Older Irvine Village Values

Kangen.Irvine

Most people are searching for new properties in Irvine, but what about searching for a single family home in Woodbridge?

The first negative is obviously age of the property, but would the positives of small community parks and no Mello-Roos make it worth considering over the newer areas?

What would someone expect to pay for about 2,000 square feet (detached) in Woodbridge?

Unlike Burn, I prefer the older homes and floorplans.

But Woodbridge is expensive... it doesn't have FCBs but the lakes and the other demographics keep prices high.

A 2000sft detached SFR in Woodbridge (according to Redfin) starts at about $1m.

Burn That Belly said:
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. It looks so bad, so dilapidated on the outside, I would be the biggest joke in town if friends and family found out I blew $820k on this when I could've bought something like Trellis Court for the same money.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/14-E-Yale-Loop-92604/unit-29/home/5510023

Not to mention the outrageous HOA fee.

Check out picture 6. Is that a tree in the bathroom?

It's very competitive to get into Woodbridge. Very few detached SFRs go on sale and the demand is certainly there. Expect to pay ~ $1m for that property. No MRs and HOAs at less than $100. 

The houses are old, but well built. You may need to do a re-pipe and floors, but that's about it. Well, unless you want a gigantic kitchen then you are out of luck unless you are willing to do a major remodel.

House density is lower and you get way more greenery. None of the drought tolerant landscaping that was mandatory in the newer neighborhoods. Yale loop is spectacular when the Jacarandas are blooming.

The community experience varies within Woodbridge and really depends on what area you end up in. Being near one of the many parks/pools certainly helps running into your neighbors and getting to know them.

Burn That Belly said:
eyephone said:
Burn That Belly said:
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. It looks so bad, so dilapidated on the outside, I would be the biggest joke in town if friends and family found out I blew $820k on this when I could've bought something like Trellis Court for the same money.

Indeed that is

haha looks like they built it specifically for a planter and even put soil there.  What the #($*&#@(*$

aquabliss said:
Burn That Belly said:
eyephone said:
Burn That Belly said:

Indeed that is

haha looks like they built it specifically for a planter and even put soil there.  What the #($*&#@(*$

I'm wondering if that's an ideal thing to do?

Burn That Belly said:
Soil and probably watering moisture right next to that drywall. Not to mention the creeper critters that come out to play. Yeah. Clearly this demonstrates woodbridge homeowners have lost touch with modern living. Avoid like a plague.

I understand having a plant in the house in a pot, but having a plant planted in the bathroom.

Who knows it can be a fake tree?

I like older homes' floor plans.
High ceilings, separation of living and dinning areas, bigger lots with yards, and a lot more.
Of course there are bad ones too, but generally I think it was more unique and individual rather than the same cramped feeling which many new homes now days have.

The new ones are though more improved in convienence senses. Not having laundries in garages, bigger walk-in closets instead of small sliding door ones, kitchen islands, and energy efficiency upgrades, etc.
I think new homes use better materials also for wood and paints. And of course the community is cleaner and there is more fresh feels to them.

I would difinately be interested in a new home with some old homes' floor plans and spacings. That one would sell well.

eyephone said:
Burn That Belly said:
Soil and probably watering moisture right next to that drywall. Not to mention the creeper critters that come out to play. Yeah. Clearly this demonstrates woodbridge homeowners have lost touch with modern living. Avoid like a plague.

I understand having a plant in the house in a pot, but having a plant planted in the bathroom.

Who knows it can be a fake tree?

Looks like an artificial ficus planted in a pile of rocks.

peppy said:
It's very competitive to get into Woodbridge. Very few detached SFRs go on sale and the demand is certainly there. Expect to pay ~ $1m for that property. No MRs and HOAs at less than $100. 

The houses are old, but well built. You may need to do a re-pipe and floors, but that's about it. Well, unless you want a gigantic kitchen then you are out of luck unless you are willing to do a major remodel.

House density is lower and you get way more greenery. None of the drought tolerant landscaping that was mandatory in the newer neighborhoods. Yale loop is spectacular when the Jacarandas are blooming.

The community experience varies within Woodbridge and really depends on what area you end up in. Being near one of the many parks/pools certainly helps running into your neighbors and getting to know them.
The actual location is also quite nice (very centrally located, etc). 

My top 5 list of older Irvine hoods to live in (and they are all pretty much the same):

Turtle Rock
Quail Hill
Woodbridge
Westpark I/II
Northwood

Back