Costa Mesa - costa bella

That is an inbuild property. There are several of them in that area.

I don't think that's a $1m location... much less a $1.5m+ one.

If you look at the neighborhood, you will see what I mean.

Floorplans are decent... most have dual master closets and bonus rooms, but for the models 3000sf+, the bedroom count should be higher and there should be a formal dining or a living room too (or a den/library in conjunction with a downstairs bedroom). At least the highest model has a 3CL garage.

irvinehomeowner said:

Floorplans are decent... most have dual master closets and bonus rooms, but for the models 3000sf+, the bedroom count should be higher and there should be a formal dining or a living room too (or a den/library in conjunction with a downstairs bedroom). At least the highest model has a 3CL garage.

That area in East Costa Mesa is actually very pricey and is gentrifying very quickly.  There are tons of new builds in that area now and all of these homes are well over 1M now.  If you can find a SFR under 1M there let me know.  The land price alone for most of the homes there are around 900K, if not more 

hello said:
irvinehomeowner said:

That area in East Costa Mesa is actually very pricey and is gentrifying very quickly.  There are tons of new builds in that area now and all of these homes are well over 1M now.  If you can find a SFR under 1M there let me know.  The land price alone for most of the homes there are around 900K, if not more

Here is a SFR for $899k across the street:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Costa-Mesa/2219-Santa-Ana-Ave-92627/home/4596491

Listing agent claims the lot is 7,800 sqft. Could be ripe for a teardown/rebuild. I like the area as well, but airplane noise doesn't bother me and I am a bit of an airplane nerd too so it works out.

Ouch to the previous owner of this home who bought in 2006 for $730k and sold in 2011 for $430k.

e: this corner lot is even nicer at over 10k sqft.https://www.redfin.com/CA/Costa-Mesa/2197-Santa-Ana-Ave-92627/home/4598332but the house is almost too nice to teardown despite the 1922 build. If you can upzone this to R-2 and build two houses I think that would be a really nice profit.

Lived in that area for a few years as a kid, then for a couple of years on my own during the 80's. Terrific place to buy. Tons of character and value (for now), plus close to the best booze store in OC - Hi-Time Wine Cellars.  ;)

That 2219 Santa Ana listing is a scraper. I'd expect that to be McMansion-ized something completely different in a year.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Lived in that area for a few years as a kid, then for a couple of years on my own during the 80's. Terrific place to buy. Tons of character and value (for now), plus close to the best booze store in OC - Hi-Time Wine Cellars.  ;)

That 2219 Santa Ana listing is a scraper. I'd expect that to be McMansion-ized something completely different in a year.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

Too bad Costa Mesa code appears to restrict accessory dwelling units on this lot. Looks like min 8500 sqft lot to put in a second unit:http://www.costamesaca.gov/ftp/planningcommission/agenda/2017/2017-06-12/PH-3.pdf

I would love to buy a lot in this area and build a primary home + attached 750 sqft ADU to help pay off my mortgage. In the future, it could be housing for parents, etc.

You don't build an ADU, but a detached 2-3 car garage. You plumb it for a washer and gas dryer, plus a gas water heater. You do a lot of clothing, so be sure that the drain plumbing is extra wide. You are needing to plumb for a prewash basin sink, right?  Also, since you like a cool garage to work on your car, you put in ducting and an AC/FAU. Finally, since opening and closing the garage door puts so much stress on the building, a second standard exit door would be useful.

Just sayin....

Soylent Green Is People.

look at the school ratings, consider the traffic

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

eyephone said:
look at the school ratings, consider the traffic

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

The schools look fantastic, and I imagine the traffic is manageable if you don't mind a sense of urban living. I suspect the planes will be way louder.

Back