Irvine vs. San Diego residents

jwblue

I live in San Diego and am looking to move out of this town to Irvine.

For anyone that has lived in both cities how do the people of Irvine compare to the people of San Diego?

What part of San Diego?

Scripts ranch and la jolla village remind me of Irvine.
Downtown and the northern county beach communities not at all.

People in San Diego are 1000x more friendly and relaxed than Irvine.

jwblue said:
I live in San Diego and am looking to move out of this town to Irvine.

For anyone that has lived in both cities how do the people of Irvine compare to the people of San Diego?

San Diego is huge and varied but... Irvine is generally more conservative, affluent, Asian, and master planned. Imagine Carmel Valley anchored by a 99 Ranch market.

Lived in SD before, not a fan, weather is nicer, traffic occurs near curves, uphill, and downhill segments of freeway for some reason (no accidents), old people, good Mexican food, and Torrey Pines is a plus with resident card.  I'll consider it as a place to retire.

Lived in North County precisely Sabre Springs and Rancho Penasquitos for 2 years after living in Tustin Ranch for 10years. I found San Diego to be very expensive( I know that sounds ridiculous, because people think OC is very expensive).Everything to me was expensive, utilities(this include water, waste, gas and electricity), groceries and life in general.Utility is provided by the county and with that monopoly, the prices are outrageous(Gas for me was $200, water $250, electricity $400 , I did not live in a mansion). Maybe, if I lived in Chula Vista I will be singing a different song, even my colleagues who lived in Chula Vista complained about the crazy utility bills. In both communities that I lived in , we only had an Albertsons, Vons and Stater Bros in Rancho Penasquitos(these were miles apart) and no grocery store in Sabre Springs. If you wanted anything ethnic you had to hop on the freeway to Mira Mesa(7miles away)or El Cajon(18-20miles away). In OC, regardless of whatever city you live in you have choices on where to find food and utilities are not that crazy.
Traffic is horrible due to the topography of SD.There are barely any side streets that are more than a 2-3 miles that you can take to avoid freeway traffic. Unlike in OC, where streets run over 10miles straight and cut across different cities.

IMO San Diego manage their water resource and water reservoirs better.  Good  freshwater and salt water fishing, rivers with actual water running, desalination plants, and close proximity to Mexico for cheap prescription meds, zona roja entertainment, and bug-out in case of emergency.

The job market, on the other hand, is not as good as LA/OC.  If you were commuting from SD to Irvine for work on the train, it's 1 hour 40-50 mins each way and monthly pass is $432 (less with company/tax subsidies).  On the plus side Amtrack trains are nicer than Metro rail.

10220742-0124-4ef5-8939-098f50cafc27.jpg

I lived in North County San Diego for 5 years and Irvine/ surrounding areas for 15+ years. I prefer San Diego. Problem is it is often difficult to find work there.

ChunkFinley said:
I lived in North County San Diego for 5 years and Irvine/ surrounding areas for 15+ years. I prefer San Diego. Problem is it is often difficult to find work there.

Just curious what city?  Vista?  Carlsbad?  Oceanside?

Back