Homeless Camp at the Library

Dresden215

I know this isn't in Irvine, but close enough. Passed by the Tustin library (which is temporarily closed due to water damage) and there were a couple of tents in the courtyard area. Contacted Tustin police and they confirmed it's where the homeless have chosen to set up. Tustin PD doesn't appear that they will take it down either.

Hmmm, wonder if Irvine is next?

Dresden215 said:
I know this isn't in Irvine, but close enough. Passed by the Tustin library (which is temporarily closed due to water damage) and there were a couple of tents in the courtyard area. Contacted Tustin police and they confirmed it's where the homeless have chosen to set up. Tustin PD doesn't appear that they will take it down either.

I can't even leave my trash bins outside for more than 24 hours after trash day without getting nasty notes and nasty looks....Irvine PD better not allow that!

The library is where many homeless go to use the internet, recharge cell phone batteries, and use the restroom to wash.  You may not be aware that the person is homeless as they don't look the part.

paydawg said:
Dresden215 said:

I can't even leave my trash bins outside for more than 24 hours after trash day without getting nasty notes and nasty looks....Irvine PD better not allow that!

Nasty notes and nasty looks?

lovingit said:
Homeless have cell phones?
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/lifeline/

Or you can go to target/Wal-Mart get a cheap prepaid one, access is maybe $20 for three months and use public Wi-Fi.

I heard of homeless shelters providing phones to kids because that is the only way they can do their homework. A lot of assignments require online access. Yes, there are a lot of homeless children living in Southern California and they go to school.

lovingit said:
Homeless have cell phones?

I've seen quite a few homeless folks using ATMs at night. I thought well how is it they have money and are homeless and begging in the daytime, looking like they haven't had a shower in a year?

Turns out they get social security disability payments auto deposited. They can even get other forms of assistance auto deposited too.

And yeah they have cells.

Irvine PD gets on the homeless to move along while other cities just let them stay...... politically correct you know. City of Tustin and TUSD are both of the mind that things need to be equalized economically, so not surprised they just let them stay wherever.

If it's not a state law that homeless can just set up camp anywhere then I doubt Irvine will ever let it happen.

When I was growing up you had to pay for a camp site. It was socially unacceptable to just put up a tent wherever u wanted. Now it's oh, that poor person....... they should have a right to beg wherever.

Social breakdown of society.

Drove by it today and saw a bunch of tents.  That kinda sucks.  There are more and more homeless moving into the Tustin area, it seems.  Usually I only see dozen or so in Tustin, and they are all familiar to me.  Today I saw a lot more and didn't recognize any of them.

Back