iPhone 8 News

I'm getting one. OLED screen, new body design, AR cameras, better waterproofing, and more memory will make it a good  upgrade. I'm not looking forward to losing my earphone jack. I hate BT headphones.  I can't stand charging yet another device. When is wireless long distance charging becoming reality? I will also miss losing TouchID if that rumor is true.

Things are looking pretty good so far. I'm looking forward to a bigger/better screen in a smaller body size. Hopefully there isn't a significant delay in production.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...esign-price-release-date-camera/#194ebf2110ba

Screen-2b-1200x675.jpg

Screen-2d-1200x675.jpg

Screen-2c-1200x675.jpg

Screen-1e-1200x675.jpg

Looking forward to getting a 4k apple TV so I can make good use of my 4K+HDR set.  Sometimes I can just sit and drool at the Apple TV screen savers.  Hope they have a good amount of content on release day.

Soylent Yellow just pulled the trigger on iP7 so she's out. Soylent Red's iP6 will likely get an upgrade to iP8.

Soylent Green is the lone Android holdout. My Note 8 with 256k card, waterproofing, infinity screen, headphone jack, and wireless charging, is my next one replacing the Note 5. Still can't make the jump into the Cupertino based hive mind yet.

Having learned from Note 7 and earlier iPhone versions with signal issues, we're going to wait for real user feedback before paying $$$$, avoiding what could turn out to be the purchase of a very expensive incendiary device.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

Anyone read up on Gigabit LTE and that this version of the iPhone may not have it.  I may hold out until next year and hope OLED screen iPhones become the norm and cheaper.

akkord said:
Anyone read up on Gigabit LTE and that this version of the iPhone may not have it.  I may hold out until next year and hope OLED screen iPhones become the norm and cheaper.

Not having giga LTE will not be a deal breaker this year. I don't foresee providers rolling out the technology until next year in select markets.

So Apple is planning to support 5 phone models now, the 5SE, the 6S, the 7, the 8 and the X, that's probably the most they ever had.

irvinehomeowner said:
So Apple is planning to support 5 phone models now, the 5SE, the 6S, the 7, the 8 and the X, that's probably the most they ever had.

They need more products to fill out their new larger stores!

I guess all the leaks were pretty accurate. Makes for a pretty boring Apple presentation. At least I have more time to think about my iPhone X preorder.

Deal breaker for me since I keep my phones 2-3 years on average. If gigabit LTE is next year why get the X now?  If you upgrade every year nothing is a deal breaker since you get the newest  tech every year.

iacrenter said:
akkord said:

Not having giga LTE will not be a deal breaker this year. I don't foresee providers rolling out the technology until next year in select markets.

akkord said:

This is the time other companies should introduce their phones to the US.

I'm surprised they are getting rid of the home button. Just like the headphone jack, that's not really a functional move.

And Face ID is a joke... there are many occasions where I unlock my phone without putting my face directly in front of it.

At least they didn't switch to USB-C, all my 20-ft knockoff Amazon Lightning cables would cry.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm surprised they are getting rid of the home button. Just like the headphone jack, that's not really a functional move.

And Face ID is a joke... there are many occasions where I unlock my phone without putting my face directly in front of it.

At least they didn't switch to USB-C, all my 20-ft knockoff Amazon Lightning cables would cry.

;)

I usually upgrade every year except last year. Rumors of the iPhone X and OLED kept  me away from the 7. Plus losing the headphone jack sounded like a real bummer. So I can see your point if you really plan to keep your phone for several years. Maybe buy one of the cheaper phones, keep your current iPhone, or buy a used phone to tide you over until they upgrade to gigabit LTE or 5G. But given the uncertainty on the rollout, I wouldn't worry too much. Enjoy the new phones now and you can you always upgrade later. iPhones have decent resale value.

akkord said:
Deal breaker for me since I keep my phones 2-3 years on average. If gigabit LTE is next year why get the X now?  If you upgrade every year nothing is a deal breaker since you get the newest  tech every year.

iacrenter said:
akkord said:

irvinehomeowner said:

I agree. Face ID is only a place holder until they can implement Touch ID through the screen. I guess we will wait for this in the iPhone XS in 2018.

It will be much harder to discreetly open my iPhone during business meetings, classes and even church. Apple will be making my life hard.  ;)

Back