Replaced the screws for my front door.

Park

Just moved into our new place and one of the first things I like to do is replace all the screws for doors with locks for crime prevention.  Check out the side by side image of what is usually installed vs. what I installed. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDMDRP84o7I

You can order them from Home Depot with the following link.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fringe-...cure-Entry-Doors-18-Pack-FS10L18ORB/206201907
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fringe-...en-Interior-Doors-18-Pack-FS9L18ORB/206718157

Attachments

• screws.jpg
    screws.jpg
    760.6 KB · Views: 170
I changed the dead bolt to a keypad.  Makes it easier and I don't have to carry a house key. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006G1AGTM?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-def00-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-4-wl-ddt0_sce0_prc0_aapi0&ref=bit_scomp_sav0

Park said:
I changed the dead bolt to a keypad.  Makes it easier and I don't have to carry a house key. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006G1AGTM?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-def00-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-4-wl-ddt0_sce0_prc0_aapi0&ref=bit_scomp_sav0

You go through all this trouble and you end up putting a Z-Wave lock on your front door?!?! If this is older gen Z-Wave you may as well leave the door unlocked ...

peppy said:
Park said:

You go through all this trouble and you end up putting a Z-Wave lock on your front door?!?! If this is older gen Z-Wave you may as well leave the door unlocked ...

Alright genius let?s here how it actually works? How would someone hack the keypad?

I reckon most of these break-ins happen through windows and backdoors. Haven't heard of the zwave crook just yet.

daedalus said:
The only people who break into houses by breaking the door down are law enforcement.

That's why it's fun to see a police officer explain how to better prepare for that.  ;D

qwerty said:
peppy said:
Park said:

Alright genius let?s here how it actually works? How would someone hack the keypad?

The keypad is a networked device via Z-Wave. Traffic is encrypted but not very well. The key to your network can be extracted from sniffed traffic. If you want a keypad, just get one that does not also have wireless access to it.

I'm pretty sure that any sophisticated burglar that is able to hack the z-wave protocol to gain entry is probably able to hack the rolling garage code that we all use to open and close the garage.   

@Park:

Do you live in Irvine?

What are you worried about? No crime happens in Irvine. You can leave your door unlocked.

Coyotes, however, should be your concern.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Park:

Do you live in Irvine?

What are you worried about? No crime happens in Irvine. You can leave your door unlocked.

Coyotes, however, should be your concern.

My guess is package theft is more common than breaking down the door.

Park said:
I'm pretty sure that any sophisticated burglar that is able to hack the z-wave protocol to gain entry is probably able to hack the rolling garage code that we all use to open and close the garage. 

Here's the thing though, you can do a jam and replay but it requires you to be in proximity while the door is being activated. This is similar to what has been going on with RF entry to high end cars.

With Z-Wave (ZigBee and Wifi for that matter) the thing is that a crook can drive around with a transceiver, sniff traffic, decode the key and record the GPS coordinates. This is similar to wardriving with the earlier WiFi standards. After a day of driving around he ends up with a map of compromised locks and either their decoded key or an ability to reset the code at will - depending on the lock. That's way more efficient than parking in front of just one house, waiting for the garage door to get activated.

peppy said:
Park said:

Here's the thing though, you can do a jam and replay but it requires you to be in proximity while the door is being activated. This is similar to what has been going on with RF entry to high end cars.

With Z-Wave (ZigBee and Wifi for that matter) the thing is that a crook can drive around with a transceiver, sniff traffic, decode the key and record the GPS coordinates. This is similar to wardriving with the earlier WiFi standards. After a day of driving around he ends up with a map of compromised locks and either their decoded key or an ability to reset the code at will - depending on the lock. That's way more efficient than parking in front of just one house, waiting for the garage door to get activated.

Is there a way to solve the garage door vulnerability?

HMart said:
peppy said:
Park said:

Is there a way to solve the garage door vulnerability?

Just live somewhere where your neighbors keep theirs open. Crooks won't bother with yours.

Or get a big mean dog.

Been in Irvine since 2007. 
I've had a neighbor who's side door leading into the garage was kicked in by a burglar while they were on vacation. 
I've also caught a person trying to pry open my back door at 430am and was able to scare him off when I confronted him through the door.  He doesn't know it but he's lucky to be alive.  Had I been a little slower by 20 seconds or so, it would have turned out very differently. 

Park said:
Been in Irvine since 2007. 
I've had a neighbor who's side door leading into the garage was kicked in by a burglar while they were on vacation. 
I've also caught a person trying to pry open my back door at 430am and was able to scare him off when I confronted him through the door.  He doesn't know it but he's lucky to be alive.  Had I been a little slower by 20 seconds or so, it would have turned out very differently. 

Where in Irvine do you live? OH3?

:)

irvinehomeowner said:
Do you live in Irvine?

Now that the underreporting of crime stats has caught up with the LAPD, do you think other large so called "safest cities" like Irvine will now be exposed?

Back