Patio landscape quote and contractor question

pricedoutJay

I just got the first estimate for my small patio (new construction) including 4 ft wide (yes... Irvine) side yard leading to a gate next to the garage.  I am waiting for 2 other contractors to contact me for estimates and  was wondering if this is good to proceed.

The estimate is about $10k for about 600 sq ft.  Mostly paved except along the wall with 2 ft clearance.  A few small trees and wall covering plants along with irrigation, drain, soil, and mulch.

I still need to chose the paver and plants, and want to change some features but basically the guy did two other neighbor's patios and came in highly recommended.  The neighbors' patios are even smaller than min by about 1/3 but their costs were also about $10k.  One had half covered by artificial turf which might have increased the cost.

So again (never done this before...) what do you think?  Should I go ahead with the first contractor and save time or do a couple more estimates and possibly delay the start date with the first contractor?  He seemed very busy and told me up front that he'll have to hop job to job so it will take minimum 2 weeks...

irvineorbust said:
I just got the first estimate for my small patio (new construction) including 4 ft wide (yes... Irvine) side yard leading to a gate next to the garage.  I am waiting for 2 other contractors to contact me for estimates and  was wondering if this is good to proceed.

The estimate is about $10k for about 600 sq ft.  Mostly paved except along the wall with 2 ft clearance.  A few small trees and wall covering plants along with irrigation, drain, soil, and mulch.

I still need to chose the paver and plants, and want to change some features but basically the guy did two other neighbor's patios and came in highly recommended.  The neighbors' patios are even smaller than min by about 1/3 but their costs were also about $10k.  One had half covered by artificial turf which might have increased the cost.

So again (never done this before...) what do you think?  Should I go ahead with the first contractor and save time or do a couple more estimates and possibly delay the start date with the first contractor?  He seemed very busy and told me up front that he'll have to hop job to job so it will take minimum 2 weeks...
I have neither gotten an estimate nor have I got my backyard landscaped but based on the details you provided above you have my blessings to go with the first contractor.  Just get it done and enjoy:)

I have neither gotten an estimate nor have I got my backyard landscaped but based on the details you provided above you have my blessings to go with the first contractor.  Just get it done and enjoy:)
[/quote]

Thank you, boss.. :p

Just talked to 2nd contractor.  The job is too small for him wanting minimum $40k up, and he wants cash payment.  No credit card accepted.  After down payment, upgrades, moving, and stuff, I am running low in cash let alone $40k to throw around for small patio covering...

It will be nice if you can post the first contractors name and contact info who is willing to do the small projects.  it will be even better if you provide an update on his performance if you end up using him

Back