Costs of backyard landscaping

emf1315

Reading through previous posts about landscaping,  it seems like the average cost for landscaping is 20-30k.  But obviously size and scope of work determine those costs.

Is it possible to do simple landscaping for a tiny (11x8) backyard for about 5k?  Has anyone done that at all?

Do HOAs allow owners to do their own landscaping?  I'm thinking river rocks and simple concrete slab.  Thoughts?

Back in 2008, we bought new construction in the IE.  HOA approved our plan of pavers,  river rock,  and a tiny retaining wall.  We did everything ourselves.  Is this even a possibility in the oc, particularly baker ranch?

Attached pic is my DIY backyard.

emf1315 said:
Reading through previous posts about landscaping,  it seems like the average cost for landscaping is 20-30k.  But obviously size and scope of work determine those costs.

Is it possible to do simple landscaping for a tiny (11x8) backyard for about 5k?  Has anyone done that at all?

Do HOAs allow owners to do their own landscaping?  I'm thinking river rocks and simple concrete slab.  Thoughts?

Back in 2008, we bought new construction in the IE.  HOA approved our plan of pavers,  river rock,  and a tiny retaining wall.  We did everything ourselves.  Is this even a possibility in the oc, particularly baker ranch?

The HOA won't care who does the landscaping.  But if you can afford a home in Baker Ranch, you can probably afford to spend the money for professional landscaping.  Honestly, your DIY job doesn't look that great.

It reminds me of the FCB's who spend millions on a brand new home and then buy bedsheets to use as window coverings.

WTTCHMN said:
emf1315 said:

The HOA won't care who does the landscaping.  But if you can afford a home in Baker Ranch, you can probably afford to spend the money for professional landscaping.  Honestly, your DIY job doesn't look that great.

It reminds me of the FCB's who spend millions on a brand new home and then buy bedsheets to use as window coverings.
Have a professional do it. Of all of the expenditures on a new build, don't cut corners on landscaping. Usually the outdoor space is used frequently in Socal and is a good value when you compare it to other places where you put your hard-earned $ on a new build.

WTTCHMN said:
emf1315 said:

Haha, wow!  Well,  we were 25 years old,  uninformed,  and were inspired to do our own big project.  We were proud of the hard work!

I was younger at the time so budget was an issue.  For like the cheapest possible route, I was able to do my stonegate home with half cheap concrete and the rest the red bricks from a professional.  It was under $5k.  The concrete was cut into little sectionals so it didn't look like complete DIY.  You def get what you pay for though.  If I could do it again, I would probably have spent more money to get it done and added a nice barbeque island or pavers. 

Yes $5K very doable.  That would be $56 per sq ft.  Nice pavers run $10-15 per sq ft and concrete runs $8-12 per sq ft.  This pricing might be for larger projects but at $56 per sq ft, you have a lot of choices.  2-3 materials and clean design will make it look spacious. 

Back