Parents march to protest a result of Irvine?s growing pains: Overcrowded schools

WTTCHMN

Parents march to protest a result of Irvine?s growing pains: Overcrowded schools

Cypress Village resident Inderjit Bains presented a brochure promoting Irvine Co.?s Cypress Village, where houses sell for around $1 million, to district officials during the meeting.

?From sparkling pools and lush play areas at Floral Park, to two brand new Irvine Unified schools your children can walk to ? this new village has it all!? the brochure reads.

Tony Ferruzzo, a consultant to Irvine Unified, told parents that Realtors use school information to sell homes but don?t always disclose that the boundaries could change.

Parents in the Stonegate community are opposing all four proposed options because their children would be moved to Sierra Vista Middle School, instead of Jeffrey Trail.

?They treat us like commodities and move us around,? said Weiguang Shao, who moved to Stonegate in 2012.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/1...of-irvines-growing-pains-overcrowded-schools/

School district zones are never guaranteed, even if it's printed in an Irvine Company brochure, LOL.

I can see why they are so upset, especially if they have been paying mello roos for the nice schools. I can see the city backing down on this though, those residents have money.

This in regards to the Jr high?  They really should just build a jr high for the PS and stonegate kids.

Could be worse........ they could be waiting for OH to have a grade school or been part of the Tustin folks who waited years for a school to open that was already built.

It is relatively easy to foresee if a particular school will have boundary redrawn in near future. Take JTM as an example in 2016. A lot of CV land was available, frames were going up, and we all knew that those houses will be within walking distance to JTM. Of course, when those kids move into CV, Stonegate resident kids are at the risk of being pushed out.

Northwood high and Eastwood is another example. When EW is fully built up, only options on the table are to expand high school (not likely), let Stonegate and EW kids criss-cross to NH and PH (not likely), or displace Stonegate kids to make room for EW kids (Likely).

We can all get mad and protest, but the sound strategy would be to move into stone throw distance of the school one is targeting. I know it is lot easier said and much harder done, but it is a sure shot way of achieving your dreams.

What about a protest against how much traffic there is going north on Jeffrey or Sand Canyon in the afternoon?

#OvercrowdedStreetsMatter

jmoney74 said:
This in regards to the Jr high?  They really should just build a jr high for the PS and stonegate kids.

It is not that easy.  Building a new school has a ton of issues and takes time.  Meanwhile, Sierra Vista is in a mature area where fewer and fewer children are.  It make sense to move kids there. 

I think people are too sensitive about this...it's freaking middle school.

Irvinecommuter said:
It is not that easy.  Building a new school has a ton of issues and takes time.  Meanwhile, Sierra Vista is in a mature area where fewer and fewer children are.  It make sense to move kids there. 

New neighborhoods take time to build out too, but some how they are being built at record pace.  The way this situation is unfolding just looks like poor planning and communication.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that overcrowding was going to happen and rezoning was the only option.  If this was just communicated early on, I think a lot of parents would be less upset.

Also, keep in mind that a few miles in Irvine traffic will add 20-30 minutes each way to a parents commute if the school changes.  1 hour lost a day is no joke.

woodburyowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

New neighborhoods take time to build out too, but some how they are being built at record pace.  The way this situation is unfolding just looks like poor planning and communication.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that overcrowding was going to happen and rezoning was the only option.  If this was just communicated early on, I think a lot of parents would be less upset.

Also, keep in mind that a few miles in Irvine traffic will add 20-30 minutes each way to a parents commute if the school changes.  1 hour lost a day is no joke.

Understandable but the school district can only do so much.  Look at what is happening with OH...not enough students going there so it's only a half capacity.  Saddleback Valley USD hired a bunch of teachers during the boom only to lay them off when the economy went bad. 

I do think the maps can be drawn better but going to Jeffrey Trails is not better than going to Sierra Vista coming from Stonegate IMO...Jeffrey and Sand Canyon are pretty packed in the morning.

I am actually looking forward to a day when a 2-mile commute in the city takes 45 minutes in rush hour and my shoebox size house values at $2.5M, just like Palo Alto.

Cornflakes said:
I am actually looking forward to a day when a 2-mile commute in the city takes 45 minutes in rush hour and my shoebox size house values at $2.5M, just like Palo Alto.

Almost there, Woodbury to GP takes 15 minutes and homes are over $1m.

I see quite a few office workers taking the iShuttle in IBC. I think there is room for a hybrid of iShuttle/OCTA Bus/Lyft Line system that runs alongside major roads.
Of course, given the comparatively low density in Irvine, people would have to be willing to walk the extra half-mile to get to a stop from work and half-mile to get home.

irvinehomeowner said:
Cornflakes said:

Almost there, Woodbury to GP takes 15 minutes and homes are over $1m.

I can believe that. I once timed myself biking from Beacon park to WTC - 12 minutes.

People freak out over nothing.  Sierra Vista is a fine school and Northwood is "better" than Portola.

But all those schools will be good.

Back