Instant Pot

momopi

Who has one?  :D

My 8 qt just arrived this week.

Instant-Pot-Duo.jpg

Be careful  to release the valve slowly otherwise you'll have a geyser. Don't ask me how I know 😉

iacrenter said:
Be careful  to release the valve slowly otherwise you'll have a geyser. Don't ask me how I know 😉

I used natural release and waited 20 mins.  For ribs it was sufficient, but for chicken stock, due to the large amount of liquid in pot it took a while to release the steam when I opened the valve.  Even after steam was released, when I opened the lid the liquid was still boiling.

A few observations:

* People might tell you the pot can cook ribs in 20-22 minuets, but in actuality it takes ~10 mins to build the pressure from start and another 18-20 mins for natural pressure release at the end.  So if the cook time is 20 mins, it actually takes 10 + 20 + 20 = 50 mins total.

* If you want the texture and flavor for the ribs you will need to brush sauce then roast in oven for another 5-10 mins.

* If you're cooking soupy stuff the pressure release time will take longer.  Even after 30 mins, when I turned the pressure valve it took a while to release all the pressure.

* This pot is great for making chicken soup or similar, like chicken pho soup base.  But for Taiwanese style spicy beef noodle, it can cook beef and tendons quickly but flavor infusion in the meat is a little lacking.  Also since the pot is closed, you can't skim the scum like stove top during cooking.  Need to do longer pre-boiling step on stove top for beef and pork.

* The saute function is great for onions and spices, or even meats before you pour liquid in to de-glaze.

peppy said:
momopi said:
I have only had it for less than a week, but so far the most successful was the chicken pho stock recipe.  Instead of whole chicken I put in 8 drumsticks because 8 pieces of chicken is a whole chicken (cough):
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/157517114578/instant-pot-pressure-cooker-chicken-pho

Didn't have an apple laying around for the recipe, but it came out pretty well.

What was total cook time? Shopping time?

First you set it on saute for the spices for few mins.  Then you add the rest of the ingredients.

I set it for 15 mins on chicken.  Takes 10 mins to build pressure, + 15 mins cook time, + 30 min natural pressure release.

Note that since this has a lot of liquids, the normal 18 min natural pressure release is not enough.  Even after 30 mins when you manually vent pressure, it still takes a while.

JT said:
Is there really an 8QT Instant Pot? I've only seen the 6QT in 3 different versions.

Yes, there is only one 8 qt model (DUO80) vs five 6 quart models.  You can get the cheapest LUX60 model for about $70, or knock-off's at Home Depot and other places for $50 and up.  I would pay a little more for the Instant Pot.

These electric pressure cookers are not heirloom appliances.  Chances are that they will break within 5 years of use.  If you want to splurge check out Breville pressure cookers (>$200).

Back