Four O.C. sheriff?s deputies at Vegas shooting file workers? compensation claims

At first when I saw the title I was like "gosh really guys"... But after reading the article I fully believe they should be compensated for the roles they played, get their vacation time back and be reimbursed for their medical bills.  They voluntarily risked their lives to save and help others because of their professional position.  I think if any of us were in an active shooter situation and an off duty cop or medic came to our aid, we'd be more than grateful.

That is bullshit. One, you are only a peace officer in CA. So now let?s disregard the rules for cops?

What about all the other people who acted in the same capacity as those deputies? Who is going to pay their vacation to recover from injuries? Who is going to help with their medical bills?

It?s great that they decided to help but don?t play favorites with these guys just because they are cops

Every employer has to decide that on their own.  Since this is a national tragedy, I wouldn't be surprised if other employers grant paid medical leave for recovering victims.  If the police union decides to cover this incident for their officers, I don't think they are playing favorites.  The gofundme should also help others pay for their medical bills if they don't have insurance, etc.

?The county has to be very cautious in these cases,? Dominguez added. ?If they deny the claims, then the message that they?re sending to their peace officers is not to take action when it is certainly warranted.?

I believe it is morally reprehensible to make the argument that peace officers, outside of their work area, will only be compelled to help in a national tragedy if they will be paid for it

They'll get paid.
http://www.ocregister.com/2012/08/19/public-safety-disability-system-ripe-for-abuse/

Basically in California, the County or City has to prove the disability claim is not the result of their job.

Good luck getting any jury or arbitration panel with a Union appointee to decide that.

JIMHO, they did the right thing by helping, just like dozens or hundreds of non-Police.  And just like those many others, they have injuries or PTSD because they attended an event that had a domestic terrorist attack. 

But as I said, good luck proving that.

Although one maybe could argue that the claim should be against Las Vegas since they essentially deputized them in the field...  but good luck with that too.

Back