Twin valedictorian with cerebral palsy earns Stanford scholarship

Century High ranked last in average API score and plagued with gang violence. So it is true that the top colleges do recruit from Santa Ana high schools. This year alone numerous graduates made the TV news.

Yup! Lower performing schools have a different criteria for admission versus higher performing schools.

The real test is can these students from lower performing schools actually keep up with the rigorous curriculum at a top college. From what teachers have told my kids, these students struggle versus the ones from high performing schools. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful this girl got in and I hope she succeeds.

Dresden215 said:
Yup! Lower performing schools have a different criteria for admission versus higher performing schools.

The real test is can these students from lower performing schools actually keep up with the rigorous curriculum at a top college. From what teachers have told my kids, these students struggle versus the ones from high performing schools. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful this girl got in and I hope she succeeds.

I'm confident that the top performers in these schools will be fine in those colleges. 

I think, for the most part, they are above the struggle line.

Affirmative action, on the other hand, would lead to more struggling kids as it has a wider range that lets less qualified kids in.

IMG_0311_zpsc6c2eqo4.jpeg

IMG_0310_zpshcb8iml8.jpeg

I worked with a woman whose son went to CSUF. He ran a small business on the side and then got his MBA from the University of Chicago. I think employers would prefer an accounting or information technology degree from a state school rather than a liberal arts degree from a non-Ivy League private school.

irvinehomeshopper said:
I love to hire State college graduates too because I can always negotiate down their salary asking.

And then after a year or two of relevant experience, they will move on to better opportunities and you will be stuck with SJWs who will tell you about the latest theories they learned in their Women's Studies class or they will be lecturing you about how unfair your workplace is and demand sensitivity training  for all of your employees. They will pretend they know more than their supervisors with decades of experience because their parents paid $300,000 for their education.

Back