Parasol Park vs Baker Ranch

I would take Baker Ranch to save $5k/year in Mello Roos unless you really want the amenities of the 5P community. Like future water park, walk to future retail, etc.

Having an oppertunaty that your kids can attending IUSD school without the requirement of buying an expensive Irvine home and paying that ridiculously high MR, that is almost as good as winning a lottery.

Are you sure you really want to buy a home in Irvine?  :)

emf1315 said:
We are not huge fans of the style of Parasol Park homes,  but I'm thinking that resale will be better in Irvine IF we choose to sell in the future.  Although,  our plan is to purchase a home to live in permanently.

I am on my 3rd 'permanent' home. In other words, circumstances and/or preferences change so I believe resale value should always be a part of one's decision to buy a home even if the initial intention is to live in it for the foreseeable future. Both sound like good options, and if you're buying a new build in either community should get you some equity with subsequent phase releases. Good luck!

Pick the home you think will make more money...cause you know ...money gives you choices.

I'm obviously biased lol but I pick baker ranch for saving $5k a year for MR since you don't need irvine zip code. We have lots of amenities here compared to most new irvine builds (club house/jr Olympic pools/parks) like Eastwood/stonegate but less than some products like parasol or great park etc but you get what you pay for

I walked into the landing and really liked it the 4 bedroom. Or you can be my neighbor at the knolls.  69 clover is for sale now and knolls location is better than landing in my opinion. On sale for 828k now with good upgrades (no need for sales center), maybe shoot them a 820k offer and see if they bite

Good luck

emf1315 said:
lnc said:
Having an oppertunaty that your kids can attending IUSD school without the requirement of buying an expensive Irvine home and paying that ridiculously high MR, that is almost as good as winning a lottery.

Yup! We struck education gold!  Actually, the only reason for us to purchase in Irvine is for resale (IF we even decide to sell again - we want to purchase a permanent home at this point in our lives) and proximity to work.

Good point regarding to Irvine resale.  However, the high taxes of Parasol Park might be it's Achilles' heel and the appreciation might not be any better than Baker Ranch.

lnc said:
Good point regarding to Irvine resale.  However, the high taxes of Parasol Park might be it's Achilles' heel and the appreciation might not be any better than Baker Ranch.

Price in Irvine will hold up much better in case of down turn. It will also sell faster if you should need to move. These are intangibles that should be considered.

lnc said:
emf1315 said:
lnc said:

Yup! We struck education gold!  Actually, the only reason for us to purchase in Irvine is for resale (IF we even decide to sell again - we want to purchase a permanent home at this point in our lives) and proximity to work.

I find it very difficult to find an answers for the question of where to buy from different posters. Everyone who provided an answer here will have their own opinion where to buy and the reasons they bought into it. You have to have a ranking methodology of your own. Must have items and the benefit of each of the community, now and into the future. Only then you can decide for yourself. I would not trust someone tell me where to put nearly a million dollars without having a strongly decision on my own first.

On the other hand, your spouse should be for your first source of decision making.

EMF, I was in the same position as you a few years back.  We ended up choosing Irvine / GP but honestly I think we would have been equally happy in Baker Ranch. 

Location in GP is a bit better but we find ourselves going to Foothill Ranch a lot for dinner with the kids (Soup Plantation, Red Robin, Islands, etc.)

I say buy in Baker Ranch, take the $5k MR you would have paid in GP and invest it monthly in S&P 500 index fund then in 10 years you'll probably be ahead of the Paraol Park home when you take the value of your BR home + your investment value.

Either that or set aside the $5k and blow it annually on a great 1 week vacation with the fam.

i don't see you saying anything nice about PP with the exception of resale value.  No matter where you are, you will want to feel comfortable, and if your minds can't settle on PP with the exception of resale, I'd go Baker Ranch.

I'm also kind of confused that Baker Ranch is that expensive - same size, same lot (or lack thereof), same everything...and the only difference is 5-6K MR?  I guess IRV has no price premium in this instance.

I feel that living near where you work and where your kids go to school has benefits beyond monetary savings.

Is new your only option? Why not resale in Irvine?

emf1315 said:
Hi folks,

My family and I are trying to decide between buying in Parasol Park (Carlsisle) or Baker Ranch (Landing).

Both homes are similar in pricing and square footage,  although the Baker Ranch home has 4 bedrooms,  but Parasol Park home only has 3 (plus a bonus room in 3rd floor).

My husband and I both work for IUSD, so our kids will be attending Irvine schools,  even if we live outside of Irvine.  Therefore, school district is not a factor in this decision.

We have been preapproved by Shea for 800k, so we will be able to afford these homes without the upgrades.

We are not huge fans of the style of Parasol Park homes,  but I'm thinking that resale will be better in Irvine IF we choose to sell in the future.  Although,  our plan is to purchase a home to live in permanently.

Anyway,  would you choose to live in Baker Ranch if the home looks better and has a nicer floorplan than an Irvine home?  Again, school district is not an issue.

I thought IUSD has a strict intradistrict transfer policy transferring into a IUSD. (nearly impossible)
So there is an exception?

Back