Earthquake / Landslide / Flood Dislosures and Orchard Hills

Jaime

Given the recent earthquake in west LA, I thought it appropriate to ask -- anyone who bought in Orchard Hills receive a disclosure saying that their home is higher risk for any natural disaster?  I have been reading that being on a hill or at the base of a hill may put one's home at higher risk for harm.  One article went so far to say that it is wise to hire a geologist to evaluate your home prior to purchasing (such evaluations can cost between $500 - $1000).  Seems like a totally reasonable investment to give you peace of mind. 

From a quick google search:http://www.ocregister.com/2010/12/13/buying-a-hillside-home-be-careful/http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jun/12/business/fi-perfin12

Edit:
Found this online as well--https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=20702
Seems like the area Orchard Hills is in now (the document is from 2012) would suggest that the flood risk is low, but fire risk is higher.  Interestingly, there are parts of Tustin (including Tustin Ranch) that have historically been affected by flooding.

Agreed, the incidence of these events is really low.  I just want to be as informed as I can possibly be before making a $1.5 - $2 million purchase, especially if earthquake insurance will not cover all losses, and landslide insurance is hard to find.  I don't have to buy in Orchard Hills and I'm evaluating several areas in Orange County.  My field is all about evaluating risk -- why not apply those same principles to home-buying, especially when the stakes are so high?  :)

If this was my purchase, I'd review the soil report and find out if the lot you want is on "cut" (removal of dirt) or "fill" (a small canyon area filled with dirt from cut). Having experienced first hand the Laguna Beach Bluebird Canyon slide, and seeing the 2nd LBBC slide close up after the fact, I know OC hillsides have a long history of slippage and would plan accordingly.

To use a Reagan era phrase "Trust, but verify" the things the builder may be saying about the property. A small investment of time will payoff in the long run.

My .02c

Jaime said:
Agreed, the incidence of these events is really low.  I just want to be as informed as I can possibly be before making a $1.5 - $2 million purchase, especially if earthquake insurance will not cover all losses, and landslide insurance is hard to find.  I don't have to buy in Orchard Hills and I'm evaluating several areas in Orange County.  My field is all about evaluating risk -- why not apply those same principles to home-buying, especially when the stakes are so high?  :)

Don't forget to evaluate the risk of having Burn That Belly and all of his alter egos as your possible neighbor. There's no insurance against that!!!

does anyone know if OH3 will require extra more expensive fire insurance due to it being located next to the mountains?

Jaime said:
Given the recent earthquake in west LA, I thought it appropriate to ask -- anyone who bought in Orchard Hills receive a disclosure saying that their home is higher risk for any natural disaster?  I have been reading that being on a hill or at the base of a hill may put one's home at higher risk for harm.  One article went so far to say that it is wise to hire a geologist to evaluate your home prior to purchasing (such evaluations can cost between $500 - $1000).  Seems like a totally reasonable investment to give you peace of mind. 

From a quick google search:http://www.ocregister.com/2010/12/13/buying-a-hillside-home-be-careful/http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jun/12/business/fi-perfin12

Edit:
Found this online as well--https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=20702
Seems like the area Orchard Hills is in now (the document is from 2012) would suggest that the flood risk is low, but fire risk is higher.  Interestingly, there are parts of Tustin (including Tustin Ranch) that have historically been affected by flooding.

Look for "fill dirt" and "cut dirt" in your disclosures. That means they either filled the lot or cut into the slope to flatten it out.

We get earthquakes all the time. Thank the Lord you don't live in So Cal where we have been retrofitting and building to earthquake code. Places like Portland are going to have a huge problem.

If you're worried about quakes, keep your gas tank filled up. Gas stations will lose power and then no one gets gas.

Thank you for the responses.

Villager: It's good to know that the only disclosure given for your home is for the potential for a landslide in the mountains in the backdrop.  No home in Orchard Hills seems itself to be on a terribly steep slope, and the use of debris basins is reassuring. 

AA, Eyephone: It'll be interesting to see if the disclosures (including fire risk) for OH3 differs from other locations in Orchard Hills

I suppose the one advantage of buying a re-sale, including ones on hills, is requesting public records of the home's past problems, and having that knowledge prior to purchasing. 

Those view lots by the new OH entrance off Wolf Trail are all on "filled" dirt.  Not only do you have to pay a lot premium but if the dirt is not properly compacted, you'd have issues down the road even with large amounts of rainfall like earlier this year.  There was a street of almost completed homes in Baker Ranch that suffered decent sized cracks this year when the rains fell.  Wonder if they disclosed to the buyers what really happened.

Inquiring minds want to know which street in Baker Ranch suffered cracks due to heavy rains and what caused it? Which builder, Toll or Shea? I live in Baker Ranch and me and a few neighbors had minor-med hairline stucco cracks above our garage doors..... :mad:

Racquet said:
Inquiring minds want to know which street in Baker Ranch suffered cracks due to heavy rains and what caused it? Which builder, Toll or Shea? I live in Baker Ranch and me and a few neighbors had minor-med hairline stucco cracks above our garage doors..... :mad:

Get used to it. Stucco cracks. The builder even tells you it won?t do anything with stucco cracks unless it?s thicker than 1/8 of an inch.

qwerty said:
Racquet said:

Get used to it. Stucco cracks. The builder even tells you it won?t do anything with stucco cracks unless it?s thicker than 1/8 of an inch.

In other words. Life is tough. Deal with it.  ;) (jk)

Back