Semi-detached vs Detached??

randys

Hi Folks,

What do you guys think about Semi-detached (just sharing 1 wall) vs Detached in terms of
1) value
2) actual day-to-day living?

We're looking at a really nice semi-detached home that has a lot of sq footage and priced really well.  In contrast, detached home is much more expensive, but the walls are so close that we're not sure if it's worth the premium.

Appreciate the insights folks, cheers!

What is semi-detached? (I know of attached and detached)

randys said:
Hi Folks,

What do you guys think about Semi-detached (just sharing 1 wall) vs Detached in terms of
1) value
2) actual day-to-day living?

We're looking at a really nice semi-detached home that has a lot of sq footage and priced really well.  In contrast, detached home is much more expensive, but the walls are so close that we're not sure if it's worth the premium.

Appreciate the insights folks, cheers!

Sorry, semi-detached means a structure with only 2 homes, sharing 1 wall.

As opposed to townhouses where it is multiple structures, and could be sharing 2 walls.

Cheers.

randys said:
Sorry, semi-detached means a structure with only 2 homes, sharing 1 wall.

As opposed to townhouses where it is multiple structures, and could be sharing 2 walls.

Cheers.

Btw - are you from England? I noticed they tend to say Cheers meaning good bye or thank you.

I'd prefer to sacrifice location rather than have a shared wall. Especially if you have kids you don't want your neighbor complaining about their noise.

Detached > semi-detached/attached (whether it's one or more common walls)

Detached properties have and always will appreciate and hold their value better than semi-detached/attached properties.  If you can afford detached, buy detached. 

Thanks for all the input so far folks!  Always appreciate the helpfulness in this community!

Now, all things being equal, it's obvious detached is better.  I guess the question is when does the scale tip.  e.g In Portola Springs

Detached - 900k - 2100 sq ft, okay view, okay location.
1-wall attached - 885k - 2650 sq ft, great view, great location.

Does that tip the scale?

Cheers and Happy 4th!

randys said:
Thanks for all the input so far folks!  Always appreciate the helpfulness in this community!

Now, all things being equal, it's obvious detached is better.  I guess the question is when does the scale tip.  e.g In Portola Springs

Attached - 850k - 2650 sq ft, great view, great location.

Does that tip the scale?

Cheers and Happy 4th!

For that price I wouldn't buy in Portola Springs.

randys said:

Does that tip the scale?

Cheers and Happy 4th!

I vote for attached.  It's 25% bigger and 50k less.

Go knock on the doors of your neighbor and find out who they are before you buy.

randys said:

Does that tip the scale?

Cheers and Happy 4th!

2650 sq ft with only one wall attached in PS for $850k?!

Buy it.  I don't think you'll find anything else in Irvine for $321 / sq. ft.  Then again I Presume this is a typo.

Can't see any listing like this.

Helena, semi-attached, did better than Petaluma, detached. Delano, semi-detached, is giving tough time to Petaluma. I think it is about "feel". Noise-wise: I don't think it makes much difference, as both homes get their own walls and have  some air in between. So, it is not like that both semi-attached homes are sharing the same wall. Also, the space between detached ones is so less that any noisy neighbor would be a problem in both cases.

Welcome back, YellowFever! You and I went over numbers for Petaluma and Helena. We compared appreciation in prices between Helena and Petaluma after 25 phases. Petaluma saw lesser appreciation than Helena.
Following is link for your reference:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,15398.msg310625.html#msg310625

BTW, Delano is not 100K less; Delano Plan 2, 1714 Sq ft,3bed 2.5bath, is selling for $821K where as Petaluma Plan1 is selling roughly $858K. And, Delano ALL phases are completely sold out--so far.

Petaluma has 8 phases left and they have reached $900K. You are saying that in next 8 phases, prices would go up another $100K?

$2M is the new $1M
EW is solidly Value Village
Village with 1/2 homes 1.5M+ and 1/4 homes 2.0M+ = Premium Village.

All others are Value Village with EW in lower VV

Thanks for the insights folks!

@aquabliss @WTTCHMN

You are correct, I sent out the post out too quickly, the semi-detached is 885k.  Apologies, I've updated my original post.  And it's sort of a private deal.

We still think it's a good deal at around $333/sq ft.  If there are other opinions, would love to hear it before we commit.

randys said:
Thanks for the insights folks!

@aquabliss @WTTCHMN

You are correct, I sent out the post out too quickly, the semi-detached is 885k.  Apologies, I've updated my original post.  And it's sort of a private deal.

We still think it's a good deal at around $333/sq ft.  If there are other opinions, would love to hear it before we commit.

I'd still take the attached.  500 sq feet more is like an extra 2 bedrooms.

Back