Montessori shcool Franchised?

gld2

Is a Montessori preschool franchised?  How can a preschool to be called "Montessori"?  do they only need a teacher to be Montessori certified, use Montessori materials, an individual of the school joins the Montessori association?  Thank you 

Easy google search:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education#Use_of_terminology

"In 1967, the US Patent Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ruled that "the term 'Montessori' has a generic and/or descriptive significance." Therefore, in the United States and most other countries, the term can be used freely without giving any guarantee of how closely, if at all, a program applies Montessori's work."

Anyone can use the term. 

There are a few things that distinguish a Montessori school:

1. Double the tuition.
2. Let kids "self discover" by playing with toys all day instead of receiving instruction.
3. Encourage children to be peaceful, granola eating hippies from a young age.

Liar Loan said:

1. Double the tuition.
In Irvine, non-Montessori schools are still pricey.
2. Let kids "self discover" by playing with toys all day instead of receiving instruction.
False. In Kinder, my kids actually received more instruction than public half/quarter day instruction.
Kids will be kids no matter where they go.

#AlternativeFacts

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:

1. Double the tuition.
False. In Kinder, my kids actually received more instruction than public half/quarter day instruction.
Kids will be kids no matter where they go.

#AlternativeFacts

I think the alternative facts stem from the fact that anyone can call themselves a Montessori. Depending on which Montessori, YMMV.

Every preschool has licensing requirements and to be called a Montessori school there are certain licensing requirements specific to Montessori that is required. But with that said you see a range of montessoris from very traditional LePort to the mom and pop laxed ones so not sure how stringent the requirements.

Paris, there is no Montessori licensing requirements.  Schools can opt to be certified through American Montessori Society but outside of that, any one can use the montessori name.  For example, IIRC Great Foundations Montessori isn't certified by AMS.  It is still a good school and many of our friends send their kids there. 

Liar Loan said:

1. Double the tuition.

You may want to read about Peter LePort and in general the whole board of the LePort Montessori schools. Can't be more of an Ayn Rand fanboy than that whole bunch of "objectivists".

One con about Montessori schools... lower chance of your kids meeting their BFFs there since they come from all over.

Once my kids got into public schools, they were able to build more stable friendships with kids from the hood.

irvinehomeowner said:
One con about Montessori schools... lower chance of your kids meeting their BFFs there since they come from all over.

Once my kids got into public schools, they were able to build more stable friendships with kids from the hood.

I think this gets undervalued a lot. For any private school in general, you end up with peers that are spread out geographically.

irvinehomeowner said:
True...  Montessori premium is not much more, but it still is more.  IMO, it's still not worth it, but that's my opinion.

irvinehomeowner said:
This is true.  The education that is taught in these private programs far exceeds what's taught in public schools.  One doesn't need to go to a Montessori to get that quality of education, though.  I found that other programs are just as good or better. 

What it doesn't prepare the kids for is the chaos of real kindergarten where there's 35 kids with one teacher and only 2 hours of instruction per day.  What a waste.

Are there really more than 30 kindergartners in Irvine classrooms?  That seems almost impossible for one person to manage, especially if there are ESL students.

P.S.  IHO, I was just ribbing Montessori.  I'm sure they do a good job, but it was fun to write down some stereotypes and see what the reaction would be.

Liar Loan said:
Are there really more than 30 kindergartners in Irvine classrooms?  That seems almost impossible for one person to manage, especially if there are ESL students.
There is usually an assistant and/or room parent.

I don't know of many ESL classes in IUSD.

P.S.  IHO, I was just ribbing Montessori.  I'm sure they do a good job, but it was fun to write down some stereotypes and see what the reaction would be.

Those stereotypes can be applied to all private preschool/school programs. But to your first point, the teacher:student ratio is probably the biggest pro to them. But like all schools, it's also very teacher dependent.

Liar Loan said:
Are the children of Asian immigrants generally fluent in English?

depends on if they were born here, or what age they came over.
If they come before about age 5-6, they are generally as fluent as native speakers of English.

In my opinion: If you can't speak English, don't expect to climb the ladder in Business. (unless you own your own business then I guess you create your own ladder)

In Medical field, IT, food, customer service, engineering. (Might be okay)

Also, if you do speak English it doesn't guarantee you anything. If the work quality is crappy, then I don't know.

eyephone said:
In my opinion: If you can't speak English, don't expect to climb the ladder in Business. (unless you own your own business then I guess you create your own ladder)

I've known IT engineers with poor English skills.  It doesn't necessarily hold them back, but I would say they are less likely to switch jobs, which could mean fewer raises.  It's a win-win for the employer if they have somebody that is underpaid but doesn't quit.

Liar Loan said:
eyephone said:

I've known IT engineers with poor English skills.  It doesn't necessarily hold them back, but I would say they are less likely to switch jobs, which could mean fewer raises.  It's a win-win for the employer if they have somebody that is underpaid but doesn't quit.

Yeah, your story fits in my exception category. (Might be okay)

But the question is: your okay with with being under paid? (I know it happens, but in my opinion it's nothing to be proud of. Maybe if you own the business, but not as a worker.)

Back