You can't make this stuff up

morekaos

I was going to put this under the "everybody is bailing on California" thread but it so astonished me that it got me thinking about our PC obsessed country...then the second headline hit and I just didn't know wether to laugh or cry.

L.A. City Council replaces Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day on city calendar

The Los Angeles City Council voted Wednesday to eliminate Columbus Day from the city calendar, siding with activists who view the explorer as a symbol of genocide for native peoples in North America and elsewhere.

Over the objections of Italian American civic groups, the council made the second Monday in October a day in L.A. to commemorate ?indigenous, aboriginal and native people.? It replaces a holiday that served as a touchstone for Italian Americans, marking the arrival of Christopher Columbus in the Caribbean.

Italian Americans voiced anguish over the proposal, telling council members it would erase a portion of their heritage. Some said they supported the creation of Indigenous Peoples Day as long as it is held on a different date.

?On behalf of the Italian community, we want to celebrate with you,? said Ann Potenza, president of Federated Italo-Americans of Southern California, speaking in a room packed with Native American activists. ?We just don?t want it to be at the expense of Columbus Day.?

That idea was unacceptable to Chrissie Castro, vice chairwoman of the Los Angeles City-County Native American Indian Commission. She argued that city lawmakers needed to ?dismantle a state-sponsored celebration of genocide of indigenous peoples.?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-indigenous-peoples-day-20170829-story.html

Then this one...

Greek Life retreat cancelled after banana peel found in tree

A Greek Life retreat at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) was promptly cancelled this weekend after a banana peel was found hanging in a tree.
A student said he threw the peel because he could not find a garbage can, but the incident made some students uneasy, so the school ?felt it was imperative to provide space immediately to students affected by this incident.?

she and her friend were ?all just sort of paranoid for a second? after spotting the banana.

After word of the banana spread throughout the retreat, leaders decided to end the event early. Arndt explained that she ?felt it was imperative to provide space immediately to students affected by this incident.?

According to The DM, some students left the retreat in tears, with McNeil noting that they ?didn?t feel welcome? and ?didn?t feel safe.?

Swanson apologized for the incident, writing in a statement that he wants to ?sincerely apologize for the events that took place this past weekend.?

?Although unintentional, there is no excuse for the pain that was caused to members of our community,? he continued. ?I have much to learn and look forward to doing such and encourage all members of our community to do the same.?

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9679

Bet that snowflake will never litter again.  How is this stuff even real? 

America was not all rainbows and unicorns before 1492. In 1487, a mere five years before the arrival of white people in America, native Americans (Aztecs) murdered 84,000 people in a single four day human sacrifice extravaganza. 84,000 living victims had their still beating hearts ripped out.

There was certainly cruelty in Renaissance Europe, but nothing like what existed in America at the time.

quote-we-didn-t-land-on-plymouth-rock-plymouth-rock-landed-on-us-malcolm-x-39-65-08.jpg

Happiness said:
America was not all rainbows and unicorns before 1492. In 1487, a mere five years before the arrival of white people in America, native Americans (Aztecs) murdered 84,000 people in a single four day human sacrifice extravaganza. 84,000 living victims had their still beating hearts ripped out.

There was certainly cruelty in Renaissance Europe, but nothing like what existed in America at the time.

Nobody is proposing Huitzilopochtli Day ... The colonization of the Americas resulted in the extermination of over 100 million indigenous people.

So much pointless guilt by SJW's who never were a slave owner, oppressor, Indian hunter, slave trader, conquistador, KKK member, Nazi general, Apartheid persecutor, Rain forest deforester, Nambla member, blah blah blah blah....Work hard be a good person and provide for your family. This garbage is a pointless exercise and waste of time, effort and emotion.  As I said in another thread, most people are concerned with putting food on the table, and the Angels score than this "lofty endeavor".

peppy said:
Happiness said:

Nobody is proposing Huitzilopochtli Day ... The colonization of the Americas resulted in the extermination of over 100 million indigenous people.

Most of the natives were wiped out by disease, which wasn't well understood at the time.  To say they were "exterminated" would imply that it was coordinated and systematic.  Certainly, some acts of genocide occurred but the majority of deaths were due to a lack of immunities.

Liar Loan said:
peppy said:
Happiness said:

Most of the natives were wiped out by disease, which wasn't well understood at the time.  To say they were "exterminated" would imply that it was coordinated and systematic.  Certainly, some acts of genocide occurred but the majority of deaths were due to a lack of immunities.

Coordinated and systematic annihilation was the first stage of the colonization of the Americas. It still adds up to somewhere around 10 million deaths and definitely resulted in extermination of several (smaller) native tribes.

Please note Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto" was an educational, not a an entertainment film.

So, where does this end? Do we re-name Balboa Park in San Diego, and Balboa Island something else because as we know Columbus had some help extinguishing all of these people. Should we also rename Portola Springs and Portola Parkway because Portola's expedition likely trampled on someone along the way. Must we use "Trabuco" - a violent name for what was then a weapon of mass destruction - on our streets and schools? California is already gunning for Saint Serra of missions fame.

This will all end at some time, and I'd bet a few ducats now that it won't be very pretty.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

Soylent Green Is People said:
Please note Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto" was an educational, not a an entertainment film.

So, where does this end? Do we re-name Balboa Park in San Diego, and Balboa Island something else because as we know Columbus had some help extinguishing all of these people. Should we also rename Portola Springs and Portola Parkway because Portola's expedition likely trampled on someone along the way. Must we use "Trabuco" - a violent name for what was then a weapon of mass destruction - on our streets and schools? California is already gunning for Saint Serra of missions fame.

This will all end at some time, and I'd bet a few ducats now that it won't be very pretty.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

An extensive case has been made in pretty much every other American country when it comes to Columbus Day and reconciling that holiday with the atrocities that were committed against the native population in the name of colonialism. California is certainly not the first state to go this way in the USA.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

America is named after Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci.  Let's just rename the whole GD continent, why don't we?

So Americans killed the indigenous peoples. The indigenous peoples killed the Neanderthals. The Neanderthals wiped out the Cromags. The Cromags wiped out the Primates. The Primates were slaughtered by the Sauropods.... you go back far enough we're going to run out of people. animals, or rocks from space to blame for our right now 2017 state of affairs.

Let's just re-name everything " (insert grunting noise) " - as it goes back far enough to an blameless state of origination for all states of being.  Now, to quote Soylent Blue's favorite voice line let's all "Embrace Tranquility"

My .02c

No, it's much better to be able to hold entire organizations hostage to your emotions.

My feelings are always valid and I'm the only one that gets to say what they are and you have to correct your behavior to restore my feelings.

Comedy GOLD there!

Yes, my 3 yr olds used to have that same line of thinking.

Then they grew up.

No kidding!! I have been telling everybody for years that I am tall.  Facts be damned, if you don't agree with me that I am taller than everyone you are micro-aggressing me and not validating my personal point of view, therefore you are harassing and intimidating me and impinging on my constitutional right to life liberty and pursuit of MY happiness. Anybody have Gloria Allreads number?

Keep in mind what was going on in Europe during the colonization of America. Europe in the 1500s was going though the Protestant Reformation which was a century of the most horrific violence imaginable committed by whites against each other that claimed millions of lives. In England, Mary Tudor burned protestants for heresy and later her sister Elizabeth Tudor beheaded Catholics for treason. In France, Queen Catherine de Medici burned at the stake over 800 protestants as heretics in a single mass execution. Etc, Etc. Whites may not have treated native Americans with the utmost kindness, but at the time they were treating each other far worse.

peppy said:
Happiness said:

I wouldn't mind having Huitzilopochtli Day.  We can celebrate with a traditional ?llamaliztli ball game where the winner gets to lay across the podium.

220px-Huitzilopochtli_V.png

Life becomes much clearer when you accept that we were created with a nature to hate everyone else. Call it sin nature, call it an innate defense mechanism, just call it is what it is.

Don't know how to post YouTube videos, but pleeeeze someone post Tom Lehrer's "National Brotherhood Week" as a theme song for this thread.

Enjoy, you miserable SOBs.

SGIP

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

Another statue of St. Junipero Serra vandalized in California

A statue of St. Junipero Serra at the Old Santa Barbara Mission in California has been decapitated and splashed with red paint. The bronze statue was vandalized overnight between Sunday and Monday.

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2017/09/13/another-statue-st-junipero-serra-vandalized-california/

...And the snowflakes melt down and grease the slippery slope further. Unfortunaly, predictable...by George Orwell!

Back