Is this CA cop right or wrong?

Well seems like the cop was "under control".  They were looking all around reaching for stuff all over the car.  Doesn't everyone put their info in the glove?  Cops only have a second to react.  At least he didn't go bang bang like that other cop who shot the black guy when he told the officer he was carrying a gun. 

I don't blame him. I had a Chippy do almost the same move when I went for my backpack to get my wallet out.  Can you blame them?  I wouldn't want that job.

I've had it happen to me at least a dozen times when I was younger.  At any time if I sneezed or whatever, I might have been shot.  Scary stuff.

IMO, this sort of thing should not be allowed.  Is he following protocol?  Maybe.  Protocol needs to change.  Cops shouldn't so freely use their guns to intimidate innocent people. 

That said, I'm ignorant of what's happened here.  There can be more to the story.

In this day and age, you have to assume that the police can easily verify the car registration without asking for it. 

It seems that having the freedom to ask for it, gives them the opportunity and license to harass people based on their gut instinct. 

Your license should be the only thing you need to provide. 

I read some comments under an article somewhere that the video isn't complete. The guy was reaching under his seat and the cop actually got shot.

Looks like the movement towards the bottom of the seat. That's why the cop pulled the gun.

Article from Mercury News
Berg said the first few minutes of the encounter, which did not make it into the now-viral video, included a ?cordial conversation? between the occupants of the vehicle and the officer, who explained why he stopped them and asked for the license of the female driver and the car?s registration and proof of insurance.

The occupants spent several minutes looking for those documents, and at one point the officer told them to stay in the vehicle as he prepared to walk back to his motorcycle to write a ticket. Berg said it was around that time the passenger started to reach under his seat.

?Unfortunately, the passenger?s unexpected movement toward the bottom of the seat caused the officer to perceive a threat and draw his handgun,? Berg said.

Source:http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/31/campbell-police-respond-to-viral-facebook-video-of-car-stop/

Burn That Belly said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntqumzeJsY

Bro I'd be scared too if someone draws a gun on me at point blank range like that. But for reals at the same time, I'm not going to aggravate that cop any further.

Burn That Belly said:
Are you guys shady lookin' or something or driving shady cars? I've been pulled over a dozen times and in no time have any CHP, motobike cop, or local PD pull a gun on me.

I realize that in this video the guy is all tatted up in his hands.

But did you make a movement towards the bottom of your seat?

Burn That Belly said:
Are you guys shady lookin' or something or driving shady cars? I've been pulled over a dozen times and in no time have any CHP, motobike cop, or local PD pull a gun on me.

I used to live in a shady town where a lot of shady stuff happened.  I wouldn't know how to describe it.  It was kind of like Dukes of Hazard meets Breaking Bad.

Burn That Belly said:
eyephone said:
Burn That Belly said:

But did you make a movement towards the bottom of your seat?

No but almost every time, I have to over extend myself and reach into my glove compartment to grab the info the cop wants. And we all know, 99% of the time, that is where all the crooks pack their heat. But at no time did cops pull a gun on me while I was reaching over and into my glove compartment.

Your not suppose to reach for the following: Glove compartment, under the seat, middle console. If you need to get your insurance card, you suppose to give the cop heads up that you are reaching for it. (I mean you don't have to ask, but if something happens. I don't know what to say.)

Just get the ticket and move on. I got one of those tickets driving without insurance. [back in the day] I forgot it at home and I just brought it to court and showed it. (Not a big deal)

LOL, I've had cops come up with their guns at the ready.

Whether it's that they're nervous, I made them nervous of they just have an attitude, whatever the reason, but what kind of genius thinks it's the right time to start arguing with them about the gun being out?

Back