Does IUSD require students learn a musical instrument?

paydawg

I heard that IUSD elementary students are required to take a music class and learn an instrument?  Can someone confirm if this is true and at what grade does this start? 

With all the FCB' kids learning piano at an early age, will my kids be behind if I wait until it's required thru the school?

paydawg said:
I heard that IUSD elementary students are required to take a music class and learn an instrument?  Can someone confirm if this is true and at what grade does this start? 

With all the FCB' kids learning piano at an early age, will my kids be behind if I wait until it's required thru the school?

Have your kid study the pan flute under Bulgarian experts on summer break (iow, swing over to Bucharest on a Mediterranean vacation and pick one up and insist the local expert [store keeper] show him a song on it)  then insist the school accommodate his instrumental choice to guarantee their being first chair.

The 192 parents of the little pianists that aren't first chair will be envious of your future position for college placement.

paydawg said:
Nevermind.  I found my answer on the IUSD site.
The considerate thing to do would be to post your findings and not leave us hanging.  Just sayin...

The wife says that the kids will be required to learn an instrument.

spootieho said:
paydawg said:
The considerate thing to do would be to post your findings and not leave us hanging.  Just sayin...

By 4th grade

spootieho said:
paydawg said:

No, they just have to be in the music program for grades 4-6, either an instrument or vocal:
https://iusd.org/about/departments/...-and-performing-arts/music/instrumental-music

Music instruction is given in a "block music" system.  Unlike the more common "pull-out" system, students do not miss regular classroom instruction to participate in the music program.  In Irvine, all students receive music education and music is considered as important as all other curricular activities. Students receive two forty-minute lessons a week.
In fourth grade, each student has the option of either participating in the vocal music program or learning to play a string instrument (violin, viola, or cello).
Fifth grade students may either participate in the vocal music program, continue to play a string instrument if they played one the previous year, or begin a wind instrument (flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, or baritone). 
Sixth grade students are given the opportunity to participate in the vocal music program or continue with a more intensive study on their chosen instrument.

This also means an instrumental concert every year (for vocal, they may do it more often at the school).

Back