Irvine will look at alternatives to golf course at Great Park ? including garden

EXCELLENT!

Golf Course isn't going to help - we already have 3 golf courses within 15-20 minutes, what are we really getting for more golf courses?

The Great Park should be modeled after something like Balboa Park (excluding the zoo) in San Diego.  Some botanical gardens, a few museums, an actual park, and other attractions. 

paydawg said:
The Great Park should be modeled after something like Balboa Park (excluding the zoo) in San Diego.  Some botanical gardens, a few museums, an actual park, and other attractions.

Agreed.  That would uniquely attract attention in a way that a Golf Course wouldn't - some kind of Huntington Library/Garden + Balboa mix would be perfect.

What would a GP Golf Course bring that Orange County already doesn't have with its plethora of Golf Courses?

paydawg said:

Great ideas!! A  garden is much better than a golf course in my opinion.

They should just turn it over to Donald Bren and some kind of faux Mediterranean structure will get built quickly.

paydawg said:

wasn't the original grand design that they spent a ridiculous amount of money on something along that line?

it would be great if they get rid of the golf course (i'm bias) and do something more interesting and more accessible to a wide range of demographic.

capboba said:
paydawg said:

wasn't the original grand design that they spent a ridiculous amount of money on something along that line?

it would be great if they get rid of the golf course (i'm bias) and do something more interesting and more accessible to a wide range of demographic.

Like a cemetery and homeless shelter. ;)

paydawg said:
That would be a truly great park.

irvinetalker said:
paydawg said:

A golf course bring in revenue and profits.  A garden does not. 

AA said:
irvinetalker said:
paydawg said:

You have to think big picture.  A golf course doesn't distinguish Irvine from any other city/suburb.  If you have something unique, people from other cities will visit Irvine and spend their money on dining/shopping/museum tickets, etc..

the traffic is already a mess in Irvine and only will get worse.  I prefer not have thousands of more visitors to Irvine. 

AA said:
the traffic is already a mess in Irvine and only will get worse.  I prefer not have thousands of more visitors to Irvine.

This is one of my points. Just wait to the cemetery gets built.
Then add the concert venue that we talked about in another thread.

paydawg said:
AA said:
irvinetalker said:
paydawg said:

You have to think big picture.  A golf course doesn't distinguish Irvine from any other city/suburb.  If you have something unique, people from other cities will visit Irvine and spend their money on dining/shopping/museum tickets, etc..

there's nothing you can really build that will attract that many visitors and make more money.  The golf course will be golf.. plus a big clubhouse for things like weddings/events.  Just don't see a botanical garden pulling in any other revenue via tourists going to nearby restaurants or anything.

eyephone said:
AA said:

the cemetery will be built once the land swap is approved (yes this will happen) and will be near the spectrum far away from most of residential Irvine and so will be the concert venue. 

AA said:
eyephone said:
AA said:

the cemetery will be built once the land swap is approved (yes this will happen) and will be near the spectrum far away from most of residential Irvine and so will be the concert venue.

No traffic impact? (For ex. stop traffic for motorcade for cemetery, divert traffic for concert)

eyephone said:
AA said:
eyephone said:
AA said:

No traffic impact? (For ex. stop traffic for motorcade for cemetery, divert traffic for concert)

No, not much traffic impact.  both the cemetery and the new concert venue will be near the spectrum area and will have little to no impact on traffic for Irvine.  There was very little traffic impact with the now closed Verizon Amphitheater for Irvine residents.  The traffic congestion will come from all the 1000's of apartment units that TIC is building.  That is a true disgrace!  Enough already!

Since the swap seems to be the most beneficial to all, I hope the city strongly considers the realignment of the 405 off ramp onto Bake Parkway. Instead of staggering the intersection with Marine Way it would make the most sense for traffic to flow through a four way interchange for all roads.

Good for the Great Park, Vets, traffic, and visitors.

Back