Kumon and common core

Yuchiy2

My first grader started Kumon because I felt he was getting confused because of all the different strategies to solve one problem they teach with common core.
At Kumon they are just taught how to solve the problems like before common core. Just simple get to the answer strategies.
But at school they want students to show how they got the answers and even if the answer is right, if students don't write exactly how they got to the answer they will get points off.

If your child has done Kumon, how did you deal with this battle between common core and the Kumon way of solving math problems?

Thanks.

I feel Common Core is the way to go, it enforces knowing how, not just knowing what.

Kumon is good for repetitive practice and building muscle memory and it does help but I think it's a bit old school.

Kumon is to build up arithmetic skills, not problem solving skills. This method is essentially incompatible with common core or learning mathematics. However, having strong arithmetic skills is enables learning math quicker - but you can get there by doing your own worksheets and not paying some unqualified Math instructor (although trained in the Kumon method).

jmoney74 said:
Eye level has some problem solving in it's program.

My friend has her 2 sons in Eye Level but claims she's thinking of pulling them out because it is NOT common core aligned and that it's "drill and kill".  I wonder if she's lying to me. 

paydawg said:
jmoney74 said:

My friend has her 2 sons in Eye Level but claims she's thinking of pulling them out because it is NOT common core aligned and that it's "drill and kill".  I wonder if she's lying to me.

It's not common core but uses problem solving.  I had my son in there last summer.  However, I don't know what Kumon is like to compare. 

jmoney74 said:
paydawg said:
jmoney74 said:

It's not common core but uses problem solving.  I had my son in there last summer.  However, I don't know what Kumon is like to compare.

Did you think it was worth it?  Or is easily recreated at home with various worksheets and workbooks?  Care to share why he was only there for the summer? 

paydawg said:
jmoney74 said:
paydawg said:
jmoney74 said:

Did you think it was worth it?  Or is easily recreated at home with various worksheets and workbooks?  Care to share why he was only there for the summer?

Nothing else to do. Lol

It's just work books. Can be recreated at home but takes commitment.

I can give some input on the Kumon method as I took some classes growing up.  I'm not that old so I'm sure Kumon hasn't changed much

Kumon was very repetitive, essentially doing the same thing until you did it faster and faster.  There wasn't much other things taught.  Class was basically worksheet after worksheet and timed tests in class while the homework was the next lesson's worksheets.  Things considered, my multiplication table/algebra/etc became quite fast and got me through high school easily.  But higher math in college it was no help as I didn't do those worksheets yet.  So if you need some math drilled in your head, very effective.  If you wanted a stronger math base to build upon, I'm not sure Kumon is the best...hope that helped. 

Back