handrails in front of the house

oceanmonkey

has anyone ever put in a handrail in front of the house? with aged family members that could greatly help walking in and out of the house through front door steps. my home is a detached condo, so I don't technically own area in front of the house.

I have a feeling if this is for elderly residents that can be declared with some disability the HOA may have to let you do it under the ADA... Was going to read through it but too lazy.

aquabliss said:
I have a feeling if this is for elderly residents that can be declared with some disability the HOA may have to let you do it under the ADA... Was going to read through it but too lazy.

great point aquabliss:
i found the following in the CC&R

9.21 Rights of the Disabled. The Master Association Design Review
Committee and each Neighborhood Association Design Review Committee shall neither
construe nor apply the provisions of this Article so as to unreasonably restrict the right of any
Owner who is blind, deaf or otherwise physically disabled or handicapped to modify his Lot or
Condominium, at such Owner's sole cost and expense, to accommodate such Owner's disability.

guess i might be able to put in one.

When Lambert Ranch was selling, some of  their model home have handrails in the front steps.  And they were debate whether is just the model home or all the home in the neighborhood are required to have it

Not sure what the conclusions are but many homes over there do have handrails in the front steps so their HOA must be ok with it. 

SF2to3LambertFieldPlan1.png

Can't remember exactly but code is that more than 3 or 5 steps require a handrail. I don't think it's enforced very often because when we first moved in and after reading the code I remember telling my wife that a bunch of neighbors were not in compliance (so it's probably three steps).

Not sure if the distinction matters but the CCR says the owners disability, not any residents disability. So if you own The condo but want to put something in for your elderly family members you may not be able to do it

lnc said:
When Lambert Ranch was selling, some of  their model home have handrails in the front steps.  And they were debate whether is just the model home or all the home in the neighborhood are required to have it

Not sure what the conclusions are but many homes over there do have handrails in the front steps so their HOA must be ok with it. 

SF2to3LambertFieldPlan1.png
For the house pictured, a wheel chair compatible ramp for the door instead of through the drive way.  Slope requirements on the ramp basically will require the entire front of the house be configured as a ramp.

Note, I don't consider that outrageous, it's just a reality of ramped entries.

We asked our HOA to install rails for our detached condo. Instead they sent us a thick envelope permitting us to install them at our expense and granting an easement on to their property.

Back