DirecTV Now with HBO for only $10/month with AT&T Unlimited Plus

irvinehomeowner

Went into an AT&T store to ask some questions about the "unlimited" plan and upgrading our devices.

In trying to sell me DirecTV, he offered their streaming service, DirecTV Now. Like Sling, YouTube TV and PS Vue, it's basically a cord-cutting service that offers life local and cable channels, and On-Demand.

The entry level plan is $35/mo with 60+ live channels but if you have the Unlimited Plus wireless plan, they give you a $25 credit and HBO for free. So for $10/mo with HBO and considering Cox charges me $15.99 for HBO, that's a deal.

I tried out the app, it doesn't have as many older episodes/seasons as I would hope but if you are looking into cord cutting, the price and free HBO is a plus.

The other plus is when you are on an AT&T device, using the DirecTV Now app does not use data (for that 22GB cap on "unlimited" service).

The only problem is for any non-Smart TVs, you need to run either ChromeCast, Amazon Fire TV or Apple TV.

I just checked my Cox bill and they charge me $180 for TV service so I might just drop them altogether.

I have the sling, and with old (non smart) tv and old chrome cast (apparently there's a better 4K version), it buffers horribly.

Phone, tablets, pc works fine

Old tv plus the roku they give for free works fine

Cut cable a long time ago, but the problem with these cord cutters is the lack of local channels.  Still need hd antenna somewhere.

Maybe I'll try directv now next, non contract, another benefit

Yep, non-contract and it does have local TV.

We have a TV that just uses one of those flat antennas and it works fine for HD local channels.

Instead of DirecTV Now, I may just sign up with DirecTV for $25/mo for 2 years.

The app has issues when it goes to commercials and it doesn't run quite right on iOS devices. Plus, it doesn't have every episode or the On Demand has gaps (episodes are missing).

I'm not sure if the Direct TV app is better but for that I can at least use the DVR and skip commercials on playback.

I guess I'm not quite ready to completely cut the cord, just the cost... although we've been using the Hulu 30-day free trial and that service is better than DirecTV Now (although many more commercials).

I can also try PSVue or YouTube TV.

irvinehomeowner said:
Instead of DirecTV Now, I may just sign up with DirecTV for $25/mo for 2 years.

The app has issues when it goes to commercials and it doesn't run quite right on iOS devices. Plus, it doesn't have every episode or the On Demand has gaps (episodes are missing).

I'm not sure if the Direct TV app is better but for that I can at least use the DVR and skip commercials on playback.

I guess I'm not quite ready to completely cut the cord, just the cost... although we've been using the Hulu 30-day free trial and that service is better than DirecTV Now (although many more commercials).

I can also try PSVue or YouTube TV.

I've heard quite a bit of negative feedback about the NOW app. I have access to the U-verse live stream app and DirecTV app...debating just using those rather than signing up for DirecTV Now.

Back