Author Topic: Father and Two sons panhandling at Heritage Plaza  (Read 2322 times)

Online rickr

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 9
  • -Received: 40
Re: Father and Two sons panhandling at Heritage Plaza
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
Instead of taking pictures of this family at a time of need and posting it on a public forum for all to see, why don't you offer the guy a job or a few bucks. Everyone is down on their luck some time in life and needs some help. Not everyone is blessed to be born rich and live off mom and dads millions.

Who knows what the backstory is. He could be disabled or has gone through BK because of medical bills. No reason to make fun of him and his young family.

This seriously offends me. Something like this should not be here. Especially when young kids are involved.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 194
  • -Received: 462
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
Instead of taking pictures of this family at a time of need and posting it on a public forum for all to see, why don't you offer the guy a job or a few bucks. Everyone is down on their luck some time in life and needs some help. Not everyone is blessed to be born rich and live off mom and dads millions.

Who knows what the backstory is. He could be disabled or has gone through BK because of medical bills. No reason to make fun of him and his young family.

This seriously offends me. Something like this should not be here. Especially when young kids are involved.

I previously asked the OP, did he help him out. He replied, “Yeah, I threw a stack at him. That's why he had to block the impact with the sign.”

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 51
  • -Received: 297
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
So this is a good topic and post.  Offensive is good.  Brings people to discuss a problem instead of ignoring it.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not see people asking for money with their children when i'm about to gorge on Korean BBQ or buy Japanese groceries.
The more money you give them the more they will stick around.

Perhaps the best thing to do is ignore it?  They aren't aggressive are they?

Taking their picture and posting it on TI is fine with me because this place is about what's going on in Irvine.  No filter.

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 74
  • -Received: 288
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/26/sheriffs-deputies-have-made-180-arrests-in-santa-ana-riverbed-and-contacted-1000-homeless-people-in-an-effort-to-help-them/

So they started policing the river trail homeless camp.  Estimated population 400, arrests 180.  Minor things really, robbery, sexual assault, domestic violence, parole violations, etc.

Of 1093 'contacts' 910 refused assistance.

Compassion is good, but there's not a very fine line between compassion and enablement.

Offline Burn That Belly

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 16
  • -Received: 43
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »

whoa whoa whoa, hold up there. Let's back it up here yo.

1) Did you not read? I said I threw a stack at him. Not my problem whether or not anybody can confirm or deny that.

2) What is wrong with posting a public picture on a public forum? The man is in the open public for all eyes and is asking the open public for assistance. Did it ever occur to you that by putting this on the internet, perhaps, it will reach out to million more viewers and possibly FCB's who are in China, Shanghai, and may consider wiring him some money?  ;)

Have you ever seen the power of what GoFundMe can do?  One Irvine lady on NextDoor posted her inability to pay rent and she collected thousands on GoFundMe. (And yes, she made rent)

All it takes is one FCB from Shanghai or Guangzhou to write him a check and put him and his beautiful family in OH3.  ;)

And here's the link to that GoFundMe I was talking about. She got 4 grand. Not too shabby. Perhaps, this guy who sits at the NP plaza should set up a GoFundMe as well and tell his story.

https://www.gofundme.com/sfyamx-single-mom-and-children-need-help
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:45:54 PM by Burn That Belly »
The Lord is my shepherd and Jesus is my savior

God Bless America

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1861
  • -Received: 3305
  • 3CWG
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
A stack of pennies? :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline Liar Loan

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 147
  • -Received: 125
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
You also have to be aware that some of these panhandlers are simply gypsies and other types of scammers.  There are two girls that used to panhandle in the parking lot of the Vons near my house.  It was reported by neighbors that they were seen hopping into the back of a BMW driven by their father at the end of their "shift".

Last year I also had Christmas carolers doing something similar.  They came to our door and started singing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" and then asked for a couple of bucks to fund "presents for poor kids".  The father stayed in the vehicle while sending his kids out to do this.  We had two girls come to our door and my neighbors said there were also a group of two boys that belonged with them, hitting up other streets in the area.  Think if every house gives them money for every 1 minute interaction they are probably averaging at least $50 an hour.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:47:10 PM by Liar Loan »

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 51
  • -Received: 297
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
IHO! how dare you joke at a time like this when a grown man cannot support his family and is forced to beg!

Due to your callous nature I invoke Phil Collins

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1861
  • -Received: 3305
  • 3CWG
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
IHO! how dare you joke at a time like this when a grown man cannot support his family and is forced to beg!

I'll be here all week.

The special is McRib, 2 for $5, ps9 loves them.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline irvineboy

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 7
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 11:13:51 PM »
They are at the Culver Target.  Hate them with their fake sob story holding their baby who are obviously drugged and passed out.  People were giving them money too.  I’ll Cal social services to help them out.  See how fast they run.

Offline undecided

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 13
  • -Received: 5
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »

My initial reaction was similar, I was trying to look at it from a sympathetic point of view.  I know there are others like me who are just salarymen and not filthy rich, unable to buy luxurious homes with cash like FCBs, and all it would take is a streak of bad luck for me and I'd be out on the streets.  Regardless, I am thankful for where I am and what little I do have.

But as I started looking into the matter and doing a little more digging, I have changed my perspective.  I am not naturally cynical, but I've read many stories where gypsies and the like prey upon good natured souls, and fabricate these crazy sob stories and pull on people's heartstrings to make us give.  Many times, the adults and kids come from different families, but they are 'assigned' a shift to work a certain area together, because people are more willing to give when they see kids in these situations.

It's sad that the kids are exploited this way, and I for one would feel incredibly wronged and manipulated if I found out I gave towards a fake cause.  Imagine if someone posted a gofundme sob story, raised 100k, and then you found out they were just lazy bums and didn't want to work, so they came up with a sob story of how their dad died of cancer at 35 and the family has been on the streets for two years, when in fact they live in a perfectly fine 2/3 bedroom home.

I still try to give most people the benefit of the doubt, but this particular begging location has a bad reputation (i.e. the beggars here are usually lying).

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 235
  • -Received: 212
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
It's sad that the kids are exploited this way, and I for one would feel incredibly wronged and manipulated if I found out I gave towards a fake cause. 
I don't think gypsies love their kids any less than you love yours. That they make a living in a way you find objectionable does not make them bad parents. Yes, tugging on heartstrings is manipulation, but gypsies are nothing compared to Madison Avenue.

Offline Liar Loan

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 147
  • -Received: 125
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
It's sad that the kids are exploited this way, and I for one would feel incredibly wronged and manipulated if I found out I gave towards a fake cause. 
I don't think gypsies love their kids any less than you love yours. That they make a living in a way you find objectionable does not make them bad parents. Yes, tugging on heartstrings is manipulation, but gypsies are nothing compared to Madison Avenue.

Teaching their kids to be professional con artists doesn't make them bad parents?

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
  • -Given: 1792
  • -Received: 1465
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »
I for one would feel incredibly wronged and manipulated if I found out I gave towards a fake cause.

You could always do what Pastor Chuck Smith did. One day, I was listening to Pastors' Perspective. They had a caller with an identical concern. Chuck (or it may have been one of the other two co-hosts on the air with him, don't quote me on this, it was a while back) said when he's giving money to a beggar, he prays with them over it. As he's leading them in prayer, he prays the money would be used to bless the man, used for food to nourish the man's body, etc. (other true needs being met). He goes on to pray aloud that if this money is being used in any sinful ways or gained through deception, that the money would become a curse on the man's life. Some refuse to take the money.

:)

Offline Zion

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 2
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
if you really care, take them to that korean bbq place and have dinner with them. do that before criticizing the original poster or even throwing a stack of benjamin at them.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Thanksgiving break? by bitmaster20
[Today at 10:24:07 AM]

Beacon Park Elementary by Kelli
[Today at 10:19:17 AM]

Re: Thanksgiving break? by Dresden215
[Today at 10:13:58 AM]