Moviepass.com

J

jmoney74

Lost in all the dumb hate news is moviepass.com.  Started by the co-founder of Netflix, they just set new pricing.  $10 a month to watch movies at the theater.  One move per day.  AMC is trying to stop it but essentially moviepass is covering all the tickets and in exchange own the value of your juicy moving going data.  Game changer? 

jmoney74 said:
Lost in all the dumb hate news is moviepass.com.  Started by the co-founder of Netflix, they just set new pricing.  $10 a month to watch movies at the theater.  One move per day.  AMC is trying to stop it but essentially moviepass is covering all the tickets and in exchange own the value of your juicy moving going data.  Game changer?

I am seriously thinking of signing up for it.  If AMC succeeds at stopping it, then you simply cancel your account...  I thought I saw a free trial link on their site yesterday.

It's making the rounds in the news today.  The site is hammered.

spootieho said:
jmoney74 said:

I am seriously thinking of signing up for it.  If AMC succeeds at stopping it, then you simply cancel your account...  I thought I saw a free trial link on their site yesterday.

It's making the rounds in the news today.  The site is hammered.

Yeah thinking about it too. 

So you get the debit MC.. you come up to the theater and select the movie you want to watch on the app.. then the money is loaded on the card.. then buy the ticket like normal? 

Seems like I can just go and buy them for friends when I'm not watching.

I couldn't get onto their website yesterday either.

We would definitely sign up for this because just watching one movie per month pays for itself.

We're paying 9.99 per ticket at Costco now.

jmoney74 said:

The movie industry needs something to drive back movie watchers to the theaters.

Burn That Belly said:
Movie theaters don't make the bulk of their money from ticket sales. They make them from concession stands and profit margins are in the whopping 1000%+.

A small soda is $4.75 and a large one is $5.75. A small popcorn is like $5.00 and a large popcorn is like $5.75. Hot Dog, ICEE and nachos all $6 bucks or more. These 40 oz fountain drinks cost 15 cents in syrup and carbonated water and they buy bulk bags of kernel equating to again, less than 25 cents per bucket of popcorn. These are huge, huge margins and very little health/safety oversight is needed to serve these kinds of food so you can hire the high school kids with little training.  Unlike McDonalds or Jack in the box, movie theaters don't need any advertising for their food. The movie itself is the advertisement. The increased traffic alone should help drive these sales up as people will have more money to spend.

Not sure why AMC is upset with that. If I was a movie theater owner, the more people I can get into the door, the more likely I can get more sales at the concession stand.

bunch of old guys not willing to change with the times.  That being said, AMC and Regal stock might be a good buy even if the companies don't get it.

Streaming is killing the movie theater business. Why pay $20 for popcorn and soda when I can have the same at home for pennies?
It may survive but will turn into a specialty product like watching a concert or broadway show.

iacrenter said:
Streaming is killing the movie theater business. Why pay $20 for popcorn and soda when I can have the same at home for pennies?
It may survive but will turn into a specialty product like watching a concert or broadway show.

You have to change the experience somehow.. I think something like this brings people back in.  Add in some effects like shaking seats and effects.. might be the ticket.

iacrenter said:

But not all the streaming movies are grade A movies in my opinion.

It's just more competition for Netflix. First Disney announced that they will start there own streaming service and leave Netflix. Then this. If it works out for Disney, the other Studios might consider pulling out.

I'm sure if moviepass.com raises its price to $30 a month ($1 day)people will still buy it. That might be the model!

jmoney74 said:
iacrenter said:

You have to change the experience somehow.. I think something like this brings people back in.  Add in some effects like shaking seats and effects.. might be the ticket.

I agree it may help in the short run. But people are inherently lazy and would rather watch movies from their own couch (even if it doesn't shake their butts).

iacrenter said:
jmoney74 said:
iacrenter said:

I agree it may help in the short run. But people are inherently lazy and would rather watch movies from their own couch (even if it doesn't shake their butts).

you're going to sign up.. you know I had you at Vibrating seat!

eyephone said:
iacrenter said:

It's just more competition for Netflix. First Disney announced that they will start there own streaming service and leave Netflix. Then this. If it works out for Disney, the other Studios might consider pulling out.

I'm sure if moviepass.com raises its price to $30 a month ($1 day)people will still buy it. That might be the model!

Streaming is still the model for the foreseeable future but studios will probably do a hybrid approach. They will likely develop their own apps/service lines, partner with 3rd parties (e.g. Netflix), release films in traditional theaters, and offer earlier or same day release of new movies online.

iacrenter said:
eyephone said:
iacrenter said:

Streaming is still the model for the foreseeable future but studios will probably do a hybrid approach. They will likely develop their own apps/service lines, partner with 3rd parties (e.g. Netflix), release films in traditional theaters, and offer earlier or same day release of new movies online.

going to be a ways for that to happen though.  Studios still like their 1Billion dollars worldwide number.

jmoney74 said:
bunch of old guys not willing to change with the times.  That being said, AMC and Regal stock might be a good buy even if the companies don't get it.
AMC is a Chinese company as of a few years ago.  It's probably not the same old guys, but rather new old guys....  Not sure what's going on with them, other than the need to buy up all other movie theater chains.

So not easy to get started, you need the app and they send you a physical debit card.

No way to add family members as each person needs an account and a card. I guess they need to do that to make sure each ticket is given to the actual subscriber.

I think I'll sign us up and use Costco for the kids.

Why should AMC care. They are still getting paid (in fact, probably making more on tickets cause more people are going to the movies).  Add in the concession profits and it seems like a win-win (at least short-term).  I more question the viability of the 3rd party.  Is that "data" really worth the cost of those tickets (presuming most people buying this are going to see on average a couple movies a month). 

Bullsback said:
Why should AMC care. They are still getting paid (in fact, probably making more on tickets cause more people are going to the movies).  Add in the concession profits and it seems like a win-win (at least short-term).  I more question the viability of the 3rd party.  Is that "data" really worth the cost of those tickets (presuming most people buying this are going to see on average a couple movies a month).
I don't see why not.  Then again, I'd only be going to mainstream normal movies.  Movie club cards do that tracking too...

spootieho said:
Bullsback said:
I don't see why not.  Then again, I'd only be going to mainstream normal movies.  Movie club cards do that tracking too...

AMC just want to have their own subscription service at a higher premium so they are pissed.

Back