Tustin District getting a food, retail overhaul

They really do need to make it easier to get out of the In-N-Out/Chik-fil-A parking lot.

"But smaller tenants have struggled to survive at the Vestar-owned center, which suffered as the Great Recession hit."

So basically, they suffered since they opened and continued to suffer while things improved.  The article makes it seem that things were going well for them for a long period of time and then the Recession hit them. 

I personally can't think of any of the stores or restaurants between the AMC and the Bowling Alley other than Five Guys.  That's probably not a good sign.

This is like an every year thing at the District.

That center has the worst design. If you look at the new Legacy mall, they learned a few things by making the parking lot for all stores in the center.

Finally Sharkey's is closing... I don't know how that happened to stay open so long. Replacing the seafood place with an Italian restaurant when you already have an Italian restaurant seems like something that would irritate Luna Rossa.

It would take time, but I would build an underground parking lot, the next floor would be the storefronts, followed by urban style flats on the second floor. Obviously a huge investment, but it would provide built in customers for the shops and a few less car trips for the residents.

They should really fix that street where cars are coming in from Barranca. It's not a good sign when you have to hire traffic control to get people safely across. 

Nice to see Prego making a return. It was such a nice place for business lunches in Irvine near the Marriott.

I forgot who told me this, but apparently it's normal for opening leases to be for 10 years at a shopping mall. Now the landlord is taking the opportunity to increase rents significantly and go more upscale with the tenant mix.

When I think "The District" I don't think retail success, but there you have it.

Kangen.Irvine said:
It would take time, but I would build an underground parking lot, the next floor would be the storefronts, followed by urban style flats on the second floor. Obviously a huge investment, but it would provide built in customers for the shops and a few less car trips for the residents.

I would love to retire in a place like this. When I get real old, I don't want to drive everywhere, and it would be nice to have a little place to walk. Plus as my hearing goes, the noise downstairs wouldn't bother me as much! The big problem, of course, is that building underground parking is spectacularly expensive (like $50k a space I think) so this concept is probably only financially feasible as a retail center on a pedestal on top of parking.

Back