Amazon to build second Headquarters

rickr

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2017/09/07/amazon-to-u-s-cities-want-to-host-our-second-hq.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Broadcom out, Amazon in

Cmon Great Park, you can do it.

In our dreams!!!

Interesting.  Amazon's RFP indicated criteria including that the hosting City must be "45mins or less from an international airport" and also have a "population of at least 1M residents."  - that's a big nope and nope for Irvine.  But I'm sure IrvineCo money can get them reconsidering those stipulations.

KiloRomeo said:
Interesting.  Amazon's RFP indicated criteria including that the hosting City must be "45mins or less from an international airport" and also have a "population of at least 1M residents."  - that's a big nope and nope for Irvine.  But I'm sure IrvineCo money can get them reconsidering those stipulations.
I think the whole traffic congestion and housing price would be the deal breaker in SoCal.
One could argue that lax and Ontario is 45 mins.  SNA is a close local airport for non international, but can be a connecting airport.
The population thing is not just looking at the city, but the metropolitan area, I don't think that's an issue. People would drive from LA county and I.E to work in Irvine which already happens

I think one important consideration is whether the talent that Amazon is looking to hire would locate to this city.  In this regard, Irvine has an advantage.

Amazon is a great company, no doubt.  I'm sure wherever they go, the local economy will be given a huge boost.  While the idea of them opening a second HQ in Irvine sounded appealing to me at first, I'm having second thoughts.  Perhaps because I'm not in the IT industry.

But look at how things have unfolded in Silicon Valley.  People pay $1M there for studios.  If we all of a sudden get an influx of high earners, that's gonna push up prices all across the board for everyone.  My morning cup of coffee might be $12.  A combo from Mickey D's might cost $15.

It's great for existing homeowners, as the value of their homes skyrockets.  But unless your income also has a similar trajectory, now you're stuck.  You effectively are incentivized to not move up in home, because going from a 2br to a 3br, or a 3br to a 4 br, might effectively increase your property tax base by 500k-1M.

I'd like to hear counterarguments.  Perhaps I'm being shortsighted.  I like Irvine the way it is now, and don't want it to grow too fast too soon.

undecided said:
Amazon is a great company, no doubt.  I'm sure wherever they go, the local economy will be given a huge boost.  While the idea of them opening a second HQ in Irvine sounded appealing to me at first, I'm having second thoughts.  Perhaps because I'm not in the IT industry.

But look at how things have unfolded in Silicon Valley.  People pay $1M there for studios.  If we all of a sudden get an influx of high earners, that's gonna push up prices all across the board for everyone.  My morning cup of coffee might be $12.  A combo from Mickey D's might cost $15.

It's great for existing homeowners, as the value of their homes skyrockets.  But unless your income also has a similar trajectory, now you're stuck.  You effectively are incentivized to not move up in home, because going from a 2br to a 3br, or a 3br to a 4 br, might effectively increase your property tax base by 500k-1M.

I'd like to hear counterarguments.  Perhaps I'm being shortsighted.  I like Irvine the way it is now, and don't want it to grow too fast too soon.

Kind of overboard no?  I go up to the bay area often and happy meals are the same.

KiloRomeo said:

I hope you're kidding.  If you don't take things so literally, then Irvine is part of the larger OC metro area, which has over 3M people.  While you can argue that LAX is around 45-60 minutes away, there are three other airports that are accessible as well for domestic routes, with JWA being minutes away.  OC is perfectly situated between two large metro areas (LA and SD). 

As far as talent goes - Southern California should be able to compete with any other metro area.

Just to add a data point: LA area produces more number of engineering graduates than the bay area.

undecided said:

No counter arguments.  This will fast track it to grow to a mega city. The gap between have and have nots will widen.  Tons of congestion, etc.

They say 50k jobs
X avg salary (higher paying jobs)
= a whole lot of money to spend and flowing in the area

The conditions Amazon is laying down seem tailor made for San Jose. They have likely seen the 20K person campus GOOG is building there and will be actively competing for that talent. They quietly leased a few floors of a downtown bldg recently near Adobe's HQ (also expanding).

If not San Jose then I see this going to Boston. IF they had built the airport instead of Great Park, then maybe.....that was the dumbest NIMBY-driven decision I've ever seen.

OCtoSV said:
IF they had built the airport instead of Great Park, then maybe.....that was the dumbest NIMBY-driven decision I've ever seen.

Are you insane? Irvine RE is better off with the GP versus another airport.

irvine buyer said:
I think one important consideration is whether the talent that Amazon is looking to hire would locate to this city.  In this regard, Irvine has an advantage.

Really?  What advantage would that be?

I have a feeling that Atlanta is going to win this one. :)

moving-to-living-in-atlanta-784.jpg

Source:http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/technology/amazon-cities/index.html

I'll have some of that Crack OCtoSV is puffing please....

If not San Jose then I see this going to Boston. IF they had built the airport instead of Great Park, then maybe.....that was the dumbest NIMBY-driven decision I've ever seen.

If everyone freaked out about a cemetery, imagine property values with Airbus A380's taking off from El Toro International Airport (ETIA) every 10 minutes. I can only imagine the sales pitches for some of the new homes that would have surrounded ETIA - "Come for the best schools in the country, providing you stay indoors during flight hours"

Not many people remember that before public opinion crushed ETIA, the Pro Airport pushers flew sound modified and critically unladen jets over South OC to show the noise "wasn't that bad". If you were there, as I was then, you'd join me in thanking God Almighty for strangling ETIA in the crib.

My .02c

iacrenter said:
OCtoSV said:
IF they had built the airport instead of Great Park, then maybe.....that was the dumbest NIMBY-driven decision I've ever seen.

Are you insane? Irvine RE is better off with the GP versus another airport.
I agree.  Because, NIMBY. 

Did they say it was going to be in the USA?  With this administration's cuckoo immigration policies wouldn't be surprised if they chose some place like Toronto.

Liar Loan said:
irvine buyer said:

Really?  What advantage would that be?
Silicon Valley would have the easy transferable talent pool.

Otherwise Irvine does have smaller tech presence here and there plus one of the criteria they're looking for is strong local universities, if this is for getting new recruits and/or want higher education think tanks, it's a more diverse pool than NorCal (Stanford, Berkeley), compare to here (Caltech, 4 UC's within 2 hour drives, USC, and a whole bunch of cal states, including Pomona which has a decent CS).

Back