Brush fire burns 12 acres in Irvine

It's only a few acres but glad they put it out fast. 

Otherwise, that OH3 grand opening is going to be smoking hot. 

Caveat Emptor -- If you are buying a new home in OH, PS, or HC, beware the fire danger. This will not be the last wildfire we see in Irvine.

Burn That Belly said:
iacrenter said:
Caveat Emptor -- If you are buying a new home in OH, PS, or HC, beware the fire danger. This will not be the last wildfire we see in Irvine.

The gates will protect the homes from fire. It's a feng shui thing.

What if there is a malfunction with the gates during the potential fire?

Here is a 2007 wildfire refresher for those who were not here. The great Santiago Fire burned its way to Orchard Hills and Portola Springs. If that same fire occurred today, homes would likely be lost in both villages. The fire even torched trees along Portola Pkwy behind Stonegate (right at the Crean Lutheran HS sports complex).

Here is a link to the old fire discussion on TI in 2011:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,1445.msg16816.html#msg16816

mc657v-mc6572santiagofireanniversary.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=168&v=dyiwFC53Hnw

Burn That Belly said:
Why is this a problem?
Burn That Belly said:
It's called insurance.

You can't live life without it.

We have health insurance, car insurance, liability insurance, dental insurance, pet insurance, property insurance, hell I believe they might even have divorce insurance.

This certainly won't be a deal breaker for potential buyers but it's another data point to consider. No home or village is perfect. Every buyer has to consider their priorities. Risk of wild fire is just one of many considerations when purchasing a $1M+ home (or $3M+ if you live in Alta Vista).

Burn That Belly said:
Why is this a problem?

It's called insurance.

You can't live life without it.

We have health insurance, car insurance, liability insurance, dental insurance, pet insurance, property insurance, hell I believe they might even have divorce insurance.

Insurance doesn't cover hotel costs during a mandatory evacuation. Hotels will probably be all sold out too.

iacrenter said:
Here is a 2007 wildfire refresher for those who were not here. The great Santiago Fire burned its way to Orchard Hills and Portola Springs. If that same fire occurred today, homes would likely be lost in both villages. The fire even torched trees along Portola Pkwy behind Stonegate (right at the Crean Lutheran HS sports complex).

Here is a link to the old fire discussion on TI in 2011:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,1445.msg16816.html#msg16816

mc657v-mc6572santiagofireanniversary.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=168&v=dyiwFC53Hnw

We were on evacuation alert for that fire. My sister told me I could come stay with her and I said well u live right up next to Whiting Ranch and another fire could break out and get you too! I think I'll go to mom's house close to the beach.

Fire changed direction and the fire dept banged on her door. They wanted access to the backyard which backs to whiting ranch. They stood on her BBQ to put out flames. She decided to high tail it out of there and on her way out a palm branch was on fire (from flying embers) in her front yard.

Luckily no one was hurt and no homes were burned but they did have plants singed along the fences that back whiting ranch.

Went from threatening Northwood to Foothill ranch. Covered such a large area it was pretty scary.

The Baker Canyon fire 10 years before that came from the Orange area toward Northwood. Had OH been built those homes would have been burned. Northwood High was not built yet or it would have burned. Northwood Pointe was new then and was under evacuation orders. The old Northwood homes starting with Canyon Creek/Windstream were next on the list. We could see the flames from our upstairs windows on the hills. We were going to move anyway, so we were already starting to pack our stuff but we stepped it up in a hurry seeing those flames.

Just a reminder to always keep gas in your car in case u need it in a hurry.

lnc said:
eyephone said:
What if there is a malfunction with the gates during the potential fire?

Don't worry, Paris will just ram the gate with her high performance German car.  :)

Might need a heavy duty truck or SUV to drive through the gate and make a successful escape.  ;)

Back