The asianfying of northpark square plaza

abosch00

Signs for Chai Lan Chinese Cuisine and Spice Palace are up in Norhpark Square plaza.

When American tenants like Round Table Pizza move out - the Asians move in.  Not to dissimilar to what's happening with Irvine resale real estate.

abosch00 said:
Signs for Chai Lan Chinese Cuisine and Spice Palace are up in Norhpark Square plaza.

When American tenants like Round Table Pizza move out - the Asians move in.  Not to dissimilar to what's happening with Irvine resale real estate.

makes sense doesn't it?  business to cater to the locals. 

They just have to make sure the asians don't dirty the place up.. thank goodness for the Irvine company. 

I find it annoying. I'm Asian. I like Asian food, but I also want the option of other types of cuisines in my immediate area. I hope that a variety of  restaurants and shops will stay in Irvine.

I think the questions was asked back in 2010.
"When will Irvine turn into Monterey Park?"

Probably never as the Irvine Asians are more American relative to their LA brethren.

Yes there is more pressure to speak perfect English in Irvine than other cities....it's a good thing if you like America.

PrettyInGray said:
Cost of Asian food in Irvine is typically bit more to cover the extra overhead expenses charged by the Irvine Co. My position of seeing more Asian restaurants is neutral, but the food must be worth the price!

I have not found a single Vietnamese place that serves decent Vietnamese sandwiches "Banh Mi." I really think there is a market to sell Banh Mi in Irvine.

THH in Tustin is where we normally go, but they've raised their prices since their initial opening and less generous with their extra meat charge these days so less frequented now.

Pho Bac off Barranca used to be decent for the price, but they've raised their prices couple times in the past year and a half, only go when the wife really wants pho and we don't want to drive. 

PrettyInGray said:
Cost of Asian food in Irvine is typically bit more to cover the extra overhead expenses charged by the Irvine Co. My position of seeing more Asian restaurants is neutral, but the food must be worth the price!

I have not found a single Vietnamese place that serves decent Vietnamese sandwiches "Banh Mi." I really think there is a market to sell Banh Mi in Irvine.

People drive to gg.

akkord said:
PrettyInGray said:

THH in Tustin is where we normally go, but they've raised their prices since their initial opening and less generous with their extra meat charge these days so less frequented now.

Pho Bac off Barranca used to be decent for the price, but they've raised their prices couple times in the past year and a half, only go when the wife really wants pho and we don't want to drive.

How about "Saw Leaf Caf?" in Irvine Market Place?

Irvine Dream said:
akkord said:
PrettyInGray said:

How about "Saw Leaf Caf?" in Irvine Market Place?

I'm a fan of Saw Leaf Cafe but understand its pretty americanized.  Their pick2 combo I think is genius because normally half way through a big bowl of pho I wish I got something else instead.  Problem solved. 

Their Bahn Mi is a bit too stick and sweet for my liking.

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
I just tried sawleaf at the market place the other day. I thought the steak sandwich was pretty good.

How much did it cost?

He steak sandwich was around 9 and the sweet potato fries with sriracha aioli were about 4. So around 14. Pricier than Lees but you get more meat.

PrettyInGray said:
eyephone said:
PrettyInGray said:

People drive to gg.

True for some. GG seems so far. I might as well pick up some traditional Pho while I'm there.

Has anyone ever tried any of these places in tustin near the 5 freeway?
https://www.yelp.com/biz/tan-hoang-huong-sandwiches-and-coffee-tustinhttps://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-hung-vuong-tustin

Have always drove past but never checked it out.

Back