to identify knowledge weaknesses, pair across the entire school, if not district for appropriate peer grouping and determine if your child has mastery of the material.  AI potentially could be used to identify if the skill weakness is knowledge base, pressure based, endurance based or disinterest/boredom based. 

Or we use it as another expensive tool to continue the century old plan of cranking out drones.

Chromebooks could be great classroom resources, but they must be used effectively. I agree with the screen overuse fears and worksheet comments. The Chromebook is an excellent supplement to learning especially for skill reinforcement and practice. Google?s collaboration tools are great for group assignments and peer/teacher edits, but must be limited. There are a lot of good simulations for students to use, again only to reinforce skills.

If they are used to babysit students, then this will become a huge problem. Teachers are not trained well in the use of Chromebooks with students, so professional development is seriously lacking. Many of the teachers aren?t computer savvy, which creates a problem too.

Finally, typing cannot he used as a writing replacement as it affects memory/learning. Think about note taking versus typed notes. When a student writes, they remember. Typing doesn?t lead to memorization as the mind just remembers keystrokes.

Also, the district needs to be looking for price discounts as they are not paying the lowest available prices the average consumer can find locally. It?s sort of like Medicare pricing for prescriptions.

Back