Why WB get less rating than SG?

OH gets top rating, understandable.

Why Eastwood gets second highest in comparison to other builds? Only NW school.

Then why WB East and SG East lower than WB and  SG??

What is sooo special in SG vs. WB?

Just trying to get rationale or all these polls.

Between Sand Canyon and the toll Road is a narrow but long strip of land known as the Gaza Strip. The "East" meant they were conceived out of wedlock known as the bastards. Rather than getting a brand new identity. They got the hand me down names. Woodbury and Stonegate were the first born and destined to be the next king or queen. The Gaza Strip will be forever the Duke.

South of Northwood is El Camino known as South Central.

I am not an expert but following is what I have come to believe:
1. SG: Best elementary school v/s WB: Year round/ not so highly rated school
2. EW: NW high and low MR
3. PS: School is doing great, as you could see in rankings, but stigma of cemetery (We will know in June end, but most likely, land swap is happening)
If we believe price appreciation is mainly due to Asians and for them number #1 requirement is: school. PERIOD!

Sunnyirvine said:
OH gets top rating, understandable.

Why Eastwood gets second highest in comparison to other builds? Only NW school.

Then why WB East and SG East lower than WB and  SG??

What is sooo special in SG vs. WB?

Just trying to get rationale or all these polls.

WB has condos throughout, which makes for a lot more people living in a condensed area.  SG has some apartments in the front but don't think they have (attached) condos or at least not many if so.  Makes SG feel more spacious and not littered with cars clogging the parking areas on every street like WB. 

Drive the streets of WB and SG at 9pm on a weeknight, you can feel the difference.

Sunnyirvine said:
Okay.

Why SG is winner over WB because it's new or something else?

"New" probably due to better newer products with more updated floor plan and at a more desirable price point.

At the Irvine housing price bottom  in the late 2011 to mid 2012, there's not much of new entry level products in WB. However, Stonegate offer a lot of highly popular entry level products at a very attractive price.

Take  San Mateo (the original Petaluma, starting at mid $500k), Saratoga (original Terrazaa, a smaller version Piedmont, starting at mid $700k) and Santa Maria (similar to Helena and Avalon, starting at low $400k) for example.  These homes are still highly popular and a huge sale success even at today's expensive prices.   

aquabliss said:
WB has condos throughout, which makes for a lot more people living in a condensed area.  SG has some apartments in the front but don't think they have (attached) condos or at least not many if so.  Makes SG feel more spacious and not littered with cars clogging the parking areas on every street like WB. 

Drive the streets of WB and SG at 9pm on a weeknight, you can feel the difference.

+1 on all points.  I live in stonegate currently and have friends in Woodbury and been to many open houses in Woodbury so I know the location well.  Woodbury, in my opinion, is a mess planning wise.  It feels very congested, tons of attached condos and their detached products are like courtyard style.  Meaning no driveway and usually 6 homes are attached in a courtyard on the front door.  Parking is terrible if you want to visit friends as most of the parallel parking is full at anytime of the night.  And the grid set up, most 1st timers without google maps will get lost from within.  Where Woodbury shines is their true SFR on the South side.  That is an amazing community, very SG like, but unfortunately it feels like 2 entirely different communities.  Traffic/stop lights is an issue too.  If you live in woodbury and are walking on the street, always be looking left and right as people will speed up to 45-60 within those small streets and might get run over.  It's set up where houses are on the main streets within woodbury so crossing the street is dangerous whereas, Stonegate is like grided more securely where you have to turn into a street before you get the houses, hard to explain sorry.  SG's bread and butter is a bunch of San Mateo/Petaluma plans everywhere mixed in with some cambra/Helena type and the rest large SFR with only a few plots of land set aside to attached condos so everything feels less congested.  I think that's a huge reason why resale is so strong there in comparison. 

So, seems like the reason experts are saying is: floor plans/layout.
Have experts looked at Qual hill, turtle ridge, turtle rock plans/layouts? What is their take on layouts in these neighborhoods?
And, if SG plans are so great, why are they selling lower than EW?

SG streets does not have cars because the tracts are inverted.  No one will park on the big main lanes as you would walk a lot to get into your tract.  WB has better curb appeal with houses facing the streets but then you get cars parking on those streets.

OCLuvr said:
And, if SG plans are so great, why are they selling lower than EW?

If I had to give 2 reasons, MR and School.
Stonegate total tax is quite high like 1.8 or 1.9% while Eastwood is 1.3 or 1.4% in comparison.  I'm a simple guy.  If prices were the same, I'd go for the Eastwood equivalent.  2nd school, Eastwood is zoned to Northwood which is a for sure winner.  While SG will go to Portola which is an unknown

OCLuvr said:
Have experts looked at Qual hill, turtle ridge, turtle rock plans/layouts? What is their take on layouts in these neighborhoods?

Never been to turtle ridge but turtle rock is probably still the gold standard for Irvine.  It's literally all true SFR with driveways.  Most of the lots have nice mountain view or city views, other benefits are the large sq ft and nice backyard size.  Next to Concordia which helps and lots of walking trails and parks.  I obviously can't afford it but I'd love to live there

TIC view EW is same as Northwood Point and probably use Northwood's current selling price as a reference pint and market the home price accordingly.

1.8% is probably from 2013 pricing. Based on today's pricing, it should be similar. Exactly, what I said in my earlier post--schools and low MR :)
What my understanding has been so far: It doesn't matter, if your schools are great, people (since most buyers are Asian) would come and buy. If schools were very similar, then, plans/layout come into picture.
Using this logic, comparison between SG and WB becomes no-brainer.

lnc said:
TIC view EW is same as Northwood Point and probably use Northwood's current selling price as a reference pint and market the home price accordingly.

Yup and I see that in EW pricing. Pretty much, everything is 10% higher from SG.

OCLuvr said:
lnc said:

Yup and I see that in EW pricing. Pretty much, everything is 10% higher from SG.

You forgot to consider the wildcard.  ;)

That means mostly, for home appreciation either the topography, gated guarded high end homes (even TUSD) orchard hills or IUSD communities with 1) UNI High 2) NW high are the winners.

Back