Favorite Potluck Dish?

socal78

I'm just curious what everyone's favorite potbless / potluck foods are.

I am now regularly making potluck food for 150+ people. I have a gazillion recipes and I often have indecisiveness when deciding what to make. I would say about a third are a different background than myself which is one reason for this question.

When I was growing up, you would typically see stuff like: deviled eggs, casseroles, meatballs, potato salad, a baked macaroni dish or a cold macaroni salad, Vienna sausages, wild rice, yeast rolls, coleslaw, baked beans, a garden salad,  etc... or heading further east: pierogies, cabbage rolls, bratwursts. The old people would eat stuff with beets in it. Not to mention all the pies, slab cakes, and desserts (rhubarb pie for the old people). I want to crawl inside people's heads and know what it is that they secretly hope to see on the table when they attend a potluck. For ex: I could eat my weight in deviled eggs but I don't know if many other people would want to.

Most times, these dishes are in addition to a main course made separately such as BBQ'd brisket, chicken, hamburgers or hot dogs. So if you want to only name appetizers or side dishes you would look for, that would still be helpful.

These days, I don't make as many desserts because I find that adults just don't eat them. Most adults are always on some sort of diet. A little bit are eaten by children & teenagers. Then they end up being forced on people to take home or thrown away. I try to foist them upon middle-aged bachelors and young men - best chances they'll be eaten.

Top potluck appetizers:
1. Grill shrimp on a stick. You can add a side of dipping sauce.
2. Eggrolls
3. Cheese and fruit plate
4. Meatball
5. Sausage on a roll (use croissant)
6. Spinach dip

Bottom:
1. Chips and Velveeta cheese dip
2. Macaroni salad with heavy load of mayo

The odd part about sweets is when you put them out during normal weekdays by the water cooler, your coworkers devour them.  But during a pot luck they all suddenly decide to be on a diet?

I've seen large pans of brownies and boxes of doughnuts get emptied out in the morning.  But sweet pies get neglected at pot luck.

Dresden215 said:
I usually bring a healthy pasta salad. Try this recipe at your next potluck:

http://littlespicejar.com/mediterranean-pasta-salad/

Same here. I really like make-ahead dishes like this one to take the pressure off rushing around the day of the potluck.

One day I made a pesto pasta, among other things. There's one guy who always attends. He looks like a body builder. He was the first to show up to the entrance of the buffet tables, pointed at everything, and loudly announced: "Carbs. Carbs. Carbs. CARBS!" Like it wasn't good enough for him. He selectively took some meat and left. It honestly kind of hurt my feelings. Not just for myself but everybody who put the time & effort into doing this for all the people. We worked REALLY HARD. It's like... even if you think that, why would you say that right in front of the people who are doing this for you. He could have just taken what he wanted and left or politely put a little bit of other things on his plate. Since the people who complain are not usually the ones who pitch in, I don't think they realize it can be a challenge finding things to make that A) You can make ahead (unless you want to get up at the crack of dawn), B) are easy to transport, and C) Are temperature-stable or are practical to reheat or chilled. I have to narrow down the list just by that a lot of times.

If you have an Instagram account, try following some of the short video recipe profiles like @TipBuzzz, @Tasty.Hub, @UrbanSpoon. I've stolen many a pot luck item from them and passed the dish along as mine They have some pretty smart and quick ideas to try.

My "go to" used to be Shepherd's Pie (with ground beef, not lamb as in the original... however some Soylent Green might be appropriate...) but now I bring something unique - and also universally edible  - whenever possible.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

Soylent Green Is People said:
universally edible

Does such a thing actually exist, though? It seems impossible to make everybody happy.

Between the celiac / GF crowd, the low carbers, the vegetarians, the calorie-conscious, the Diet-du-Jour-fill-in-the-blank, it seems like water is the only universally edible thing left. But only if it's vapor distilled, filtered, organic glacier water with added electrolytes, of course. Kidding. Kind of.

SoCal said:
Soylent Green Is People said:
universally edible

Does such a thing actually exist, though? It seems impossible to make everybody happy.

Between the celiac / GF crowd, the low carbers, the vegetarians, the calorie-conscious, the Diet-du-Jour-fill-in-the-blank, it seems like water is the only universally edible thing left. But only if it's vapor distilled, filtered, organic glacier water with added electrolytes, of course. Kidding. Kind of.

SoCal you are way too nice. These are some of my favorite items I bring to potlucks. I never seem to get any complaints. Then again, I never seem to get invited back again.  ???

a6v28vmudfaxgauzyi6b.jpg

vin7x6btd8x7dwje72dm.jpg

qgr3xqxarpsvumkp3fij.jpg

reh2kfworvoq0xynkjtq.jpg

iwibiyrsmuzej3mhquwn.jpg

mpgtcy2s7ivrltjknic0.jpg
[/img]

Sushi bake, lots of recipes online, make sure to toast up the seaweed slightly, bring the expensive Japanese kind, skip the cheaper oil drenched Korean versions (those are good on their own, just not with a sushi bake).  A healthy dose of furikake and you got a umami bomb for your guests. 

Universally edible - AKA no heavy garlic or curry - some, but with a light touch is preferred. Nothing super spicy hot or wildly sour dishes either. Example: I made a Chicken Mole this weekend and had only a few takers as it's an unusual flavor for many. Fine by me as I love a rich, dark Mole sauce on food! It's possible to present an "A-B" choice - something cooked as intended, and a toned down version for those with more delicate palates. As for the vegan, locally grown, 100 percent organic foodies, I won't cook to their self imposed boundaries. Can't please all of the people all of the time and with so many lifestyle choice restrictions to jump over, it's not worth the headache.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People
Head Chef,
The Soylent Corporation

SoCal said:
Dresden215 said:
I usually bring a healthy pasta salad. Try this recipe at your next potluck:

http://littlespicejar.com/mediterranean-pasta-salad/

Same here. I really like make-ahead dishes like this one to take the pressure off rushing around the day of the potluck.

One day I made a pesto pasta, among other things. There's one guy who always attends. He looks like a body builder. He was the first to show up to the entrance of the buffet tables, pointed at everything, and loudly announced: "Carbs. Carbs. Carbs. CARBS!" Like it wasn't good enough for him. He selectively took some meat and left. It honestly kind of hurt my feelings. Not just for myself but everybody who put the time & effort into doing this for all the people. We worked REALLY HARD. It's like... even if you think that, why would you say that right in front of the people who are doing this for you. He could have just taken what he wanted and left or politely put a little bit of other things on his plate. Since the people who complain are not usually the ones who pitch in, I don't think they realize it can be a challenge finding things to make that A) You can make ahead (unless you want to get up at the crack of dawn), B) are easy to transport, and C) Are temperature-stable or are practical to reheat or chilled. I have to narrow down the list just by that a lot of times.

That's horrible and there was no thank you at all? If you have to include this person in your next potluck, just keep it all carbs. ha!

Back