The Open-Floor-Plan Backlash

Yep.

And when entertaining, it gets pretty noisy... and it's not like today's Irvine homes have a large backyard to escape to.

Agreed. I like certain aspects of open floor plan, but many new 3000-4000 sqft homes are ridiculous. Instead of adding any rooms compared to 1800 sqft rooms they just make every room bigger.

I rented a 1990 home with 2400sqft that managed to fit two living areas.

paperboyNC said:
Agreed. I like certain aspects of open floor plan, but many new 3000-4000 sqft homes are ridiculous. Instead of adding any rooms compared to 1800 sqft rooms they just make every room bigger.

I rented a 1990 home with 2400sqft that managed to fit two living areas.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/106-Andirons-92602/home/112721856

Or better yet a 6200 sqft home with rooms "just bigger". I mean look at the great room, how many different seating areas can you have with that massive space? At least get creative and put a piano or pool table in one space to give it some additional functionality. And the kitchen doesn't even have a secondary kitchen space. The most this house has that a generic Irvine 2000-3000 sqft home does not have is a separate dining room space.
I guess you could clear out your great room and create a ballroom for a huge party. It'll be one impressive dance floor!  :)

Use your imagination guys.  That giant common room would make a great lobby, with piano, and reception desk for a first class birth hotel.

Back