New Apple HomePod

iacrenter said:
https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-new-homepod-smart-speaker-brings-siri-home/

Just announced today at WWDC 2017: HomePod smart speaker for $349.

It's not clear if it will integrate with any other music service besides Apple Music. They also didn't talk about HomeKit integration or controlling your AppleTV with this new device.

I already own Echo, Google Home and a Sonos speaker. There seems to be little reason for me to buy this device.

They have to release more products to run with this.  These companies will start to integrate more as the years go by but there is no immediate need for any.

With Amazon coming to Apple TV, methinks there is more melding of these two companies to come. Do you by an Echo/Dot or HomePod, if they might soon all act as one?

SGIP

The only purchase I made was for the Sonos speaker. My Echo Dot and Google Home were gifts from family.

I agree, none of these new devices feel essential. They are fun to play with the kids. I do use Spotify and Sonos everyday to listen to music, so maybe Apple is on to something by focussing on music quality.

Soylent Green Is People said:
With Amazon coming to Apple TV, methinks there is more melding of these two companies to come. Do you by an Echo/Dot or HomePod, if they might soon all act as one?

SGIP

Amazon and Google will probably act on the same.. but I can definitely see Apple just growing their own products. 

eyephone said:
(Yawns) Apple late to the game.

yeah but the others really haven't taken advantage of the connected home at all.. so it's still up for grabs.  Apple just shouldn't have put much into that stupid watch.  lol.. but maybe someday that will all play in together.

SGIP
Most households have Amazon prime.  I think well over 80% of Apple's target demographics for AppleTV have Amazon Prime.  When they see the Apple TV doesn't show Prime, they are more likely to buy something else like the Roku.

It makes sense for Apple to work with Amazon here.

My thoughts...

I have 2 echos and Alexa is dumb as dirt.  It does what I need for the most part, but it has a LONG way to go.  Even for playing music, it has a hard time playing songs in your library if it finds them outside the library too.  If I ask Alexa to turn on the AC, it often asks me on what device.  I only have one, figure it out.

Siri is much smarter than Alexa, when it works.  I assume it's device will be much more advanced than Alexa.

I rarely use google, but it seems to be the best when I do use it.  I assume that the google home device is much like okay google on the android.

When Soylent Red asks for driving directions to Hollywood, Siri lets her know that a flight to Bollywood costs $1,250 one way and that there are 6 airlines leaving from LAX.

When I ask Google Assistant for directions to Hollywood, it gets me right where I need to go. From my limited, but first hand experience, I'd take a pass over Siri compared to a device with Google Assistant instead.

My .02c

SGIP

spootieho said:

SGIP
Most households have Amazon prime.  I think well over 80% of Apple's target demographics for AppleTV have Amazon Prime.  When they see the Apple TV doesn't show Prime, they are more likely to buy something else like the Roku.

It makes sense for Apple to work with Amazon here.

My thoughts...

I have 2 echos and Alexa is dumb as dirt.  It does what I need for the most part, but it has a LONG way to go.  Even for playing music, it has a hard time playing songs in your library if it finds them outside the library too.  If I ask Alexa to turn on the AC, it often asks me on what device.  I only have one, figure it out.

Siri is much smarter than Alexa, when it works.  I assume it's device will be much more advanced than Alexa.

I rarely use google, but it seems to be the best when I do use it.  I assume that the google home device is much like okay google on the android.

Plus Alexa seems to get more deaf and dumber as time goes on. I have to yell sometimes. Plus she has a hard time understanding "80s hits radio on Pandora".  She says LZ hits radio instead. What the heck is LZ

The $350 price tag seems a bit much unless the speakers are significantly better.
----
Pros: you can use multiple speakers together and they both can be spacially aware of their surroundings to create an optimal listening experience.

Cons: less Siri commands.

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
(Yawns) Apple late to the game.

yeah but the others really haven't taken advantage of the connected home at all.. so it's still up for grabs.  Apple just shouldn't have put much into that stupid watch.  lol.. but maybe someday that will all play in together.

I don't think this is game changer.

marmott said:
iacrenter said:
They also didn't talk about HomeKit integration or controlling your AppleTV with this new device.

There was a whole part about homekit integration and how it can serve as a hub for it even away from home.
https://www.apple.com/homepod/

I'm glad they included HomeKit. AirPlay2 should be compatible with the latest Apple TV. I'm still not clear if Siri control of ATV via HomePod is possible.

marmott said:
It's a December launch, plenty of time for them to create expectations.

When you launch your new product. Try not to make political statements. Is he running for office?

eyephone said:
marmott said:
It's a December launch, plenty of time for them to create expectations.

When you launch your new product. Try not to make political statements. Is he running for office?
One shouldn't have the right to get political when they Use child labor to mine cobalt.  Paying the kids so little that the can only eat once a week. 

Back