Security Screen Doors

Does anyone have security screen doors?  If so:
* Do you like them?
* How simple/complex is the design?
* Any tips on how to choose one?
* Any recommendations on an installation company?
* How difficult was it to obtain HOA approval?

I have one installed, but I don't live in a HOA.  I'm in a cul de sac and it's a magnet for door to door sales people & religious groups.  You can hire a contractor and visit Lowes/Home Depot to find one that you like.  They offer superficial security benefits to compliant visitors, if someone really want to break in it's not difficult to go through the window or sliding glass door.  Most windows and sliding doors pop right off the track.

If you are in a HOA you need to discuss it with the association first.

momopi said:
I have one installed, but I don't live in a HOA.  I'm in a cul de sac and it's a magnet for door to door sales people & religious groups.  You can hire a contractor and visit Lowes/Home Depot to find one that you like.  They offer superficial security benefits to compliant visitors, if someone really want to break in it's not difficult to go through the window or sliding glass door.  Most windows and sliding doors pop right off the track.

Momopi -

Life would be so much simpler if HOA approval was not required.

BusyHomeowner said:
momopi said:

Momopi -

Life would be so much simpler if HOA approval was not required.

Yes, but it's our choice to buy in a HOA or not, assuming that you can afford the choice.

Per Zillow, in 1950's only 1% of SFR's and 58% of multifamily homes are in a HOA.  Today, 41% of SFR's and 88% of multifamily homes built since 2008 are in a HOA.  Average HOA fees for SFR is ~$50 vs ~$300 for multifamily units:

HOA-Fee-How-Much-Paid_2-6f41c2.png

Source: https://www.zillow.com/research/homeowner-association-fees-11384/

Recently, Volvo has announced that they will only make electric & hybrid new models after 2019, and France has announced that they will ban the sale of new gas and diesel cars by 2040.  I think it's obvious that the trend is moving toward electric and hybrid vehicles.  From investment perspective, I have stopped buying condos and will likely only buy single story SFR's on 5,000 sq ft or large lots, preferably without HOA or at least with less restrictive HOA with low monthly dues.  Homes near train stations are also very desirable.

For now solar panel installs goes on top of the roof.  In future I think it will be combined where roof tiles are replaced by solar tiles.  Single story SFR's tend to have more "roof space" and safer/cheaper to work on vs 2 or 3 story homes.  With sufficient lot space it's possible to build covered patios into the backyard with additional solar panels on top, plus small sheds for equipment.

SFR owners will enjoy lower (or no) HOA fees and more benefits from solar energy subsidies.  Apartment renters will be stuck paying high rents and electricity by the meter.  Multifamily unit owners will be stuck with high HOA fees and less benefit from solar energy since there is less "roof space" per unit, plus the electricity generated will probably go toward HOA facilities first.

If you buy a single story SFR in a HOA you may have some protection against neighbors building 2-3 story homes and reduce your solar panel exposure.  But that risk can be reduced if you observe the path of the sun relative to your future neighbor's homes before buying, or if you buy homes on a hill where the elevation benefits your sun exposure, plus large sloped yards. 

HOA is also better at using pooled resource (HOA fees) to hire security guards.  With current trend in automation and AI replacing human jobs, I think we will have a period of instability from now until majority of humans settle into minimum basic income.  Your HOA fees may go up but it's better to have 24/7 paid armed security patrols than having to install security gates/bars on all doors/windows.

Back