Northern OC real estate? Buying a home close to a fire area

as90

Hi everyone,

We were planning on buying a home in the $600-700k range in Anaheim hills or Yorba Linda area. However, with the recent fires, I'm not sure if it is a wise investment in terms of holding its value and appreciating later on. Do wildfires tremendously affect home values?

We were thinking that we might be able to get a good deal with the fires but I do worry about long term effects. I remember the 2008 fire in Yorba Linda did not have a tremendous impact on prices.

Curious to see what you guys think.

Thanks

paperboyNC said:
Will not help you get a good deal. To be safe, don't be first line of defense next to the wilderness.

I was hoping it would help drive prices down a little bit. But I think regardless of fires, people are still willing to risk things getting house in a burn prone area.

as90 said:
paperboyNC said:
Will not help you get a good deal. To be safe, don't be first line of defense next to the wilderness.

I was hoping it would help drive prices down a little bit. But I think regardless of fires, people are still willing to risk things getting house in a burn prone area.

I don?t think prices dropped because of the fire. (There is a demand in that area, the school ranking are good.)

You want a good deal, look at Houston. If you really want a good deal check out Puerto Rico.

Any area in OC is either in a fire or a flood zone. Some of the homes in Anaheim Hills burned because their vents did not have adequate spark arresters. In some cases sparks went under the concrete roof tiles and lit the debris underneath. There's no escaping a fire risk. There is planning for it. Overinsure, work on trimming back the surrounding brush. Have plan A and Plan B, so that if the worst case scenario happens, you'll be ready to survive and thrive.

I'd not want to suffer the loss of personal keepsakes, but one of the reasons why Laguna Beach is so very expensive now is that 366 plus homes built in the 1920-1970's were destroyed in the great fire of 1993. Almost everyone rebuilt their 1500 SF ranch style homes into 3,000 McMansions with the insurance payouts they got. Appreciation and / or stable property values depend on circumstance and are never guaranteed. In some cases when the worst of all situations occurs, there can be some good news at the end of the ordeal.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

Soylent Green Is People said:
Any area in OC is either in a fire or a flood zone. Some of the homes in Anaheim Hills burned because their vents did not have adequate spark arresters. In some cases sparks went under the concrete roof tiles and lit the debris underneath. There's no escaping a fire risk. There is planning for it. Overinsure, work on trimming back the surrounding brush. Have plan A and Plan B, so that if the worst case scenario happens, you'll be ready to survive and thrive.

I'd not want to suffer the loss of personal keepsakes, but one of the reasons why Laguna Beach is so very expensive now is that 366 plus homes built in the 1920-1970's were destroyed in the great fire of 1993. Almost everyone rebuilt their 1500 SF ranch style homes into 3,000 McMansions with the insurance payouts they got. Appreciation and / or stable property values depend on circumstance and are never guaranteed. In some cases when the worst of all situations occurs, there can be some good news at the end of the ordeal.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

Good post

Back